Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    HI Mac,

The rims do have a certain way to go because the nipples are punched in a certain way to make sure they align properly. It's real minimal, but can cause the nipples to bind on the spokes if it's not laced correctly.

The only way to tell is by the arrow, and if you can see the nipple holes are staggered correctly with the hub side you are lacing it with.

Let us know if you have pics to see if we can help out.

thanks zach

2. flyingscotsmac

flyingscotsmac Mac

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zach. I took a closer look and see what you mean about the nipples. Fortunately, it looks as if they were laced in the correct orientation so I think I'm good to go.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody's,
    My GSA front wheel is staying over with you guys for a few days. You wouldn't believe how hard I hit the rock that caused the bend. Those are some tough wheels. Thanks, Jim
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Glad we can help, let us know if you have any other questions.

thanks zach

5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Bummer, just glad you came out better than the wheel did,

We'll contact you when we receive your wheel, Let us know if you have any questions.

thanks zach

6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

It does indeed help. I will get my hub and hoop out to you asap. For 11 buckaroos I think I will take that 1 year warranty. :clap

Thank you Woody and Zach. :freaky
  7. Perun

Perun Perun moto! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello from distant part of Europe!

I want to instal Excel rim on OEM front hub of my BMW X-challenge, and I would really appriciate if you could help me to clear some things, since I am to far to use your services.

I want to use Excel IC_408 rim, used on KTM's, is that a good match?

Can I use OEM spokes and nipples, or should I look for something else (and what else)?

Thank you and keep up the great work!
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    The X-Challenge is a bit of an odd-ball set-up on the front as the nipple holes are only 0.250"(really small) and there is no Excel 21x1.60" rim with that small a nipple hole. Some of the stock Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki wheels have 0.280" nipple holes(there are only a couple aftermarket, the better quality double signature Excels that have as small as 0.300" nipples holes, most come with 0.320" nipple holes), so you may be able to find a nipple with 0.280" body diameter and 3.5mm gauge to fit the stock 3.5mm gauge spokes. There are no aftermarket spoke kits that I know for the G650 X-Challenge.

You may be able to order some in Europe from Alpina(Italy) or Bulldog/Central Wheel(UK)(these companies may also be able to custom drill the rim for your stock spokes and nipples and lace pattern), but likely would be special order, as this is an uncommon project since G650 was only around for a few years.

Hope that helps.

Chris

9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Woody's Superlite Hubs & Superlaced in stock sizes or with 21" Front

A huge Thanks to Pat, who dropped off his bike this week to allow us to get all measurements and figure it out.

Big Ups to Zach for figuring it out 21'' front and pulling it together with the assistance of Jerod who laced and trued the rear:clap

Woody just came back from the before n after test rides with the biggest grin on his face:D

Photos below, info and explanations by Woody to follow.

Folks,,this bike is such an iprovement over EVERYTHING BMW hsa ever put out in the GS series,,its is as big a leap over the R1200 GS as that bike was over all Previous GS seies..and i mean ALL:deal

it has so many nifty features,,,and seat in pants improvements in POWER!!! and Handling..it simply ROCKS in that department:deal

i'll post more on that later...can i gain more versatility especially off road like i did with my previous 21'' Superlite/Superlaced set ups????
    with Zach n Jerods assistance we laced up a set of 21/17 wheel set sets..

[​IMG]

NOTE: wit 90/90 x21 front and 150/70x17 rear,,the bike made it up n down the centerstand wit plenty of room to swap tires. as you'll see rear yire clearanc is same as original ,,,the front ate up some clearance BUT will easily accept a higher fender with a slight brake line re-location kit...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's my gang for an ATTABOY/GAL shotthat's Jerod who did the rear,,Jil who coordinated the process and Zach on the front...yours truly will figure out /design the appropriate interface for my Superlit hubs and TCS/ABS system disc and how/where to mount it on my hubs,,gotta get moving ..Monday and the the promised return date are rolling up fast....:wink:

[​IMG]

NOTE: from the git go this machine will make ya want to trade in any prvious GS you've owned....i could live with it as is AND although PLANTED and SUPPLE a 19'' front still has the feeling of riding over marbles in the dirt....would a 21 with knobbies be a performance addition...
    after testing...YES in the dirt and no on the slab....the 19/17 combo with street threads simply works better than ever...the 21/17 begs for a stering damper...it tracks straight and true AND feels skittish,,,the TKC80s droned and felt skittish..wheras my R1200GS with same essential combo has a Rallye-raid 3'' rise multi dimensional/adjustabel dampener on it...and THAT has brought on major confidence inspired riding...like being on a rail....

thats it folks ,,pass the word....
    WOODY
  10. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my wheel back with some mysterious stuff written on a piece of masking tape. The guys at the local shop were impressed.:rofl Thanks.
  11. Perun

Perun Perun moto! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Chris!

I got some strange looking Excel rim, with "takasago N 21X1.60 222 JAPAN 310" markings inprinted in the rim and "Excel" sticker on side walls of the rim. I dont know what this rim is for, since rims for KTM's are labeled as IC_408, not 310, and on the net I cant find anything related to this markings.

Anyway, we succeded in making the wheel with this rim, OEM spokes and nipples and OEM hub. Like you wrote, nipples are a bit small for holes on the rim. We will see how will it perform until I dont get proper nipples.

Do you have nipples+spokes set that I could use to make wheel with this rim I got and OEM hub?

Best regards!

12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    You will want to check the spoke tension often, they will be able to flex/move a lot when they holes are that much bigger than the nipple. Not sure what rim that is.

We do have oem size spoke kits, with the proper nipples for 110 ea. wheel.
    Unfortunately there are no nipples available that are a bigger diameter and for the oem spokes.

thanks

13. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guy's ,
    Received my Excel superlaced Africa Twin wheels this week . Thanks a bunch , they look bullet proof .
    Have a question : can I safely mount 90/90 21 tire on a 1.6x21 rim ???
  14. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    The 90/90 and 80/100-21 tires are the right tires for the 1.6 x21 rim. It's best with off-road riding with the narrower rim. It still works great on-road too.

thanks zach

15. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it . Thanks Zach !!!
  16. Caprilian

Caprilian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting back to 1200GS WC- does the bike have ABS, TC and TPM? How are these affected?
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    traction control = no effect

ABS = no effect

Tire Pressure Monitor=

a,,no effect if i lace up OEM tubeless X-laced rims to it

or

b,, if i use aftermarket rims with standard spoke nipples the front rim cannot be made tubeless hence TPM won't work FYI we can make rear tubeleless,,it sports a safety bead.....

hope that answers/clarifies

:freaky
    woody
  18. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Woody, sent ya a request thru the website on my 2002 KTM 400EXC wheels.
  19. j_brawner

j_brawner Nashville, TN

Oddometer:
    Hey woody, i just discovered this forum via your website and thought i'd try my luck here for little help.

I would like to convert my stock wheels over to black aluminum rims.Was thinking about going with 18" front and back.. do you see any advantage to changing that from the stock 17"/19" setup? Considering aesthetics mostly and street handling, as this bike doesn't really ever see dirt.

Can you give me a rough idea of cost to lace up new rims to my hubs.

Thanks!

Jon
    Nashville, TN
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Am in Jackson Hole visiting my daughter,,,
    Sorry will be back in shop on Monday,,will attempt to have someone get on this sooner...:cry:cry:cry
    Woody