Honda preparing Dakar assault

Discussion in 'Racing' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think JC's too experienced a racer to throw it away in the first few days of the race. I think the only thing that would derail a top 10 finish would be if he had to give up bike parts etc to Helder or Javier in an emergency,( which is his job as the "water carrier" ).
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Kurt has multiple International Six Days Enduros under his belt (more than JC). He knows how to pace. Kurt also has much more experience than QC, (I'm a huge QC fan). JC is NOT in as good of physical condition as he has been in years gone by and he has said so himself.
  3. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    After riding with Robby I think JC has learned some of the things not to do.
  4. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While yes Johnny is smart, talented, & experienced I'm not so sure he'll be running in the top 15.

Eric (lead mechanic at JCR for those of you who don't know) is not JC's personal mechanic there. Eric will oversee certain aspects of all 3 bikes but not technically concentrate on any single one.
    But that being said and if you know Eric, he'll take care of the Boss.
  5. Ciampa

Ciampa Long timer

Oddometer:
    JC is downplaying playing it. This is his big comeback moment. Cue "Eye of the Tiger."
    <br>
  6. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    When I spoke with JC in Zagora, Morocco in the bivouac, he also downplayed his role saying he was the water carrier and getting too old at 41 to being going so fast. And I thought, yeah right, when he gets out there he's going to nail it.

It's in his nature!
  7. Ciampa

Ciampa Long timer

Oddometer:
    December 21, 2012
    Coma Out Of Dakar, Kurt Caselli In!
    Caselli Will Ride Coma's Factory KTM
    Cycle News

AMA National Hare and Hound Champion Kurt Caselli will make his Dakar Rally debut as a replacement rider for rally legend Marc Coma, who is still suffering from the effects of the shoulder he injured in the Morocco Rally in October, KTM announced this morning.

"We always took the precaution to have a reserve rider properly registered in case of such circumstances and it will be KTM USA's Kurt Caselli who will step in to ride Coma's bike," said KTM factory team manager Alex Doringer. "We want him to ride the Dakar without any pressure, embrace the adventure and learn from the experience."

In addition to his numerous wins in all sorts of domestic off-road events, Caselli was a member of the KTM team that recently finished second in the 2012 edition of the Baja 1000. Caselli's start number is yet to be confirmed.

"It has always been a goal in my career to compete in the Dakar," Caselli said. "There would be no way possible for me to achieve this without the ongoing support of KTM. To be able to race the greatest off-road race in the world aboard the best bike in the world is truly a blessing. This is not only a milestone in my career but also in my life."

KTM has won 11 straight Dakar Rallies with Coma winning three of those. The Spaniard's last win in the race came in 2011.

"We worked really hard with the doctors and the physiotherapists right up until the last minute but we have to be realistic," Coma said. "One of the muscles in my shoulder is still giving me problems and there is a lack of movement. This is the logical consequence and we must be honest and clear about the situation."

The 5000-mile race will start in Lima, Peru on January 5 and will take competitors through Peru, Argentina and Chile.

"Marc is one of our key riders and together with his teammate Cyril Despres has giving KTM the last seven Dakar titles," Doringer said. "While we are disappointed that he is unable to ride, the health and welfare of our factory riders is the most important consideration. If he is not 100 percent fit, it is better for him to sit out the 2013 rally."

Coma, who will now concentrate his efforts on regaining complete fitness ahead of the rest of the 2013 season and looking forward to the Dakar 2014, said he was sad for the team but underlined that the Dakar is a 'winning project' for KTM so there was no alternative than to make this announcement. Doringer said he hoped Coma would be at the start in Lima to wish the team well and see them launch their attack.
  8. Enduro10

Enduro10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2002 I bougth a XR650 due to JC victory's at Baja 1000. The guy is my idol since then...As Zanol won't be racing, JC is the one I'll follow.:clap
  9. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Many may consider JC too long in the tooth, but if I was any other top contender in this field... the last person I'd want riding on my heels is JC, PERIOD.

If you haven't seen him when he's riding in his zone... Watch The F*&k Out!!!

Many accomplished Dakar veterans say that the road books favor those who read french. And that the navigational language can make or break any good rider's Dakar campaign.

What JC may lack in youth, he makes up for in his navigation experience from last year, and his competitive desert riding pedigree.

I don't think JC expects to win the Dakar... but there's a serious Dakar slaying monster resting inside of his helmet that could get unleashed at any moment.

And you can bet Robbie Gordon will create helpful interference any opportunity he can.

I'd want to be on the right side of both of those two.
  10. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    JC is there to support and assist the HRC team and Helder, that he will do 100%

One thing he will do (machine permitting) is to stay with Helder to the finish - job done :clap:clap:clap

Go Johnny :clap :clap :clap
  11. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  12. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    1000%
  13. sfevildick

sfevildick Coffee Bean

Oddometer:
    Helder's got this one!
  14. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

All 5 of the HRC bikes unpacked at Lima... lots of spares unfortunately
  15. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what is the big blocky part at the end of the right side swingarm? Looks like it might be a brake carrier.
  16. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Inverse traction articulator. (&#20887;&#35527;&#12384;&#12424;)
  17. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    brake caliper guard and disc guard
  18. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    You had me going for a second. I get the disk guard, just trying to figure the need for the big square of aluminum at the end.

Also interesting to note no Red Bull graphics on Helder's bike. Looks like corporate only.
  19. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    Has me wondering if the rider contracts only allow for helmet space? I noticed Johnny Campbell sporting a Rock Star flatbill in the family Christmas photo :ear
  20. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spoken like an engineer.:D