Bike hunting in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pdedse, Nov 2, 2012.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a group of students to Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica for six weeks during Jan-Mar of 2013. Will likely be an annual deal. While I would love to have my KLR650 there, I wouldn't have the time to ride it there and back. I thought of shipping it there and leaving it, but cost and the fact I still want the bike here means no. Besides I have to travel with the group of students.

Would rather just buy a small cc bike. Maybe a Chinese 125, or a Honda something. I've been checking Craigslist. I have lots of family in CR (PZ, Alajuela, Ciudad Quesada) that can help me with the purchase. I don't mind buying, as opposed to renting, because I visit enough that I'm thinking I'll just leave it with family and use it when I visit CR, about once a year or year and a half, and let family use it when I'm not there.

My main riding will be within Pérez Z and to the coast, Dominical. Also to Parque Nacional Chirripó base area--decent gravel roads. If I read the Google maps elevations correctly, the coast rises to about a 1000 meters before dropping to 700 meters, the elevation of PZ. So I'm leery of something too small, yet I'm not concerned about perfect ergonomics, rather I'm more into cost range: $1500-3000 and will it get me to some interesting places. I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. It's been a long time since I've been on a 125cc bike. Will it pull me up a hills going through 3000 ft elevation climb? Will I be able to pass a slow moving truck? Will I be the slow moving bike going uphill on a 125? :eek1 . Most often vehicles are limited on the PZ to Dominical highway to about 40-50mph because of curves.

Here's a few I've seen on CraigsList, CR:

1. A KLX 250 2007 - $3700 (looks to be in great shape from fotos, but I don't have other details, a bit pricey)
    2. A 2012 Honda CGL 125 - 600km - $1650 (bought new for $2200). Cute with knobby tires...but a 125?
    3. A new FYM (Chinese) 200cc for $2100
    4. A 1999 Yamaha DT 125 for $800, 2 stroke. Shows its age.
    5. Honda XL200 2004, 39,000km, $2,900

Just looking for input, or maybe you know someone who's selling bike in the Perez Zeledon or Alajuela area.

I've been to PZ and Dominical lots of times, but with family when we go to the beach. Would also love to hear about interesting places to visit in the area on a bike.

Thanks.
  2. QCRider

QCRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. pdedse

Oddometer:
  4. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    The road from PZ to Dom begs for a supermoto......:evil
    Yes, you'll be the slow guy on a cheap 125 going up hills but if you're not in a hurry.....
    I'll try to find some contact info for an amigo (moto taller) in PZ who may be able to help find a bike there, much more for sale locally than you'll find on the 'net.
    My next trip down is late January?
  5. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know that road well, and believe me I'd like to have a different moto than this to head out to the beach:

http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/mcy/3361784500.html

But I'm only going to be in the area 6 weeks this time and don't want to spend more than 2, maybe 2.5 grand. However, if you can drum up info on a bike in PZ, that would help substantially. The above Honda CGL 125 is very new and low milage (600kilometers), and the seller is asking $1650. But he's in playa Nosara. I have family in the Ciudad Quesada area and they can help me with the purchase, but I'd rather buy in PZ if I can.

6. junglemototours

Oddometer:
  7. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I emailed him, so we'll see what he says. Looks like my visit to CR is a fairly sure thing, so I'm ready to buy. I have one lined up if I want to pull the trigger, but it's out in playa Nosara in Guanacaste and I would have to have brother in law help me get it from there to Perez Zeledon. Would like to see what's available first in PZ.

Thanks.
  8. junglemototours

Oddometer:
  9. CaptTeach

CaptTeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a DT 175 during my stay in Playa del Coco and just the ride from there to Playa Hermosa really put a strain on the bike ESP if I picked up a chica along the way. When I was there it seemed there were a lot of Enduro bikes that had been converted to street use with something like a Baja Designs kit. With that being said dont skip over a bike that you think is just for off road while you are looking
  10. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I don't leave until the 26th of Jan, 2013 and I'll be there this time till March 9. I thought about renting a bike, but there's a good chance I'll be going to CR three times over the next 14 months, one 3 week and two 6 week stays. So I think buying one makes sense...but can't break the budget.

I'm about ready to buy a new Honda CGL 125. Dealer wants $1900 which includes six month guarantee and all taxes and insurance for 2013. I'm going to offer $1800 and see what they say. There are a couple of used 2012 ones going for $1500, but taxes and insurance can be around $150, so that's not much different. My brother in law will purchase it for me, put it in his name, then use it when I'm not there. A few shots of the color I think is available. We'll see how it goes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. the maestro

the maestro Mountain Biker

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in Mexico on my KLR. My plan is to be in Panama City by early February, store the bike, and then next November, continue my trip south into South America (work interferes). Costa Rica would work as a stopping point as well. If I could work out any issues with customs, perhaps we could work something out, and I'd have a place to leave my bike, and you would have a bike to ride.
  12. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Maestro, sounds interesting. If you look at my sig lines, you'll see a number of trips I've done on KLR650s, still have my 07, so I'm very familiar with them. In Mexico, I rented a KLR650 from a private party for a couple of weekends and it worked well. My sister-in-law lives in Pérez-Zeledón (San Isidro del General) and has quite a bit of room if you're looking for bike storage. Ping me off line if you'd like.
  13. junglemototours

Oddometer:
    CR is pretty strict on bike imports/permits. I believe you have 90 days to ride through, or pay the import duties with a possible 90 day extension, so within 6 months you have to pay taxes or split....:deal
  14. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Still hunting for a bike in CR. I'll be arriving the 26th of January, so I still have some time. My brother in law in CR is willing to buy the bike for me, I have the funds there, now it's just a question of pulling the trigger. I was all set to buy a 2012 Honda CGL - 125 for around $1,900 US which includes all taxes and insurance for 2013. Would do what I want, get around the town of Pérez-Zeledón, to the beach and back (less than an hour away), do some exploring on tame-ish roads...but a CGL - 125 is what it is.

