Can a Harley make it to Magadan?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, Apr 27, 2011.

1. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doug...Thanks for the history lesson & great pics. I appreciate the effort on your part to take us along. Nice job!
  2. gdcartjr

gdcartjr Piss Ant

Oddometer:
    This is all cool as could be but I do have one question for you... Does anybody you run into know or recognize the confederate flag on your bike? Just curious if other parts of the world know this symbol of the south.
  3. DanEngels

DanEngels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they do. Who can ever forget after watching Dukes of Hazzard and the General Lee!:lol3
  4. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if you're getting lot's of comments on the bike? It's the best looking HD XLGS I've ever seen...:deal

:lol3
  5. n2nrn

n2nrn n00b

Oddometer:
    I have to admit that I don't know a lot about Turkish history or Ataturk, but after seeing that quote on the monument, he has gained my respect.
    Now I want to know more .
    If I were a relative of one of the soldiers buried there, I would feel some peace about where my loved one lies after reading that.

Again Doug, thanks for one more history and culture lesson.

Jeff
  6. ClayR

ClayR Animal

Oddometer:
    Wow, Agreed, two times. Great Photos and Lessons!
  7. ClayR

ClayR Animal

Oddometer:
    Ha, Cowley County Kansas, USA does the exact same thing! At least they put the gravel over it right away.
  8. mehigh

mehigh bum

Oddometer:
    war has come a long way since the mule corps :mulie

:rofl
  9. TRadventure

TRadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a black chapter of English War history,. that's why they don't mention it on history books. I've been born in the Netherlands but from Turkish origin. They never told me on history lessons at school of this part of the WW1 history.
  10. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they still have the wooden horse of Troy out the front? I thought that was pretty naff.
  11. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    Is Helen still there? I heard she was pretty hot!

OK Doug, You got me interested in this piece of battle history. (Ataturk) Got some reading to do.
  12. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Maybe not in some parts of the world, but over here in New Zealand and no doubt Australia also, the legacy of this battle is an inescapable part of our national culture.

It can be said that this battle was a turning point to our formation as a nation independent of England. Indeed, the surviving ANZAC soldiers came away with the utmost respect for their Turkish counterparts, not so much for the English officers who had sent them to their deaths.

The anniversary of this battle is remembered as a national holiday in NZ and Australia. Thanks Doug for the reminder that this is a pilgrimage that I have to make too one day.
  13. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    The Gallipoli campaign was in a large part the work of Winston Churchill. His reputation survived and was enhanced during the 2nd War against the Germans, so Gallipoli was nudged into a shady corner of history where it might be forgotten. But the ANZACS paid the blood price. British military history at this time is full of incompetents who held rank because of the class system. Meritocracy was sidelined to breeding, and the 'lower' classes paid the piper.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a very good idea, ruined by some of the people in charge of getting it done.
    Really, the entire war was was a bodge job for the reasons below.

15. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    This is fantastic. History lesson with the RR. Now I can tell my mom all this time on the internet is not wasted. Ride on!

I'll be waiting for more.:ddog
  16. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    they say Helen had a face to launch a thousand ships.

I didnt see her, but I saw a girl there whose face would make a freight train take a dirt road.

As far as all the politics from that era/area go, I just share what I learn. Im no scholar, but I like to learn a bit from the places I visit. Sometimes the info is one sided, of course its always best to get both sides, & draw your own conclusion.
    I actually got a nasty email last year, from a turkish guy who didnt like what I wrote in a magazine article about the armenian/turkish problems. He said something like 'we are trying to forget about this'
    Well, a much smarter man than me , George Santaya said
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

17. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    yesterday was the best/worst day so far.

I took a different route thru Georgia than last year. This road turned to the worst dirt/rock crap I've seen in awhile. up over a mountain, 2000 meters high. for 100km until pavement continued.
    of course I got to the peak at dark. theres nothing for miles, cant see shit, Im in the clouds. did I mention the rain?

man, it was fun!

I did get some cool pics too!

Doug
  18. kahlgryndiger

kahlgryndiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the truth ... but too many people are trying to forget this ...
  19. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  20. V-Twin-Maniac

V-Twin-Maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @doug

when are you again im Bulgaria Mot Camp in Idelovo?...want to come in August/ September for a overnight visit?