2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Was the bike's sentinel not working ?
  3. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Well, a guy is laying in some bedding that is difficult to extract oneself from in a hurry, in what I assume is a designated sleeping area, or an area that should be free from loud American tourists driving around in loud cars.

The said person in bedding vacates his bedding to attend to non sleeping tasks, and under 1 minute later, a competitors car drives over the bedding.

Now if the said person that was formally in the bedding was still in the said bedding, Robby would have gotten his tires and some of his under body covered in mechanic...

I thought it was pretty easy to understand, but I'm guessing fans of the loud mouth American tourist need lots of things explained to them.:rofl
  4. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fans of boring sewing machines should stay at home to do the knitting.

Stop bashing Americans you naive old man. Seriously you're showing your naivety.
  5. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    :huh

Seriously, what are you on about?

Just because I don't like one American does not make it a post bashing all Americans.

And I don't even understand what you mean by "Fans of boring sewing machines".
  6. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:

What, have "Americans" now suddenly achieved some special untouchable status?

Get over yourself, your nation and stop being an arrogent, nationalistic :jerko

That way you can broaden your horizons.
  7. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
  8. frank wheelbarrow

frank wheelbarrow ten four

Oddometer:
    NORTHERN UTAH, PLANET EARTH ITS ALL THE SAME!!!
    Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    Henry Louis Mencken

With the race being such a grueling event of man and machine, I've always wondered why so much focus is given to everybody's country of origin? Does it make you stronger?

Planet earth its all the same!!!
  9. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Gordon should be banned in motorcycle forums. He is a disgrace and a danger for all bikes in spite of their nationality. He is in the starting line because of the money and Dakar is all about the money.

About the rivality, europe-america, from this side of the pool, there is not a such. What I hear from people in the known, americans have a long way to go. Good motocrossers...........
  10. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Definitely a Eurocentric race. There are many more Americans interested in it than ever before. Rally on, all nationalities aside!!!
  11. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Well, Robby Gordon never fails to stir up the controversy no matter what the topic. My only interjection is to settle down, enjoy the race, sit back and prepare for the coming onslaught of F5 caliber information overload. :lol3
  12. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto and Auto by the look of things :clap:clap
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    :stupid

Wot 'e said...
  14. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Good question!

For me, up to a point, it's about the "underdogness" factor :D I like it better when people do well and they are coming from smaller/poorer/less powerful nations. Note that in terms of Dakar, a less powerful nation could mean the mighty US of A. It was much harder for an american moto privateer to race the African Dakar than it was for, say, a Dutch one. (not so sure of that nowadays, with El Dakaro, and definitely not the case about Mr Gordon with his mega-dollar operation).

What is very funny about Gordon is that he accepts to race his trucks on a race with very strict regulations (that keep his truck topology limited). But anyway the guy accepts the rules, announces every year that he is going to kick ass (under the said rules) and every year he goes back home getting his ass kicked by the sewing machines. :rofl But I do like to see him in the race - just don't like the US vs Them attitude. YMMV
  15. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    By the look of that crashed nav tower, I would say probably not :D
  16. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me the Dakar is about a true global event of man (and woman) and machine.:clap

Nationality seems to have very little to do with it; favourites yes, both riders, teams and machines, but it does seem to transcend country of origin to a great extent.:freaky

Must admit though, the brash loud mouth Yank in the bright red gas guzzling V8 Hummer does tend to nationalise the greatest race on earth just a little :rofl:rofl:rofl

Wouldn't quite be the same without him though :clap:clap
  17. gbranham

gbranham Kool-aid Drinking Infidel KVNY Los Angeles

Oddometer:
    :roflA preemptive thanks to all you guys with the rallie info fire hoses. It's gonna be a great event here on this site!
  18. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    woudn't you notice that big orange monster is behind you???.

For the audience, nationality is important. If you are dutch, german, english.......of course it isn't. If you are french or spanish and lately, portuguese, it does matter. Another thing is the other dakar, in which is just man and machine.
    Of course, north americans believe they have a chance because they won motocross of nations and Baja1000.

By the way, Africa Race seems to be picking up and making finally a nice starting grid. Perhaps some people start to get tired.
  19. Nomadador

Nomadador ...

Oddometer:
    Gordon might almost hit riders, but Peterhansel actually hits riders. :D
    Gordon certainly has his loose cannon moments, but at least he brings energy and personality and a clear enthusiasm for racing hard, because really, at the heart of it, everyone there is ultra competitive, and charges hard, he just makes it more visible...
    [​IMG]
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Difference is Peterhasel went out and found the rider at the end of the stage and apologized, then went to officials to get some time back for the rider...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.