Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    I updated the upcoming ride section on the front page. If you are still interested in this ride we have a descision to make...

A: Do the ride as described camping at Kirk Creek.

B: Camp on the ridge above HWY 1. This will be warmer and dryer. It will also save some gas, as we won't have to back track on Nacimento Ferguson Rd. The draw back to this option is that the camping is primitive. No water, bathrooms, or tables.

I'm easy and we can decide this as we go by vote.

Cheers!
  2. T O Double D

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't see this until just now.

This area is pretty easy. Honestly there's just not a whole lot there, but it's fun to ride through. Just don't expect it to be a destination like Hollister Hills or Clear Creek.
  3. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I am OUT for the Jan 9th and Jan 10th Ride.. I will be at the Tekin Nationals (rc car racing event)

Plus..
    Spanky and I will be in Death Valley from Dec 27th to Dec 31st so I will need a break..
  4. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still planning on it weather permitting.

Either the ridge or the campground is fine with me as long
    as there's firewood!

:vardy :rofl
  5. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    There are no dates listed on the front page.

Personally, I think we should move all this to separate threads (each ride getting it's own new thread) on SBR or some other local board (as long as it isn't BARF). ADV is a great resource, but it's international, which makes it a lousy place for organizing local rides.
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    If it goes on SBR, which sub-forum do you use?
    Group Rides?
    Dirt Riders?
    Dual Sport Riders?

What I would suggest is post the ride details there (in whichever group you decide is appropriate), then post a pointer here.
  7. T O Double D

Oddometer:

The reason I think putting it into one thread works well is that it's easier to find the info, at least in a crowded place like ADV. If I were to just post up a ride it would get buried quickly, but this way all you have to do is subscribe and you'll know about upcoming rides. It was working pretty well in the old "Monday Rides..." thread, but that confused people with it's title and wasn't organized enough.

As for moving this to another forum there's just not many ADV types on SBR. If it hadn't been for this forum I would've given up meeting anyone to ride with. Also, as you said, ADV is international. I like that people from out of town can look at this thread and join up on a ride. I do like the tools SBR has though. It makes describing a route much easier.

So as for now I'm still gonna try and keep this going. It worked well for the guys in LA and I think it'll be a great thing for us here in the Bay Aea.
  8. T O Double D

Oddometer:

I was actualy thinking of doing something like that. It wouldn't be hard to just post them in both forums, and then the tools SBR provides can be used. It just doesn't seem like there's as much interest on SBR.
  9. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    That's the problem. You can't organize multiple events in a single thread. All the details get buried in the 2743 pages. I never thought the Monday rides thread worked at all.

If each ride had a separate thread here, it would get lost.

SBR may not have many ADV types, but that means it's a perfect place for us to use! With the traffic in the pretty much trafficless Dual Sporting Sub Forum, things would be easy to find.

But anyways, it was just an idea I floated to try to help dissemination of information be smoother.
  10. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    I find that being subscribed, checking the last page, and reading the newer posts keeps me up to date. And, if Todd continues to update the front page with the upcoming rides, this should work pretty well.

It all depends on how many events are going to be posted on here. I'd personally prefer to just have one thread to subscribe to, but if the additional thread links are easy to find in the newer posts then it should work either way...
  11. Alucard

Alucard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't we just set up a Google Calendar with the link to subscribe to the calendar in the first post?

That way, if new rides are set up, you don't need to check here; you can check your calendar for upcoming rides.

I don't think it supports discussions in the events themselves, but the event description can always include a link to a thread here...

Just a thought.
  12. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    :wave

I'm in lurking mode right now. I'm selling my XR650 and my F650 to buy an F800GS. As soon as I get my new ride and some minimal farkles I'll be out riding in a responsible and safe manner. :thumb
  13. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sacriledge, Senor! Selling a bike that costs 1/100th to repair and maintain.
    :deal . But, then again, maybe getting rid of that kick starter isn't such a bad idea. :1drink Good luck with the new bike. I've seen some pretty cool farkles for the 800 too.
  14. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    I have the deluxe XR650L edition. With e-start. We had fun in Mexico but it just isn't working out.
  15. RichardBryant

RichardBryant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who is in? Looking for other riders from the Bay Area to share transport. I'll be riding a DRZ400 and doing the dual sport route.
  16. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Spanky and I did a 6 Day trip to Baja. We had a great time and saw some cool stuff like Coco's Corner, we stayed at Mike's Sky Ranch and Roosted on the beach all we wanted.
    Some of these pics are very close together, this is so Spanky can save the ones he wants
    The Route
    [​IMG]
    Spanky giving the Mentos. Here we are loaded up and ready to drive to San Diego. From there we will spend 4 Days in Mexico.
    [​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>Me </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Driving Along Hwy 101 </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>80 MPH shot in San Diego </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>My friend Todd rode with us to the Tacate Border </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Over the sholder shot </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>[​IMG]
    <o:p>Another Shot of Todd </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky giving the Thumbs up after we got into Mexico </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>and ME </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Random Ocean Shot </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Self Taken at 75 MPH </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Creek Crossing at Mikes Sky Ranch</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Paul at Mikes </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky at Mike's </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky in front of our Room.. O ya the Rooms have no Keys.. honest people around here. </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Lovely Pool Shot </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky adding a Redline Power Sports Sticker to the window of Mikes </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>taking pics of the guy taking a pic </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Standard Photo for Mikes Sky Ranch </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Paul crossing the creek on the way back </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Another 75 mph pic </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Another 75 mph pic </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>We reach the first beach in San Felipe </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>loving this pic </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky going to get his feet wet in the sea of cortez</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>and ME </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>again</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>I am loving the over the sholder shots .. thanks Bryce for teaching me that </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>again</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>we reach the best beach in the WORLD.. Free to stay, great food, gas, great riding close, scuba diving, and your allowed to ride on IT !! in case your wondering in called Gonzaga Beach</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>more >></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>more >></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>this was a pic of the porta potty thing.. someone had fixed it up with christmas decor.. it was funny </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>ahhh I loved this beach.. we loved it so much we stayed an extra day.. </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>so much roost so little time </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>o ya and you can stay for FREE !! </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>I love FREE </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Spanky DEEP THOUGHTS </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>My soon to be in the Ocean Tent </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>lovely pics </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Great kayaking also </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>your life is not complete until you have refried beans with your breakfast... I thought it was weird but I ate them.. o this meal was like $4 and it came with chips and cofee.. </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>breakfast is GOOD !!</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Frogs are good </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Sand is FUN ! </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>in this pic you can see everything of mine is hanging up why ?? because the wind came up when we were riding over to visit coco and my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress blew into the ocean. it was found and brought back by a fisherman. everything turned out fine.. </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Only damage... a broken tent pole and broken mp3 player </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>we got to this gas station and needed gas only to find it was closed.. no biggie there was a guy across the street selling gas out of the can.. </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>cool pic of weird tree </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Roosting on the beach is FUN !!</o:p>
    [​IMG]
  17. 50X50

50X50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics, looks like you guys had a great time. I was riding by Spanky's and saw you guys loading up...I was ready to follow you guys! Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

Jeff
  18. edeslaur

edeslaur San Diegan

Oddometer:
    LOL. I'm parked just up ahead of where Todd is in my 4Runner. Saw him go by and wondered why he was riding with dirt riders. :D Keep workin' him, I think we have him on the ropes to add a DS.

19. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to be doing the Big Sur camp/ride this coming weekend
    that Todd posted up?

It looks like there's decent weather forecasted and lows at night down to
    the mid '40's which is not bad at all.
  20. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome RR!