HF Tire Changer alternative

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaestroPNW, Apr 18, 2013.

1. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:

I've changed a lot of car/truck tires with the HF changer. It takes a bit of practice but once you're used to it you can change them pretty quick.
  2. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the Nomar but did make my own low $$$ tire changing fixture and having the wheel firmly secured and at waist level makes all the difference, tire changes are much easier. A bead breaker like their attachment is a great help too, especially on big stiff tubeless radials, also made my own from scrap. Those tools along with real tire mounting lube (Ruglyde) and some zip ties (learned to use them in another thread here) have made the whole process relatively easy and eliminated pinched tubes completely. Anyway, IMHO if you change tires fairly often it is well worth buying or building some tools for the job (and much easier on your back too ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've mounted nine car tires with mine. Mounting is the cheap part at the tire shop, though--balancing is the expensive part that I can't do at home.
  4. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I'm thinking along the same lines as you, making my own. I'm curious how you secure the rim to keep it from moving?

The idea I have is similar to yours but I was gong to put slots in the base board and run two tie down straps around the spokes through the slots in the base to keep the wheel from twisting on me.

As far as breaking the bead I've found that leaving the wheel on the bike and breaking the bead with a c-clamp has worked pretty good.

Your fab jobs look great :thumb

I also use a mixture or liquid body soap and mineral oil for a tire lube.
  5. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Tire changes are easy. :thumb

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D06s1MIUnYo" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  7. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I thought that at first too, but I think that is the rim width limitations. I could be wrong as the ad isn't clear. Message the seller. Since it advertises for motorcycles, and almost no motorcycles have under a 17" wheel, I am hopefull.

Otherwise it looks like an OK unit for the price.

Jim :brow
  9. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I arrived at the same conclusion - judging by the measurements on the pictures, 16.5 looks to ne realistic.
  10. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    My Latest HF ad had a tire changer in it.

Les
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Bad assumption:

[​IMG]

11" from center means a max of 22" rim.

12. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    the sliding arms don't look like they move all the way out. In fact, the pin needs to be on the outside of the arm to prevent it from moving outwards. Estimating length of the square tube on the base of the arm, effective max distance from the center would be about 8'', not 11'', making diameter around 16.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    So drill a hole through the wheel holders about 1/2" from the end and get 22" wheels!

14. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I had a No Mar, but changing the rear tire became too difficult, sold it and bought this, very heavy duty and works like a charm. same as the Greg Smith but a different color.

[​IMG].
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  15. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:

:bow
  16. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:

Soon as I saw your picture I scanned over to see your location. Damn...wish you were closer. :rofl
  17. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Just ended up building my own tire changer using the instructions for the no-skuff tool.

http://no-scufftiretool.com/Tiresetup.html

Works pretty good. Changed the BMW tires over the weekend, and everything went very well. Kinda bumbed that the front tire of my WR250R will not fit over the 3/4" threaded rod, but that tire was never much of an issue and rear still works. Yeah, i know, I should have pictures, but I don't. Mine looks like his in the link above.
  18. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    +1 on the No-scuff. I use mine with a Moose tire stand which I've got bolted to a 2 ft square piece of plywood, which in turn gets bolted to the floor with anchor bolts when I need to use it.

[​IMG]

I still need to build a bead breaker, but the No-scuff is the real deal.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  19. CZroe

CZroe n00b

Oddometer:
    Nooooo! As a fellow Newnan-ite, I've been looking for one for far longer. Did you list it on AccessCoweta instead of Craigslist or something? Tell me who you sold it to so I can track them down and-er... make them sell it to me! ;)
  20. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    SOLD SOLD SOLD

If anyone is looking for a Harbor Freight tire changing machine, I've got one with several useful modifications for sale right now. I'm in Lenexa, KS and local pick up would be best. I do have plans to head south to Texas probably in the next couple of weeks, so I could deliver it somewhere along I-35.

PM me if interested. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22498266&postcount=3317