Paging Nuttynu - a challenge for you!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by HayDuchessLives, Jan 18, 2013.

1. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hey Nuttynu,

Since you have already been out riding your bike on the highway, I learned about a challenge you might be interested in doing, ASAP.

We stopped at the Brown Bear Bar after backcountry skiing today and I learned that every year there is a fierce competition to be the first biker to ride out to the Brown Bear Bar. The "winner" gets some sort of arm band to wear and they are highly sought after and worn with pride. Nobody has been out there yet, so I thought of you. One guy almost rode out there last weekend but the parking lot was a sheet of ice so he didn't go.

FYI - south Anchorage only got an inch or two of snow, extending all the way to at least Bird Creek. The highway driving lanes are mostly dry from south Anchorage to at least Bird Creek, and the Brown Bear Bar is right past Indian Creek (which is before Bird Creek). Their parking lot has an inch or two of packed snow on the ice, so it's not TOO bad. They put some gravel down. It's only about 40 or 50 yards from the highway to the front of the bar.

The roads in Anchorage are pretty icy in places, so you could trailer your bike out to the Carrs Huffman parking lot and easily get on the highway from there. The Brown Bear Bar is about 20 minutes out of town, if you drive the speed limit (which I encourage you to do, or go a little slower, of course, to be safe :D ).

If you feel like trying this challenge, you can call out there beforehand to make sure nobody has rode their bike there before you. If you do it - GOOD LUCK and RIDE SAFE!
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha !
    Now you tell me when anchorage just got dump wth snow !

Oooweee. I may accept this challenge. I know where that bar is, passed it many time.
    I will let ya know . If i do attempt , it'll be this coming Monday or that following weekends !
    Oooh this is exciting !!
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hey nutty, I just put the studs on the KLR and am available Sun or Mon to go with you.

Thought I'd put a GoPro mount on my helmet and we could swap the camera back and forth so I could get some pics of you on your bike. I don't own a GoPro but could get a mount.

Me and my sportbike buds are very impressed with the pics of your CBR with TKC's! Way cool.

Later, Mark H.
  4. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Darmnnn !!
    ;) now we have competition !

Haha. But yes this coming Monday or Tuesday. If we don't get any more snow, hopefully the snow now will clear a path to this destination.

You should make it fine with those studed tires
  5. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm counting on 'em.

This'll be my 5th winter on the same set. Ya hoo fun! :wink:

Mark H.
  6. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    COOL, you got any pics of that bike and those studed tires?

here's her from Tuesday's ride, right before we had all this snow :)

[​IMG]
  7. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Well, YEAH!?! :huh :lol2 There are about a half dozen ride reports in my sig line that include photos, some of which were used in an article in RIDER magazine about winter riding and the Year Round Rider msg board. :brow

This is from when I first got 'em a few years ago. They were studded up by the great Hackymoto. One car stud per knobie. I like how Comet is kinda giving me that look of wondering if I have any idea about what I'm getting into.

[​IMG]

My front has always held and with only 37hp the rear kicks out in very controllable manner. Fun!
    Oh, and I like to go even more hi-viz in the winter. :wink: Mark H.

[​IMG]
  8. flybynitetours

flybynitetours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The accolade for 1st bike to the Brown Bear is no longer available. 13hp (TW200) trumps 37hp apparently, not to mention sport bikes. Pics on the Brown Bear Facebook page. rw:clap
  9. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Haha awesome !!!

I don't see anything on their page.