New tire need scuffing myth

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TheBlurr, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    This is what makes ADV so great!

54 pages of feeding the troll. :rofl

I once had this conversation with a guy that mounted his own tires, who swore that no scrubbing in was ever necessary for him...

He lived on a 1/4 mile loose gravel driveway. By the time he hit pavement, the tires were fine. It simply never occurred to him that he was scrubbing the surface by riding the gravel out to the road. :D
  2. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    No, it's physics. That's why I have no problems, I'm finne with physics.
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    You're a finne? I thought you were German.:lol3
  4. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    You are dangerously close to sounding like the OP. I had a picture on my office wall that stated, "If you assert it, then you must test it." I learned that lesson (and, thus, made the picture as a reminder) in court when I asserted something I thought was true, but never verified the assertion because I relied solely on my experience. The explanation for why that happened is another story. Let's just say that an attorney/expert relationship existed. The result embarrassed me and I will never let that happen again.

In the spirit of your claim, I suggest that you mount some different tires on your bike and charge hard-assed and full-tilt into the first turn you encounter at a track day without scrubbing them. Please video yourself. Any less than full-out makes your claim suspect.

I am prepared to be amazed. And, I/we-all might learn something truly valid.

Words are words, my friend. Prove your claim.
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    You make a lot of BS statements , with the premise of being a paid expert witness for ambulance chasers as your claim to fame. You have no more credibility here than anyone else and I honestly believe , having read many of your posts ,that you don't know your a$$ from your elbow.:D
  6. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately your test isn't really a test, in that it depends on the attitude and skill of the person doing the test. Just about anybody could push "good" tires until they crashed, or successfully ride on "bad" tires. You need a repeatable, quantifiable test if you want to convince someone of the properties of a particular tire.
  7. erkmania

Oddometer:
    Please, don't read too much into it. You are completely right. I was chastising a big mouth that hasn't the ability to separate personal fact from real world fiction. I'm just asking joexr to back up his claims like I asked the OP.
  8. erkmania

Oddometer:
    And, to think. I was really trying to be polite. Weren't you one of the folks that originally disagreed with the OP? Your previous post made you sound inconsistent and hypocritical and I was hoping to point that out without offending.

I guess I stepped in a shallow pond. I won't make that mistake with you again.
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Prove me wrong , expert.:deal
  10. erkmania

Oddometer:
    About what exactly?

1) Shallow pond? (me about you);
    2) Hypocrisy? (me questioning you);
    3) Politeness? (me about...well, me);
    4) "In seconds the sides will be scrubbed in." (joexr). The number of seconds on new tires?; or
    5) "Unless you start from a dead stop while leaned over , with the speed a tire rotates , you can throw it over as fast as you want to to full lean and and it's STILL basically gradual as far as contact patch goes. " (joexr). How fast you can throw a bike onto its side without problem on new tires?

Are you too weak to do your own legwork?

There are so many things to pick from that you left me confused about what you are trying to say, AGAIN.

Lastly, I recommend that you and I take this this pettiness down to JoMamma and have a field day because I truly believe some folks really want to know about the "myth of scrubbing" and I, for one, have no desire to interfere with them.

Take a hint, Joe.
  11. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Or at a minimum, take it to PM.:deal

Please use the ignore feature and move on.

Your friendly mod,

~EC
  12. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spooned on a set of Avon RoadRiders on my old Suzuki. Some kind of silicone slippery stuff all over one of the tires. Just the rear tire. My hands are all slippery now even after I washed my hands a little bit.
  13. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    No. This is not true:)
  14. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everything I say is a lie. :augie
  15. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure if I went right out and leaned hard into a corner I'd fall down right away. Because it's snowing.
  16. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    I pulled the wheels off of my GS last night and am spooning on a set of K60's tonight. Man, those 50/50's look great. Especially that shiny Armor All like tread surface. I can't wait to get them out tomorrow, and blast out of the garage WFO. It may drop down to 6-10° F, but I've got those grip warmers. There is a tight 90° left hander less than 1/8 mile away, and I'm thinking of stuffing my GS into that corner, and wheelie my way out in record time. Of course, I have READ Total Control and Twist of the Wrist. And, I was at the MotoGP at Laguna Seca last year. I saw Marquez make "the pass" on Rossi in the Cork Screw. I think he still had his tire labels on! "Scuffing" is for wimps.
  17. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    I love K60's on my GS. The first 1/4 mile from my house is a chip seal surface made of, I'm not kidding, 1" fractured rock. It's the biggest, roughest, nastiest chip seal I've ever seen in my life. I think Gunnison county thinks it lasts longer or something. But talk about scuffing , this stuff will eat you tires in no time. No choice about scuffing.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually talked with a Dunlop rep and engineer at the Cleveland Cycle World Motorcycle Show.

No mold coating used, we all know that by now.

The tire could use some miles just to start the heat cycling process to get the tires where they should be chemically. So they might not have best adhesion for a fair amount of riding time. He said it takes a few heat cycles to essentially set the compound characteristics. As for the surface, when pressed a bit he felt it makes sense to run in the tires a bit to roughen the surface a bit. Basically riding in a normal fashion increasing cornering lean incrementally over time rather than just slam it in. Racers don't go full tilt instantly either.

His biggest concern and his opinion for the "break in" time... Handling. the new tire is so different in feel from the worn out one put on the bike, the rider may make a riding error due to the handling now working as it should. That is especially true of riders who wear a tire to the max and those who ride underinflated tires. We had one guy bring his Gold Wing back to the shop telling us to get "that road race tread" tire off his bike. I think it had a more rounded Michelin on it over the slightly more oval Tour Elite of the time. His problem was the bike was actually handling as it was supposed to.

The rep felt that was what made many riders crash on new tires. They're ready for the bike to work one way and it is a shock when it doesn't do what they expect.

He did say the same thing I did about the new bike out of the crate - preservative sprayed on the bike will be on the tires too. That is one time when the tires should be "broken in" to wear the preservative spray off the tread. He reaffirmed the fact that any tire cleaner/shines will leach the preservatives out of the tire and that it was also possible the preservative can come to the surface when a bike sits for a long time making it prudent to ride a bit careful for the first few miles and corners.

A lot of this was the same thing I learned from a Bridgestone rep back around 1987 at a Honda parts/accessories seminar. To add flame to the fire I was also told the minor cracking of the tire rubber compound due to age and "drying out" (preservative being exhausted) was not a problem unless you can see the tire cord through the crack. Of course that would no longer be one of those tiny cracks, it would be a significant crack in the rubber. Flame on!
  19. erkmania

Oddometer:
    That all just seems so darned reasonable.

Right or wrong, I think I'll just continue to stick with the 5-year since made rule. I had a friend give me some new slicks for my race bike once that were at least 5-years old. I scuffed them in on the street near our shop and I never got comfortable with them. They just didn't provide any confidence. I mounted new tires and the bike returned to normal.

Another experience was with a tire that was shipped to me recently. It was just more than 5-years old. I hemmed and hawed about returning it. I checked the tread with my Durometer and didn't really see much difference between the used and the new tire. But, the rubber's suppleness just didn't seem good to me or the friends of mine that looked at it, too. The rep for the distributor had heard the same rule-of-thumb and he didn't argue in the least when I asked him to exchange the tire.

These are just the anecdotal experiences that come immediately to mind. YMMV.
  20. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Even this?