Then I saw this:
    [FONT=&quot]Pitster Pro LXT 400 at a Costa Rican bike site:

[​IMG]

and a search led me right back to ADVRIDER:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531262

and here:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?1221-Pitster-Pro-Surprise-LXT-400

How cool is that? A site named "my china moto.com":clap

This bike sells for $3,500 new in CR. My budget for a bike in CR was 1500-3000...my plan was to use it there several times over the next year and a half. But this bike has me thinking of another plan: after my six week stay in CR, I could ride this one back to the States. After my time in CR, I still have from about 20 days before I have to start work again. That's probably just enough time to get back to OR...way too fast of a trip of course, but it's what I would have. More money for a bike, but it would allow me to do a north-south trip through CA. Hmmmm....what to do......

[/FONT]
  15. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Well...I'm getting close, decided against the [FONT=&quot]Pitster Pro LXT 400. Just a bit more money than what I want to spend and won't have time to ride it back to U.S[/FONT]. Back to "low-key" bike. Here are my two choices:

Honda CGL 125 (2013) for $1980 (was trying to get the 2012 model for $100 less, but they sold out)
    5 speed
    13 liter tank
    29.75" seat height
    both kick and electric start
    dealership will put on a 50/50 tire
    can choose black, dark blue[SIZE=3] or this g[SIZE=3]rey:[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[FONT=&quot][​IMG]

Or this:

Honda CB1-TUF (2013) for $2,160
    4 speed
    10 liter tank
    kick star[SIZE=3]t [SIZE=3]o[SIZE=3]nly
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]the red on[SIZE=3]e[SIZE=3] below[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

My sis-in-law has funds in hand, power of attorney, and will make the purchase on Saturday, Jan. 3. I just have to decide which one! The nice thing is that by purchasing this weekend, they can put the bike on a truck already [SIZE=3]delivering another moto[/SIZE] to Perez[SIZE=3]-Ze[SIZE=3]led[SIZE=3]on, where I'll be stayin[SIZE=3]g for 6 weeks. If not, I'd have to bus 3 ho[SIZE=3]urs to San Jose, then ride the bi[SIZE=3]ke [SIZE=3]back [SIZE=3]to PZ[/SIZE], so it save[SIZE=3]s me [SIZE=3]a full day when I'd rather[SIZE=3] be expl[SIZE=3]oring o[SIZE=3]ther areas.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  16. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    That little Honda would be perfect for Mrs. Trip with its 29" seat height. Anyone know of someplace that has those for a rental? We'd love to go back to CR on motos this time, but I have not been able to find anyplace with a bike that will fit her at 5' tall and 110lbs.

17. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Lots of people have had good rides set up by Wild Rider:

http://www.wild-rider.com/our-motorcycles/

But according to their site, the Honda XR250 is the smallest they have with a low seat height of 840mm, or 33". Still, they might be a good source to ask.

I can certainly ask around when I get there towards the end of the month.
  18. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess I am the proud owner of a brand new Honda CGL 125! Silver one as seen in prior photos. Just received this message from the salesman in Costa Rica. My sister-in-law has a power of attorney for my wife and so we purchased the bike in my wife's name, so I guess SHE's the rightful owner. Ironic, because she hates motorcycles, would never own one...what is it they say about "never say never"?:rofl

Anyway, I'll be in CR for six weeks beginning late January and the little 125 will be my mode of transport...RR coming soon.

[FONT=&quot]Saludos Paul[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Todo salió perfecto, hasta el lunes pasamos a alistar la moto con las llantas.[/FONT]
    (everything turned out fine, we'll get the bike ready with the [more dirt capable] tires on Monday)

Randall Zuñiga
    Ejecutivo de Ventas
    Honda.Motos.CostaRica
  19. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, that bike looks like it will be a blast. I'll look forward to the RR. We were there a few years ago with a rental mini 4x4 and spent a few days climbing Cerro Chirripo and up in the mtns, then down south to San Vito and out to Puerto Jimenez to Carate and Corcovado, Then up the coast and over to Lake Arenal area. Made a couple of friends I'm still in touch with on Facebook, even though my Spanish is rudimentary at best. Be fun to go back for another visit so I think I will write to Wild Rider, especially now that I have an idea of what we'd need.
    Enjoy your stay...I still remember San Isidro de General because I spent quite a bit of time shopping there for a propane canister that I never was able to find.
  20. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I love climbing Cerro Chirripó--have done it 5 times and hopefully will again this trip. Propane cansiter--some of the things readily available in the States can seem nearly impossible to get in other countries. I think often this happens because there are resources available that do the same thing.

So my sister in law sent me the purchase receipt:
    Valor del Vehículo: 685.000
    Gastos de Inscripición: 210.000
    Accessorios: 0
    Otros Gastos: 100.000
    Total: 995.000

Gastos de Inscripción are taxes, insurance for a year and tags. But I love the "otros gastos" (other expenses or charges)! I wonder when it comes to selling it if I can ask for an extra $200 in "other charges"?
    :rofl