2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Anders J.

Anders J. Electric Enduro

Oddometer:
    Just saw that a Swedish dealer has priced the 1190.
    1190 Adventure R: SEK 139 900 (USD 19 886).
    1190 Adventure: SEK 138 900 (USD 19 744).

As a comparison the price of the 990 Adv R at the same dealer is SEK 137 900.

Don´t know what the price will be in the US of course, but it looks quite promising that the price of the new bike will be just marginally higher I think...
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    1190 Adventure R: SEK 139 900 (USD 19 886)

DKK 121 300...without danish reg tax.
    Danish reg tax is(180%)DKK 188 100

Price with Danish registration plates: DKK 309 400,- (USD 53 418)

...and we should be the most happy people on earth???

but its a nice one.

:freaky
  3. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Just showed this to my wife...

"Hey honey, come look at this. It's KTM's replacement for my 990. It has the same engine as my RC8."

"That looks a lot better than your bike. You should get one."

:eek2
  4. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Holy crap! Reading that made MY stomach get butterflies! Time to reorganize the garage! :evil
  5. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Man that thing looks gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I think my GSA's days are numbered.:clap
  6. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    In just a year I can be riding that bike!
    :ddog
    Is it still November 2012? :eek1
    :ddog:ddog:ddog
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put one of these between my legs and I will sing.
  8. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK - a couple of 1190 specific questions,

1. I know the service intervals are out compared to the 950/990 but does anyone know the valve checks
    2. Does anyone have details on the WP steering damper? Is it fitted stock to the R or is it a powerpart (cant find that in any list yet)?

Just thinkin out loud.....
  9. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice skidplate. :thumb
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    That would be a lot of fun on SR's route from Durango to San Blas.

Max
  11. tornillo

tornillo Motojunkie.

Oddometer:
    I saw both at Melbourne show yesterday.....
    very disappointed! they went soft....they look like v storm :puke1
    where is the adventure 690??? why ktm doesnt get it????
  12. cool dude

cool dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whilst at EICMA last week I did not notice any stering dampers on any of the 4 1190s there although I was not specifically looking for them. There did not appear to be anything on the steering yoke so can only assume they have some form of transverse linear damper like http://www.wp-group.at/en/wp-performance-systems/products/steering-damper/ hidden inside the bodywork or under the tank. Both the 1190 and 1190R should come with the same steering damper as standard as per http://www.ktm.com/travel/1190-adventure-r-eu/highlights/benefit/753/benefit/Product.html and http://www.ktm.com/travel/1190-adventure-eu/highlights/benefit/740/benefit/Product.html (scroll to the bottom in both cases and there is a Steering Damper section).

It is interesting to note that the 1190R comes with TPMS (Tire Pressure Measurement System) linked to the VDO display as standard whilst on the 1190 it is only available as an option combined with EDS (Electronic Damping System). See http://www.ktm.com/gb/travel/1190-adventure-r-eu/powerparts-calculator.html and http://www.ktm.com/gb/travel/1190-adventure-ausuk/powerparts-calculator.html for the options.

Whilst there is no longer a inter tank storage/glove box, I did notice there is a small horizontal area under the clocks that has a hinged lid which I assume can be used to stash small items.
  13. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It says there is one on the R highlights sheet as standard. Just need to find it!!!:ear
  14. jconyer

jconyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    /Yep, I want one! Any body know offhand whats entailed in importing a bike from, say Germany? :evil
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    The highlights under chassis, list it on both the standard AND R versions:

STEERING DAMPER

With so much propulsive power, the front wheel can become very light, which can quickly lead to unpleasant kick-back on uneven roads or following a slight stimulus at the handlebar. The Adventure prevents this safely with a reliable and sensitive WP steering damper.
  16. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder when we will hear of 1190 ride reports here.
  17. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    +1
    They just don't get that we need a lighter bike to go back country:doh. They would rather keep doing a one up on BMW 1200 gs than give us something we could really use; a light and maneuverable bike, with long service intervals, full farkle line:deal.

18. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Errrr no, KTM are a business and want to make money. The OC Militia can deride it all they like but the GS market is huge and KTM want a slice. 200 people on a forum are not a market for a brand new bike, no matter how often you all bleat on this thread.
    Right now, KTM aren't making your dream machine, get over it
  19. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, the GS market is huge, but most in that segment probably like watching the "Long Way" DVD more than the Dakar....

So, if KTM were truly a business focused exclusively on making money, why then do they spend bazillions of Dollars/Euros/Choose-your-currency on the Dakar each year?

If they had more financial sense (like BMW), they would either:

1) Stop spending that money on the Dakar and invest in new model R&D instead, OR
    2) Offer a model or hard parts kit that capitalizes on their Dakar exploits (i.e., 690 Adventure +/or Hard Parts Kit).

The X-Bow is yet another example of KTM having its financial head up its ass. It was probably a pet project of some senior executive whose kid wanted to be the next Aryton Senna.

I can understand not offering a fully homologated 690 Adventure, but not offering at least a Hard Parts kit is asinine given how much they spend on the Dakar.

With all that said, I believe offering the 1190 to the GS market is a stroke of marketing genius and long overdue.
  20. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    They finally got it that we need a lighter bike to go paved back roads. They could one up the BMW 1200 gs and give us something we could really use; a light and maneuverable bike, with long service intervals, full farkle line:deal.

The 1190 Adventure is the V-Strom owner's dream machine! Modern design features, long tank range, quality suspension, lighter and more powerful than most of the competition, and comfort for 2. The 990 Adventure was a niche bike tilted towards off-road instead of touring comfort. Now we have the R model for dirt adventure rides and the non-R for the BIG market.