Good street GPS $300-$400 ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Calikatoom, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Calikatoom

Calikatoom Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give me some good advice for a moto GPS between 300-400 bucks? It will be a Xmas gift for a cousin who is a street rider.

Do the Nuvi models stand up well?

Whats the scoop?

Thanks ahead of time!

Gail
  2. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I got my Nuvi 500 for $170 refurbished on Amazon. Another $40 or so got me the Ram mount setup.

There aren't many waterproof GPS units around in that price range. The only reason I can see to buy a Zumo is for the bluetooth out feature. The 500 can be hacked to provide an earphone jack very simply.

If waterproofing isn't important to you, then you have about a million choices for less than $200.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Garmin Montana 600 is at the top of your price range, and it doesn't include maps, but it is the best you can get right now and probably for some time to come.

Check http://gpscity.com for details and prices.

I just checked GPSCity and it has the 600 at $459, and the 650 at the same price. Good deal on the 650, but if you prefer the 600, you could likely get them to match the GPSCentral.ca price of $400 until Dec 12.
  4. River Pilot

River Pilot "Razor Six"

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon Calikatoom,

Yes, there are some options. The Garmin Zumo and Garmin Montana series are going to be best in class GPS devices.

For the price range you are looking at, and street motorcycle oriented, you will want a Garmin Zumo 220. Retail is $399 and can be purchased for around $369 with some searching. That unit was discontinued in the last few weeks which will be reflected on major websites shortly. If you look quickly, you can get a "new in box" unit by Christmas. Strategically, buying recently discontinued units may not be the best direction to go in for future support and compatibility but, will work if necessary.

The Garmin Nuvi 500/550 is a non Zumo version of the physical Zumo 220 unit. The OS and features are different as well as not having the mounts for motorcycles included. However, it can be used as a Zumo light.

The Montana is a great choice and any of them 6xx will work but will be more of a long term investment.

A used garmin Zumo 660 or 660LM would be a good choice.

Finally, a new Garmin Oregon 550 can be used on a motorcycle. Oregon 450 as well (without the camera). A new in box unit is $350 and with a CNNT map and some mounting hardware, it will work both on the street, trail and hiking. It was the best in class unit for this prior to the arrival of the Montana 6xx series.

River Pilot Tours
    Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
    PH: (01) 307-222-6347
    E: tours@riverspilot.com
    Web: www.riverspilot.com
    Store: http://www.riverspilot.com/Store
    GPS Software Titles: http://shop.spotitout.com
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I recommend not buying any gps which uses the mini USB connector for power. That includes the Oregon/Dakota/Nuvi 500/550. Mini USB as a power source is far too fragile for long term motorcycle use.
  6. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My nuvi still works, however, trying to charge on the fly is now sketchy at best. Any movement causes it to think the power has been removed. What else is there, though?
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The Montana, of course. It has a much better power connection.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    ...when used with a mount that powers the Montana through the mount itself.

Some mounts merely hold the Montana without powering it, and you still have to use the mini-USB jack - those are not the way to go, IMHO.
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There are very few mounts made for the Montana and the cheapest and best is the $33 Garmin Rugged Mount which powers the Montana through surface contacts and is lockable. What a bargain.

If anyone chooses a RAM mount instead of that, they're not thinking this through very well.
  10. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 220 which I bought when my Zumo 450 broke down. The 220 was a big disappointment after having used a 450.:eek1 Thankfully I have the 450 running again, thanks to the digitizer thread here.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528905
    If you want something like the 220 just buy a Nuvi 500 or 550 and save yourself some money. I think you can get a New Nuvi for less then $250

Yep, here is a 550 with an auto/moto bundle for $290. I am sure you can get it cheaper still but GPS city is a good place to buy from.

http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=gps+receivers/&p=1&t=Motorcycle+GPS