Longmont-Rollinsville Dualsport Ride Saturday Morning (8/31)

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Cainer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aztlan59

Aztlan59 Hate Corona, prefer Dos XX

Oddometer:
    I'm "IN". Riding from Aurora.
    Tiger 800XC.
    See you at 8:00:clap
  2. blackjackdavey

blackjackdavey long time noob

Oddometer:
    i'll be there to see tiger climb Kingston Peak. :D

but i'm very slow on my stock KLR :deal...
  3. Cainer

Cainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, 7 confirmed, maybe 9...and a wide range of bikes!

This is going to be fun!! :D
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Somebody please bring a camera. :lurk
  5. Aztlan59

Oddometer:
    I have never taken a ride there before.

but just in case, have your camera ready:D

It's going to be fun
  6. Aztlan59

Oddometer:
    I hope, that is not going be any

Norm's evil sand hill or close to that, in this ride

Cheers Ed!
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    You are going to be on a Tiger 800? :eek1

At least you'll be going down the "rock equivalent x 50" of Norm's hill (and not up it) :photog

:ricky

[​IMG]

Seriously though; have been over it many times on my 950 the "harder way" - it'll all be good.
    Have a hoot! :freaky

It is one of the most amazing places on this planet that you can take a motorcycle! :clap

[​IMG]

p.s. make sure you have lots of air in your tires and everything you need to fix a pinch flat along. :thumb
  8. whiskeyandbikes

whiskeyandbikes Misplaced

Oddometer:
    Wow. Looks like a good ride. Can't believe I have to work and going to miss this. Stop by Roma afterwords.
    Whiskey
  9. whiskeyandbikes

whiskeyandbikes Misplaced

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not. Stop by.
    Whiskey
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I couldn't make it guys. Decided to wrench on my bike instead. Made some progress, but got stopped by parts that wouldn't fit and I need to exchange them...
  11. blackjackdavey

Oddometer:
    well. i figure i start the Roll call. i got home around 5.30. we was the group of 3 bigger bikes that turned around above alice when the rain kicked in. i really hope the rest of you who plowed on make it home safe. it looked like the storm got worse, probably not advisable by anyone to be at that altitude. hopefully it didn't snow.

those who went home before idaho springs, probably made a good decision :D
    this was a nice 'scratch-and-sniff' ride for bigger bikes :lol3
    nice meeting everyone.
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. BikeSDP

BikeSDP On a last chance power drive

Oddometer:
    The rest of us, including a 990 with Mefo/Heidenau tires made it to the Apex side of Kingston soaked, muddy and a bit cold, but otherwise all good. Luckily, it was just heavy showers without lightning. It was a lot of fun. Thanks to all that turned out. I'm sure some pics will be forthcoming. I just found my camera in my car, so I only have a few phone pics.
  14. Cainer

Cainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it wasn't bad weather up top...cold and wet, but amazing views. I got home about 6:00pm saddle sore and soaked to the bone but with a big smile after 10 hours of riding. :clap

[​IMG]

I split off from the 3 KTMs at Nederland and rode home through Boulder. I have tons of video and photos and there were at least 2 other GoPros along, so I'm sure there will be some good captures and ride reports.

Here's a few random shots though. :D
    http://imgur.com/a/JRdJ1#0

Amazing day of riding with a great group of guys. Awesome to meet everyone today!! Thanks to everyone who made it!
  15. LoneRhino

LoneRhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, it was a pleasure to meet you guys. Great people to ride with. Intelligent and aware.

Home and finally "dry"! Finishing with a nice tequila.

That is a tough group of big bike riders! You little scooter dewds too. Lots of loose rock on the ride to kick you around and side hill, side hill made especially fun when it got muddy! It was challenging, but a great ride made all that much better by good company. I was very lucky to get through that turn around point. If I wouldn't have seen that flat spot a hundred yards up, I would have been on the turn around. Deep, loose sand/dirt, wet with rocks. What's not to like? I was surprised that the other side was the same, but down hill. I've been on that trail a bunch on 4 wheels and on a smaller bike, but it never seemed as tough.

Thanks for the push Neil, it made all the difference and thanks for leading Steve, I've been thinking about some of that route all summer.

GREAT! GREAT! GREAT RIDE! Hope we can get the group out for another round soon. I need to get out with you guys on single track too.

I may do a ride Monday to some plane wreck up towards Estes. One of the trainers at the gym is taking his jeeping group up there. I have no idea how hard it is... If I go, is anyone interested?

Happy Labor-day,
    Mike

PS. Great photos!
  16. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might be. I'll have to check and get back to ya.
  17. Cainer

Cainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the GPX data from today for anyone who is interested: GPX Data

Here's the file on GPSVis.

Looks like this:
    [​IMG]
  18. blackjackdavey

Oddometer:
    i might be interested in a short half day ride on Monday (not fully committed yet though). crash site is relatively short there and back trail. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=174 nearby is a nice and easy Bunce school rd, as well as Middle St Vrain. I always wanted to check out Middle St Vrain. rd, however the word on the street is that it's very rocky for big bikes and heavy jeep traffic. i assume all of those roads will be full of jeeps on monday. i'll get back online on sunday night to see what everyone is doing..
  19. Pinozul

Pinozul Miles to Go Before....

Oddometer:
    Gents: Let me second Mike's comments...definitely a pleasure to meet you guys and what a fun ride. (Other than that small lake I took a swim in.) Kudos to Neil & Steve for organizing and leading the ride.

Would love to do it again sometime and we'll have to leave some time for post-ride beers. (Or tequila, as the case may be.)

Reading the comments above, it sounds like my decision to head back at Idaho Springs was more prescient than I realized. Had I continued on, I would have had a fun night "camping" on Kingston.

No sooner had I pulled in the garage, when I saw the dreaded drip-drip-drip from my oil pan. Yup, one of those blasted rocks punched a hole right through the thing. Hosed the bike down, loaded it on the trailer, and off to the BMW dealer to do my part for the economy...ours and Germany's. It turns out that the really nice skid plate I ordered last week was not a day late and a dollar short but more like a week late and 450 dollars short. Ouch.

No doubt about it, bicycle racing was a much cheaper sport. Of course, that "engine" ain't what it used to be, either.

Tom
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Ouch sorry about your oil leak Tom :(:
    Kingston is definitely the type of place a skid plate is pretty much mandatory (as you found out).

For those who want some more of Kingston.. next Saturday is our annual Jekyll & Hyde Ride
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912230

Basically we start in Nederland at 4pm and ride over Kingston the hard way to Idaho Springs.
    Have a pizza dinner at Beau Jos (usually finishing 9 or 10pm ish) and then go back over Kingston Peak (in the direction you guys did) in the dark.

Sitting up at the Rock House above Loch Lamond after midnight is an unforgettable experience :ricky

:freaky