Central California Advice Requested: Bloody Marys and chicken fried steak.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CONKSO, May 14, 2013.

1. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings- I'm meeting my brother in Santa Maria, Ca for two days of riding (Saturday and Sunday). I'm riding up from San Diego, he''s riding down from Santa Cruz- we're meeting Friday afternoon at Old Santa Maria Inn and will base ourselves out of there over the weekend (I'm leaving Monday morning).

So we've got a couple days to ride around and hang out. I bought the Butler map of the So. Cal and can see there are some cool looking rides in the area but what I'm looking for is local advice for a big, loop on Saturday. If you've got any recommendations for good places to eat or where I can grab either a) a good Bloody Mary or b) a great chicken fried steak breakfast I'd be very thankful.

Super excited for this as it will be our first on/off road long-ish range (for us anyway) moto adventure. If it helps he's riding a '12 BMW f650gs and I (being the older, more pragmatic brother) am on a '13 DL650. We're both dirt bike riders so we're not opposed to running these things on some dirt- nothing crazy because I do really need to get back to drink that Bloody Mary I was talking about.

Thanks in advance.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jocko's in Nipomo or the Far West in Guadalupe for great steaks? Arroyo Grande-Lake Lopez area nice foothill 2 lane. Hwy 1 north of Morro Bay. Check Santa Rosa Creek Rd. for a real back country/rough paved ride. Parkcrest if you want to go east. North through Indian Valley to/from Hollister.......
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I don't have much experience with the area, but couldn't leave you hanging without a Bloody Mary.

I found this recipe, that is supposed to be from the Red Fox Club in Santa Maria, but I can only find Red Fox II in Lompoc:

http://www.food.com/recipe/tres-famous-bloody-mary-316118

Rooney's Irish Pub is said to have a build-your-own Bloody Mary bar:

http://rooneysirishpub.net/

If you pass through Solvang, check out the vintage Motorcycle Museum.
  4. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    Serious, go to Jocko's. Go hungry. You will not be disappointed.

Solvang 45 minutes South has a helluva motorcycle museum.

Charlie
  5. CONKSO

CONKSO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for all of your replies- I will make Jockos a destination point (remember, I'm the older brother, I make the decisions). Bike is all set to go- tank is full, leaving at dawn tomorrow. I'm already dreaming about Day 1's first chicken fried steak.
  6. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    All worthy advice...ride the "N" roads west and north of Paso Robles. Wonderful!