Rally WV 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by poondangle, May 21, 2013.

1. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    I swear I read somewhere that the bikes could pour the sand out of the road triangles, but now I can't find where I saw that. Am I making that up?
  2. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

yes you can pour the sand out of the triangles.
  3. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:
    2 Days, 11 Hours left for Rally WV Early Entry price...

38 Days, 14 hours until Rally WV
  4. raak

raak n00b

Oddometer:
    I am considering participating in this rally. This will be my first rally in the United States ... Excited and somewhat nervous (don't know why) :)

So all I need is,
    NASA membership
    NASA Rally License
    Entry Fee

... as far as documentation is concerned?

What would be the best set of tires to use on a KTM 500 EXC?

I'll be going in from New Jersey. Really excited.
  5. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right- Are you in contact with the org?

try John @ rallywv dot com

165 miles is sure a lot of miles, especially if you do that loooong night stage, and hopefully you'll get to do the hill climb again. That was fun. :D
  6. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Hard to go wrong with Michelin S12's.
  7. ct_rider

ct_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just submitted my entry and look forward to trying out Rally WV for the first time!
    Ken
  8. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    I noticed in the sup regs the new competitor's orientation was on Thursday night. In the rally guide, it's on Friday night. I contacted RWV via Facebook, and their response was that the sup regs were correct. Looks like my travel plans just got bumped up a few hours. Any cheap places to stay Thursday night?
  9. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: Last year Jason put together a great condo deal at Snowshoe and a bunch of us stayed there. The location was perfect and it was a nice place too.

We should do the same again this year. I'll contact Jason and get the comtact info for the condo owner, I think they let let us back in. :D

Jack
  10. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey:So I spoke to Jason and he gave me the contact for the rental agency at Snowshoe.

IMHO, the 2012 RallyWV was the best RallyMoto I ever raced. FYI it was my 9th or 10th. What made it great was the course and organization of the Rally itself, but also the lodging was close to the Rally center, the service, the start and finish. Plus there were great restaurants and bars nearby. And it goes without saying the comadre of the group staying at the condo couldn't be better.

This year the service is far away, and the Rally will be alot longer time and distance wise. Looking at the Stage schedule, it looks like we Start Day One at appx 8 AM and Finish at appx 9 PM. Then Day Two Starts at appx 9 AM and Finishes at appx 5 PM. Never mind having Registration, Inspection, Recce and Shakedown on Friday. It's going to be a long weekend, and being close to the Start and Finish will make things alot easier, and fun.

So, after talking to the rental agent, Loggers Run # 5
    5 Bedrooms, sleeps 12
    4 Bathrooms

is available for appx $1800 from Thu Night to Mon Noon. So if we get 6 people, it's appx $300 each, or do the math for more or less roomies. :D

If this dosen't work out there are smaller units, but not as close.

Think it over and contact me asap. My email is

jack-bsm@comcast.net

or call my cell 732 995 4343.

Thanks
    Jack
  11. Seth S

Oddometer:
    The S12's will work....though they are a soft terrain (read sand) tire. You might look around for something intended more for harder terrain (softer compound) tire. My recollection of RWV is that it was fairly hard packed ground with a lot of loose stone and shale like rock.
  12. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I did some more looking and there are many more housing options that would be in the same price range or less. These other units are either located at the ski area or on the opposite ridge but look like they would still work well. Many with pricing around $345/night. Figure on 3 to 4 nights.
  13. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like they finally wised up to the fact people wanted a summer rental as well. It ran about half that price the last few years.
  14. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Yep. it's a pretty broad mix of terrain. Anything with a knob spacing that will dig in the loose gravel that accumulates in the center of the road where the logging trucks don't pack it down.

maybe I should have said run whatever tire you are comfortable with. Nothing beats being confident when the bike is wiggling around under you.

If I learned anything from the 20 seconds I was able to hang with Bradway after he passed me(blew by like I wasn't moving really) last year it's that you make up the most time by braking later into the turns and getting back on the throttle sooner on the exit. Seems obvious but I mean really late and really agressive braking with both brakes. And there was something about body position... Damn can't remember...smoooth throttle...or...clutch and trail brake.....I should have practiced this a little this year..... maybe I didn't learn anything last year....:huh

So any tire you think will let you do all that:rofl.
  15. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Jack,

Check out these folks that were listed the rally guide.

We got a condo in the Sawmill village area up above the service area and it was pretty close to last year's price with the discount. They have some places in The Timbers as well which is also just above the service area.

First Tracts Real Estate and Rentals
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Book 3 nights with First Tracts Realty and receive half off of the third night OR book four nights and get the 5th night free! Several rental options are available. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Use the call number 1-866-394-5451 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]www.firsttracts.com [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

-Braden
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at their site. Found a nice unit with a garage but someone already snagged it. Sent them an email asking about other units with garages and just got a form email response back :bluduh
  17. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    I told them to black list you for contradicting my tire recommendation.:evil:rofl
  18. Seth S

Oddometer:

yes I suspected as much. I told them I was in your group and you were covering the rental fees. :evil
  19. Seth S

Oddometer:
    That said i do see 2 places worth renting that are inexpensive and big enough for our team and still on the mountain.
  20. SquadraCorse

SquadraCorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a roof over my head for this event, so if anyone needs more bodies to contribute to a condo rental hit me up.