Lowrance XOG

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by northidaho, Oct 30, 2007.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's not get started on this, I bought the latest and greatest Delorme pn 60 and it can't autoroute me to the nearest gas station come on :huh.

The Delorme map data is awesome, but you'll see the XOG on my bike for now.
  2. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    I have had no problem routing with the PN60. I just hate the small tiny squint to see screen. I just wish my XOG would be more reliable as I like that a hole bunch more for the bike.
  3. DmsFab

DmsFab Banned

Oddometer:
    So is a brand new XOG for $100 a good deal and will it suite me good as a "new to gps, never used one" type of guy?

Also, I cannot find Australia maps on the mapsource site. Does the Xog have any Oz maps already in it?
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:

Autorouting. Ie not having to preplan a route from a computer.

Was on a 2 month trip with the pn60, fuel getting low look for gas station in poi database tell it to go to the poi and it locks up. After a couple of hours later with tech support, the best they could tell me was 1) It's really designed for hiking and 2) you need to be near a major intersection for it to auto route.

Delorme Tech support is 2nd to none. Reps that use the products and know them and won't attempt to BS when what they have can't meet the customers needs.

If Delorme has figured this out, let me know, I will buy one in a hurry.
  5. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    No Oz maps included in the XOG.
    Your on your own there. I do not know if they ever produced any for it. :huh
    It might be possible to brew your own, but thats exactly a challenge for the neophyte user though.

Search for shonkymaps for Garmin Oz maps.

Some folks have had issues wit the XOG in reliability but mine (have 2) have been fine. Only issue I got is the units really like to mounting with the top pointed straight up to get the best sat lock.
    When mounted at 45* angle as on a set of bars might be it tends to loose sat lock when riding due north. :cry
  6. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    I have never used the PN60 to plane a route while in the field. it would be useless. Hell, you can't even zoom out enough to see what and where the rout it has planned, is going to.

And on POI's, I agree with you. If you are in the middle of nowhere off road, the PN60 can not tell you where the nearest gas is. The XOG can which is why it pisses me off that that I can not rely on it. I have owned 3 units and currently have 2. One of them goes brain dead about every other time I turn it on, so I always need to bring a spare. The first one I owned went brain dead so Lowrance replaced it with my second one which goes brain dead. The third only went brain dead one time so far.
  7. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    Just snagged a spare XOG (used)...

I'll keep it locked in the panniers in case the original craps out or gets stolen.

The interface takes a bit to get used to but I guess there is a learning curve with any of them.
  8. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
  9. ElkSlayer

ElkSlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bringing back from the dead.... Will the MapCreate software work with Windows7??? NIB XOGs are still around for $90, but I am not certain I can run the software on my newer computers.

Thanks,

Jim
  10. Garand

Garand Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer:
    I should be able to let you know if a few days, I just rebuilt my computer and need to install Mapselect again..

If it doesnt work under Win7, my guess would be that it would work fine running in XP compatibility mode.
  11. ElkSlayer

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted, Buddy!

Jim
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    hey elkslayer. i have two xog's and both of them work fine with windows 7 starter version installed on a assus net book.
    both of my units have never gone brain dead and neither of them loose sats when going north no matter what angle they are at. the only problem i have with one of them is the battery will not hold a charge for more the 15 min. while the other one keeps it charge for about 2.5 hrs depending on how much you are using it. but both of mine are used either on the motorcycle or in the car so not a problem. my handheld is a lowrance I-finder exp.
    hope this is of some value to you.

cyclepath

13. ElkSlayer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply!!!

Jim
  14. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the XOG's too.
    I love them perfect for my use on the bike and car.
    The down side Mapcreate has been discontinued and is sold out most places.
    The maps are 4 years old and there will never be updates from Lowrance.
    when Lowrance was sold they disbanded the automotive unit and that killed the XOG then and there.

If the GPS is not mounted vertically it will loose sat lock when travelling north.
    Just make sure its pointed straight up. No problems.
    Its very water resistant I've had in some serious down pours and it never missed a beat.
  15. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone replaced a battery in the xog? or is it not replaceable? I haven't taken it apart yet so thought i'd ask first.

cyclepath
  16. klrmtn

klrmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was all set to replace my supposedly dead battery. Had the new one, opened up the case. Unplugged the battery. For some reason, I got interrupted and for kicks plugged the battery back in. The unit started up and has been holding a 2 hour charge ever since. I still have the new battery in it's package ready for when the battery really dies. I don't know if doing a system reset on the side will do the same thing? I'd sure open it up and unplug it again before buying a battery though. Otherwise, it's not a hard thing to do.
  17. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    hey klrmtn. thanks for that info. does unplugging the battery cause any lose of info that i have stored on xog. I did a hard reset years ago a short time after I bought it. It has always had the battery problem and I thought this was just normal until I bought the second one.

thanks again, cyclepath
  18. nanohiccup

nanohiccup in time

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here found a good replacement for their XOG ? Have really liked the interface, customization, pan n zoom ease and overall method of putting together routes on the fly. The only reason I'm looking is my XOG seems to have developed a problem locating itself sometimes. Has been mounted in the same position for many years. Thanks for any suggestions..
  19. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    I wired in a Nokia BL-5C cell phone battery into one of my units and it has been working good.

You can get the battery on Ebay but it takes some solder skills to make the switch.