DRZ400E Andy Strapz Pannier Racks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kipo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    That just about nails what I was trying to say :clap, and yes Gadget they do like to bolt to the seat for some reason.....:huh I copied their style but had it hooked to the rear bolt holes in the E frame. It's strong and capable.
  2. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    I've made some racks for my DRZ. The problem I had with the ones off the shelf was A. The cost and B. I've got a B&B rear rack which shares the same mounting point of pannier racks. So here's what I did:

First I drilled an 8mm hole straight through the mounting point on the B&B rack to run a bolt through to mount the pannier racks

[​IMG]

I had 2 X regtangles made up at the local steel centre of 10mm solid round bar - 200mm x 300mm as the frames then I welded some 25mm x 6mm flat bar as required. I used fairly hefty bar for 2 reason, 1/ strength and 2/ I've only got a stick ark welder and I'm ok welding thick metal and figured I couldn't blow a hole in this stuff :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the mounting tabs that are used to bolt the side covers on with some spacers. I run stegz pegz and was still ok.

[​IMG]

If you are wondering why I put the bar across the top it's so I can use it as a tie down point for a swag or bag across the top. The B&B rack is useless for tie points.

End result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All up cost was $65 for the regtangle frames and the other steel (which I've got heaps left for next project) from the local steel centre.
  3. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    That's fantastic Kipo, and the strong steel over the top can double to carry 6m lengths of 90mm downpipe as well......:rofl

Told you you could do it!

I've just found out that the eldest girl's partner can Mig weld (as I'm minding his Mig welder at the moment), so some replica Wolfman racks are in the planning stage for the Tenere.:wink:
  4. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    It's also designed as a tow point for broken down Tenere's :lol3
  5. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Geez you've got a nice rack Kipo :evil

I think the bike will disintegrate before they do..:clap

Mate, anyone can Mig weld. I've got a full WIA pro system & taught Russ' wife (SYDADVGS) to weld in 5 minutes. :lol3

Anytime you want to have a go the shed's open..
  6. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    How about broken down Tenere riders??:lol3

I should take you up on that. My old man was a very good boilermaker welder by trade, and try as he could, he couldn't teach me to arc weld. I even have his old portable welding unit here, and all I know about it is that it's very heavy!!