clutch slave Water?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by khelsea, Jun 13, 2013.

1. khelsea

khelsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed my clutch slave cylinder last nite and when I pulled out the old one water drained out. What condensation? Short trips? Haven't been in any rivers lately and don't use a pressure washer to clean. Thought it was dot 4 but tastes like water, no taste. Reason for changing throwout bearing was squealing with clutch accuation . 2004 1150GS adv 20K. Anybody seen this before? Used Hall of wis for guidance and worked well. Didn't have a BMW bleeder but got a M10X1.0 at Auto value for 2.00 and shortened it up to fit. Any comments? Thanks
  2. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Water collects in the rubber outer hose covering the main line.

Cut the bottom of the rubber hose so the water can't get trapped and corrode the metal fitting.

Some pictures i took of the poblem and posted a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. khelsea

khelsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got that steptoe and thanks for all your input to this forum,you're the practical and keep it simple advisor to be admired but the water came out of the slave cyl housing? Put everything back together tonight and no leaks and clutch lever now actuates from the middle of the lever throw. I'll road test tomorrow and hopefully everything is OK

4. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brake fluid tends to absorb moisture.
    Had you flushed the system at all?
  5. khelsea

khelsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is new to me last month but the water came from the transmission housing not the slave cylinder. The throwout bearing had failed, the slave itself wasn't leaking Dot 4
  6. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new to you bike, they really are great bikes.

Sorry for your inconvenience though.

Steptoe will not steer you wrong, If it were mine and I didn't know the history, I would replace the slave cylinder and purge the entire system to get any residules out.

Good luck with your fix, I hope it goes well.