Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. 924sas

924sas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ref open air filter on the SE

the owner told me that he uses k&n filters for normal roads and light off road. if it is dusty or going into sand he uses k&n pre-filter over the normal ones.
    he also closed the front as good as possible - have a look at the pics!

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks very clean on the side that counts :deal
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well in all this thinking and Dakarmaniacisme i didn´t even think this way of attaching. thankyou 924sas. Help like that is fantastic.
  4. 924sas

924sas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no problem, any time again! :freaky

btw. - if everything goes according to plan i will spend my summer holidays in your country...:evil
  5. 924sas

924sas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any news here?!? [​IMG]
  6. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Yep and no.

If lucky i should be picking up the paintet stuff tomorrow. Then i can get to the enginemounting part. Suspension is giving the dealer gray hair. He is having hard time getting solved. WP which now is owned by KTM are really not helping him to release some info regarding our 300mm-wishing.

Regards

From once again cold and snowy Denmark...arghh
  7. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe a stupid question, but why are you planning to increase suspension travel to 300mm? I can see benefits for serious offroad, but for mainly street and gravel riding with such ridiculous amount of horsepower isn't even less travel than stock and firmer suspension favorable? Like supermoto has?
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well i´ve always wished the extended legs. It´s an experiment, but since we haven´t had any solution I think i´m just going to service the standard suspension.

" ridiculous amount of horsepower "...their is not to much power, if just you can control it.
  9. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    A little progress on this slow going project. Got the stuff from the painter the other day. While this has been going on i have ordered some stuff i know i will be needing in a month or so. Bearings and such. If lucky i should be recceiving my upgraded suspension in a week or so. A coupæe of year ago i went with SPS front and standard rear. It fit me well, but i´m getting it serviced right now and asked for the 0.59 spring in he front. Rear should just need a service.

Some pics.

[​IMG]
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Hep

I´m in the middle of upgrading the frontend(suspension).
    I would like to use the 0.64 springs from KTMTWINS. But there is a notice about sanding the "hydraulic stop"? Would could someone explain or anyone done this?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/spsf43485-50.html

"Note: .56,.58 and .64 springs may require you to shave or sand down your Hydraulic Stop in-order for these to fit."

Edit:

I get what the "stop" is. Should i just "grind" siding?

Its part 24.
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Mikael
  11. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just use an angle grinder - or put it a lathe if you have one handy.
    You just need to remove some of the material (its plastic) so the spring doesnt bind on it.
  12. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Nice video. I had my stops turned on the lathe and then the plastic fur from machining just sanded right off. Easy to do, even with out a lathe. If I had no lathe, I would use a heavy file on each rib of the damper stop to get the same results.

Good luck!
  14. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like you could just file the square edge of each rib to stop the springs from binding.:1drink
  15. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK while we all watch the unbelievable tragic developments in Japan, I though I might add some ideas for consideration.

In testing the air intake shrouds are proving to be well worth the effort. they help direct a large amount of air through the radiator. As a side bonus there is an large increase in cool/fresh air flowing into the carburetor area..... so much so that a additional filter cover that I add with my 2/up seat now continually blows off at speeds over 80 kmh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fan was moved to the front to open and unrestrict the rear of the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is very important to keep hot (less dense) air away from the carbes and having thought about what materials to use I decided to go with rubber inner tube... 4 pieces with cable ties as it is cheep, quick, and effective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FCR 41mm carbes (equivalent of 46mm C/V's aprox) would be perfect for this project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  17. SorenSand

SorenSand autodidact :-[

Oddometer:
    Jutland West - Dinamarca, Dänemark, Denmark
    Come on Mikael...Lot's of stuff happening ind the work shop!

Share some pictures :evil
  18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    This evening i´ll hve the time for sharing the cutting and assembling...

:evil
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    As promised i would make follow up on the project this day.

Weather, work and the newly started Danish Enduro Cup had taken a lot of my time.

My 530 Exc 08 needed some "time" to get ready. It had developed the "bad E-start syndrom". Thanks to KTMtalk.com and my friend Søren(onboard here), we got through it and it starts and hauls. :D

From this years first Enduro.

[​IMG]

Bike...
    [​IMG]

Back on track.

My goal was to get the "bike" rolling with the chasis, engine, wheels. It will be a bit more easy to get to the welder. And i could test fit the tanks(:huh)

It all started with some cutting, grinding and 10x on/off engine mounting. I had the old "hillclimber" as a reference, but that was all. I´m ure it is pictured way back in the thread.

Sørens dog.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grinding the engine...:eek1
    [​IMG]

To mount the engine as far back possible we had to cut some tubular framing. This will will hopefully make room for the stock 950 radiator with 2 x fans. It will come in again when we get it to the welder.
    [​IMG]

So far, so good...
    [​IMG]

I won´t get much done the next weeks and weekends as both work, enduro, training and daughter will take my time.

Ohh.. we did try to mount the tanks and was relieved how little needed to be done on the left side. But the right side will be tough. Søren talked about a company who could weld plastic. If thats true, it may not be the biggest effort.

And i found out the ECU from a RC8 would not work with the RC8R.

Regards
    Mikael

PS:
    Søren and his GasGas 300 which didn´t go to well at the Enduro opening(he had just bought it... :evil).
    [​IMG]
  20. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    K2M, Locul, you guys are inspirations! Keep tweaking, fun to watch and scheme... :clap