DR650SE Index Topic #6- TIRES, TUBES & WHEELS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Krusty ..., Nov 4, 2010.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Yes :rofl
  2. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Glad I could give you a good laugh :freaky

Never been tire shopping outside the 48.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    rear wheel bearing/seal dimensions

Wheel bearings - 2 x 6204 - 20x47x14
    LHS Seal - 1 x 26x47x7
    Cush Hub - 1 x 6205 - 25x52x15
    Cush Seal - 1 x 35x52x7

Seal widths is not critical, so alternates may be available.

If you want to beef up the cush hub, which I did after a couple of failures, a double row 3205 fits, maybe just gotta sort the seal. There is a description in the latter pages of my build thread, starting here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...646076&page=10

Steve (Bergdonk)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quality Bearings:
    (All Balls are Chinese bearings)

-Front wheel bearings: SKF 6003-2RSJ(EM) - Bought from Napa and labeled 2RSJ, other places label with EM at the end?
    2 - 17 x 35 x 10
    -Front wheel seal:
    2 - 23x35x7 (09284-23001 – Suzuki #)

-Rear wheel bearings: SKF 6204-2RSJEM
    2 - 20x47x14
    -Rear wheel seal (brake side):
    1 - 26x47x7 (09283-26019 – Suzuki #)

-Cush Hub bearing: SKF 6205-2RSJEM
    1 - 25x52x15
    -Cush Seal:
    1 - 35x52x7 (need Suzuki #)

Two 6003 2RD/2RS/2RSJEM (2RSJEM is the best spec)
    Two 6204 2RD/2RS/2RSJEM
    One 6205 2RD/2RS/2RSJEM

4. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Can anyone clarify something: Will a DR350 NON-CUSH rear wheel directly replace my stock 17" wheel? I have a cush dr350 18" rear wheel in the garage right now, but i'm thinking of trading it for a non-cush just so that i can leave a sprocket on the wheel and not have to swap the cush drives and make mounting easier. It'd only be used when i go off-road, so i'm not worried about losing the cush drive as much as i am about the fitment.
  5. hmmwv15

hmmwv15 young grasshopper

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried the IRC GP-110 tires? These look like a good fit for my kind of riding, but if anyone has any gripes about them I'm all ears. I'm on pavement more than dirt, but I want good grip in the dirt. Currently running the d606's that came on it. No real complaints about them, but I could use a more streetable tire. If the dirt ride is too much of a trade off I might stick with the 606's.
  6. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Didn't like the 110 rear. Loat traction too easily on any surface with a grit covering as though the compound was too hard.

Have a play with Shinko 705's. Good on road, cheap and better off road than they have any right to be.
  7. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Ordered a pair of Kenda 761s today. They looked good and had a good review from buyers. I'll miss the 606 traction off road but only spend about 10 per cent of the time there. I would like to take a trip without all that racket. My 606 front tire with 3000+ miles wore really strange. Every other nob wore down to the quick and the others had a weird angle of wear. I'm guessing it wore that way because I'm heavy on the front brake?
  8. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:

Sounds like high air pressure. But, then again, if your softly sprung the tires will get like a saw blade too. :lol3
  9. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Thats what I was thinking too. Saw blade is a good discription. A friends DRZ with the same tires and miles are in good shape.
  10. mantramoto

mantramoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the 17" rear rim of a 1993 DR650 will fit onto a 2000 DR650? :dunno I am assuming it will - but I have learned not to trust all my assumptions. Thanks.
  11. hmmwv15

Oddometer:
    The 705's were another thought of mine, I like the tread pattern. However most of the "off road" riding I do is on gravel roads, and I'm afraid these would act just like street tires on gravel. Any experience?

Most of the riding I do is on the street commuting, so the 705's would probably be the best for me right now. I don't like riding the gravel roads around me anyway, they are highly washed out and it feels/sounds like my dr is falling apart beneath me. If I could find some nice flat DIRT roads I'd be set...
  12. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Gravel sucks, I ride so much on pavement and gravel mixed with hard packed dirt roads that I can't really run TKC's or 244's etc and expect more than 3K from them. The 705 on the rear is the best all rounder out there IMO. I get twice the life from them.

If tread life ain't important the Shinko 700 is pretty good on mixed roads while being slightly better on loose stuff. I'm running 700's right now but, the rear is half gone at 1500 miles. My last 705 rear went 6K easy. I'll be putting another 705 on soon, the 700 feels good but, it wears out too quick. The rear will be done by 3000 miles or so. I don't like chaiging tires that often. I did 3500 miles last month.... :D

I do like the 700 on the front and a 705 on the rear though. Its a good mix for DS touring.
  13. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Very good in gravel.

No problems here either...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slight problem here...
    [​IMG]
  14. hmmwv15

Oddometer:
    Good lord!!! This bike won't see 1/2 the gnarly stuff as what's in those pictures.

Good mileage reports also.

Looks like I know what tire I'm getting!

I'll order up my tires and a wheel balancer/weights and swap them over myself. Now to decide on hd or non hd tubes. :eek1

Thanks for the replies. :thumb
  15. hmmwv15

Oddometer:
    Got the 705's all mounted up today. Got both tires and two tubes from motorcycle superstore for under $150, a few different wheel weights (clamp on style) for $9, and a wheel balancer from harbor freight for $50. The rear tube I purchased had what looked like a staple hole next to the valve stem, so I had to re use my old tube. No big deal, but I better get another tube from motorcycle superstore or I'll be a little irritated.

From getting the bike on the lift to taking it off the lift with everything back on, it took me two hours per tire to swap them out. (I had to change them separately due to front and rear tires shipping differently.) This being my first time changing tires on a motorcycle. All I had were two tire irons, a big c clamp, and a full bottle of windex. (Now only half a bottle of windex) I had several issues trying to get the bead(s) seated on the front tire, but I finally got it to seat properly. The rest of the time it was just trying to get the tires on and off the wheel. The answer is a lot of windex, tiny bites with the tire irons, quite a few expletives, and body weight. (The last of which I don't have a lot of)

It was a pain in my :kat to swap these things out, definitely not something I want to do all the time without some kind of tire machine and the proper tools.

Regardless, Both tires are mounted and balanced. Took it for a test ride and all seems well. I'll have to do some more riding to get a better feel for the tires, but now the bike is more stable at high speeds, and doesn't roar down the road. (I think I might miss the roar every now and then)
    I think these tires should work just fine. I sure hope I become impressed with them offroad, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.
  16. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be surprised. In a good way.

When you come across a section and think "bugger that". Try it anyway.

Works for me...
  17. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    must be a downunder thing, i've never thought bugger-that
  18. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:

:huh

I have thought "you first", Get the camera.:rofl
  19. NordieBoy