had to "lay it down!"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GravelRoad, Apr 20, 2011.

1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:photog
  2. bwphoto

bwphoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "It's not a matter of "IF" you lay it down, but "WHEN". "I see far too many riders down here that hold on for too long when looking at an impending collision and sacrifice... their legs, arms, and lives for the sake of wanting to be able to say 'I have never dropped my bike..." Erin Muccio

:rofl

My reply: Keep parroting the myths and lies there Erin. Your "Lay it down" line is tired old bullshit that was outdated rubbish 50 years ago.
  4. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of what passed for layin' 'er down when I was riding in the seventies amounted to:

1) Ignore the front brake because it was dangerous and would "flip you over the handlebars".
    2) Stomp the pee-wally out of the rear brake if a threat emerges.
    3) Nearly all bikes will swing around after a few seconds of this abuse and unceremoniously lowside unless you get off the brakes after the slide has fully developed in which case they will disasterously highside.
    4) The recounting of it at the bar is what turns it into a planned maneuver.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I'v seen many situations where a rider HAD to lay it down....It's not a mentality, it's foresight. "Let me think....my bike or my leg? Gee, that's a tough one...."
    Erin Muccio

:norton
  6. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    You've got to post a link so we can go enjoy the idiocy. And let them know what a load of crap it is :D
  7. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is so true..... I rode dirtbikes every day of my life from age 12 to age 15. I rode in the sand jumping dunes and riding like a lunatic every day. The rule was the front brake was the enemy. When I was 15, I took my sisters Honda CJ 360 (not a misprint) for my first street ride. I was riding like an ass and passing a car on a bad corner over the double yellow when a car came the other way. I panicked and stood on the rear brake. The bike slid around and I waited just long enough to let go to get the perfect high-side and 150 yard slide on the asphalt. Luckily I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. It took the doctor 4 1/2 hours to get all the asphalt out of my shoulder and chest. The best part of this disaster was (while I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks) everyone saying " you didn't just lay it down". NOT you did not know how to ride a streetbike, NOT you are too young with NO experience. The best was, I found out years later that the reason the doctor did not give me any pain meds in this 4 1/2 hour ordeal, is that when he was done he said " That kid will never ride another motorcycle". Over 2 dozen motorcycles later.... I am not laying it down.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is Bikerpost.com on facebook. The thread is: Do you have an engine guard on your bike? - BikersPost.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BikersPost/posts/215830268429154

There is at least one other posting about layin 'er down.

NOTE: All the fun replies are on the fb wall. (not in the discussion thread itself) It is always good entertainment so if you are on fb by all means sign up with BikerPost.com

Another fun thread is:
    Am "I" a biker OR a rider? - BikersPost.com

:lol3
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

My reply: Oh DO TELL!! When is it good to crash to avoid a crash? By all means please explain this to everyone. Don't be shy. You are not the only one that thinks this is somehow a good idea. It is idiotic, stupid and indefensible!!!

Erin, Sorry if I am come off harsh here but riders like you sharing your wisdom (or lack there of) is just wrong. Please go get some professional riders training so you can be reprogrammed to the art of riding NOT crashing your motorcycle. I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is to not use the front brake. (?)

:lol3
  10. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    Oh, admit it -- you love it, you big meanie. :lol3
  11. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    It was a dark rainy evening when I laid my steel horse down...fortunately I was in the garage nice and dry and was just curious how heavy my new to me GSA was and what recovery technique worked best for me, so I laid her down on some nice cardboard :)

I wonder if the thought goes back to the old western movies where the Duke pulls his trusty horse down so he can take up a fire position with a horse meat shield to cover him?

Can't think of a time when I'd low side a bike on purpose, except if I was James Dean and playing chicken racing for the cliff and I miss judged the timing to get on the binders.

Has pop culture and Hollywood played a role in the advent of this 'technique'?
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto-LEO's are still taught this very thing. (not layin 'er down while moving but laying the stopped bike down and using it for cover) :nod
  13. murder face

murder face Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even the top tier racers follow this thought. The GOAT uses it as a last resort:
    [​IMG]
  14. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Chuck Norris was riding to IHOP to get the Senior Citizen special when some squid crossed over the double yellow. Chuck didn't ease off or alter his line, he just made eye contact and the squid "laid er down".

Chuck Norris; old enough to get the senior discount, and still man enough to roundhouse kick you through the window and then 3-way all night long with your girlfriend and your mom after your lame ass tried to make a joke about the Senior Citizen thing.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have hesitated posting because "laying it down" is an absurd concept.......

But it saved my ass once, wasn't intentional but happened anyway.

I had less than 6 months riding experience and I was out riding some logging roads in pouring down rain. Going about 25mph around a sweeping turn I saw a cable across the road about 50 feet ahead of me. Trees and big bolders lined both sides of the road, nowhere to go but straight, hit the brakes but the mud was like ice, front end immediately washed out, I went down low side and shot under the cable still going 10-15 mph. I finally stopped about 10 feet past the cable. If I did not "lay it down", it would have ended badly.

Now I could probably stop in time............................................... or highside and fly into it at speed if I actually tried to "lay it down". :muutt
  16. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    "The name is Bond... James Bond!" :lol3
  17. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    Last summer I had to lay it down...

So I could remove the engine from my cb750.

Is there really that much fear of the front brake? When I first got my Honda a few years back I got it running and took it for a spin down the street and back. The front brake didn't work and it was scary stopping using only the rear brake.
  18. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Are we to assume that Chuck Norris doesn't lay his bike down on the road...but the road lays down for Chuck Norris?
  19. azjodel

azjodel FIGUGEGL

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir:nod
    this sums it up nicely.
  20. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Chuck Norris doesn't ever touch the brakes, everything else just gets the F*CK out of the way!