Real reason for fitting aftermarket exhaust

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by VargasD, Nov 12, 2012.

1. VargasD

VargasD Novato

Oddometer:
    So I've been pondering the idea of replacing the stock exhaust can with an aftermarket slip-on option. But power increase is barely noticeable and weight diference is a mere 1% of the total weight of the bike (no luggage, ride-ready). So is it really worth handing over $375 to $700 (double the amount here in Costa Rica) for a "performance" upgrade that really isn't that much of an improvement? Never mind that a new exhaust would look absolutely awesome on my bike and the growl from the new can would give me goose pumps... I'm just asking if it's really worth the trouble, aside from aesthetic reasons.

I'd like to know what others think.:ear
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Sounds good. Not massive amounts of new power but bike is more fun to rev. It's a motorcycle and supposed to be fun. If you were being logical you would have bought a Toyota. Buy a used exhauts with a slight dent and pay peanuts!

3. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    On one of my Ducatis it was, especially on cold mornings. On my BMW and other duck - no.
  4. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've nailed it right there :1drink
  5. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do a full system you can potentially gain 5 HP (~6% gain) which doesn't sound like a lot but that has added benefit. I cut my stock system and punched out the cat for a variety of reasons and will be putting the system on a dyno this summer with a slip on (TBD) and will be interested to see what that winds up doing?
  6. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Balanced pannier racks and 7lb weight loss is the reason I did it.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    A high quality aftermarket exhaust is lighter, more compact, looks better, has better performance, sounds better.

The only trade off is money, how should we be able to tell whether it's worth it to you? If you got a million bucks sitting in the bank do it, if you are not going to be able to afford another tank of gas later then don't do it, anywhere in the middle it's down to your priorities...
  8. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks cool. It sounds good. And makes you feel good
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a power upgrade no. I bought a carbon Leo Vince. I wanted to get some weight off up high. The oval shape and carbon type was meant for some custom racks I wanted to fabricate for soft luggage. Tighter and further forward than the typical hippo ass sold commercially. Ended up going with a Giant Loop.

I had already mounted an Accelerator module. Coupled with the exhaust, it does seem to make the bike run smoother and breath better at higher rpm. Could be the halo effect of wanting to feel more power when you spend money, but I did not expect any HP gains, but it certainly feels like there are some.

After all the suspension mods whats another $300?
  10. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    Weight savings (OEM is a tank) and as a moto guy you got to love the cool factor.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waste of money IMHO. But so are a lot of things.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :evil</v:shapetype> If it makes you feel good do it, don't try to rationalize it. :D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  12. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Ah, Novato. There is a thread in the West Regional forum about NPD being more than happy to lighten your wallet if they catch you with a loud pipe. I'm not sure if they're still checking on that or have found other crimes to investigate.
  13. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    Is if you know you will be traveling in areas with poor quality gas in which case you would remove the cat to make sure it doesn't get damaged and leave you stranded. Otherwise it is just eye and ear candy, IMO save the money and put it towards suspension upgrades where you will really see a difference:D
  14. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    1. The cat is in the header and not the muffler.
    2. Poor quality gas does nothing to a cat, leaded gas does which you won't find in the Americas or most other places in the world these days.
    3. If the cat gets damaged it won't leave you stranded, the only thing that happens is that your emissions get worse, but not any worse than without it.

Learn something new every day! :D
  15. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    I found a used Akropovic and mated it to the Remus exhaust. Then I added the PC-V and I was startled by the power increase. I have since gotten used to it to the point where I wonder if it was all in my head.
    AND my crash bars and bash plate had to be modified around the Remus pipes. I do love the sound though.
  16. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    If you ride in places where you need to pick your bike up more than twice per ride I can tell you that shaving off those extra lbs is something your body will thank you for a thousand times over.
  17. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the LeoVince carbon pipe originally because the shape allowed me to go with a balanced rack system and balanced boxes. It also shaved a few pounds. The big suprise was that it totally smoothed out the snatchy throttle issue that I had with my 2009 F800GS.
  18. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    that's what I meant:D
  19. LJRAT

LJRAT LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer:
    Y'All know I have played the exhaust game quite a bit with my F-8. Three exhaust systems later I can say with full honesty: "More power less filling! Just remebr that this is a big soffisticated air pump and you have to change the flow through the entire motor system not just the can on the end of the chain!
  20. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    It was one of the last mods I did, as the stocker sounded pretty good. But once I held the stocker in one hand and a titanium 2 Bros in the other... wow. The stocker is a tank compared to an aftermarket. Sounds good without being too loud. But it's not really needed, I could drink less beer and lose the weight. Or you could buy an aftermarket pipe and drink more beer!:1drink