Airhead Timing Chain...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by brentde3, Feb 26, 2011.

1. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
    I'm due on my 89GS and I was wondering if I had to take it all apart before knowing what to order.
  2. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Do you usually see the same problem with the lower sprocket? And, is it a good idea to just order the sprocket(s), or tear it down and see exactly what the condition is?
  3. Reryder

Reryder Onward through the fog...

Oddometer:

Same trick of putting the old link in from the front to hold the chain together while you fiddle the new link in from the rear would work on a duplex too.
  4. Carrizojim

Carrizojim Still stumblin along

Oddometer:
    I did the double row chain on my '77 R100/7 without much trouble. My sprockets were in good shape, I didn't want to remove them (and I didn't have any pullers). So I cut the chain with a cutting wheel and installed the new chain and master link. I did replace the tensioner assy... I didn't have any real trouble. I have put about 10k miles on it since...

Attached Files:

5. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems the bolt cutter solution might be a preferred approach to avoid sending cutting debris places where it may get washed into the sump? (I guess that's a question.)
  6. Carrizojim

Carrizojim Still stumblin along

Oddometer:
    Yes, that would be preferred, I plugged openings and then washed everything down before assembling and closing things up. I wrapped up the upper bearing before cutting.
  7. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    The A#1 chain breaker! Just used it on my dr 650 drive chain also. For the double row chain even a large bolt cutter like this won't cut all the way back. You need to cut a gap in the first row of chain and then reach in to get the back links.

[​IMG]
  8. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    I want to build a table like that! Any info?
  9. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    No that is r2adv's table. He posted the photo of the sprockets earlier in this thread. I'm sure he'll tell you what's up if you PM him or maybe he'll see this. But in general what you see is what you get. I think they are going to trim the side 2x's so there is more access.
  10. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    I've been cutting my old timing chains out using bolt/chain cutters for years.

I got to the point where I could swap a /6 chain at night on the back patio, using a trouble light.

Once you've done it two or three times, timing chains are a snap. Not fun, but you know what I mean! :lol3
  11. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:

Come on Ken, out on the patio in the dark is good, but wouldn't it be more memorible if you did it with one hand tied behind your back, or blindfolded?
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    While it's raining.

:rofl
  13. r2adv

r2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be glad to shoot some images of the table but I call this version 1.0. Once I built it I discovered what I would change.
  14. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Well, once I got really good at swappin em, I'd stop in a parking lot on the way to elementary school, borrow a hack saw and a pair of pliers from the 5+10 and install a new chain right damn there. Took about five minutes and I never even got my hands dirty. :norton

I liked changin em chains so much that when I was in High School, sometimes I'd carry a spare chain with me and swap one out just for shits and giggles! Then, one day I met this kinda cute house wife out ridin her old mans /5 (The one with the big jugs.) and she said her chain was rattlin and asked me if I'd lube her chain up for her. Her hubby weren't home and didnt seem to like lubin that much anyway, so I fallered her to her house and....

Never mind.:smile6
  15. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didja get her circlips seated properly? :deal
  16. r2adv

r2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you installed a duplex chain was the master link this close to the engine block?

[​IMG]
  17. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't forget that center link
  18. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did that chain come from? I've never seen one with split rollers, and would think hard before using one.
  19. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    The rollers aren't split, that's stamping marks or whatever from manufactoring. It's the Iwis chain that you buy from dealers etc.
  20. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The link needs to come in from the opposite side of the chain.