Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I had an Ohio RC 1/3 scale Extra 300S with a 3W twin in it....it was a blast, but huge to transport. I have a little .30 size Extra that I bought to build and cover the same as the big one, but never finished the little one...then sold the big one. They're a fun plane, but I prefer the Edge or even a Yak over the Extra. I should electrify the little one I have and fly it...
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest electric I have is a VQ P39...I just dug up an old thread on wattflyer and found out I finished this plane in 2009 and it is still going strong...on the original battery...I actually don't think they make this guy anymore, but it has about a 5' wingspan and ready to fly IIRC comes in at about 12lbs. Sweet flying plane....like a big trainer.

If you are intrested I will look up and see what I have stuck in it....but with the march of time I would be there are much better systems now then in 2009.

[​IMG]

3. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    Sure, if it's no trouble. Whatever info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!
  4. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Horizon is having a blowout - $65 shipped on Amazon for the UMX Stryker, and UMX GeeBee (AKA Choad plane).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just ordered a choad myself!!
  5. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    any companies make large scale kits of drones. I would love to buzz a drone around the area and freak people out. I know on some of the larger models i have see its are hard to tell how big they are from a distance and after watching for a minute realizing its a RC plane
  6. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That mini Stryker looks awesome. I can't wait for mine to arrive. :)
  7. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is at least one MQ-9 Reaper kit out there.
  8. Saget

Oddometer:
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower vert stab needs to be longer, and needs a rollerblade wheel at the tip. :D
  10. Pottz

Pottz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone - fixed....a wire had come loose (badly soldered)...my apprentice sparky son fixed it in two minutes flat...however disassembly and re-assembly took a whole lot longer!!!
  11. Pottz

Pottz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did find the antenna too....it was in the tracks of all places...!!! So all is fixed now after re-soldering a connection from the battery - thanks for your help - cheers
  12. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    My wife brought me on a birthday shopping spree on Saturday morning - I came home with the new double brushless MCPX!!

[​IMG]

It's pretty damn amazing right out of the box!! Flew today in 20-30mph wind and handled it like a champ. Love it, and love my wife :D
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry it took a little while but here is what is in the P-39

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3727

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7638

they don't make the motor anylonger, but it was a 40 equilvent motor....next time it is down I will pop off the prop and unscrew the cowl and shoot a pic....I really can't remember what it was.
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good deal....enjoy the tank. I have had mine for about a year or so now. While it does not get used every day it has held up quite well.

Mine has the plastic tracks and they had finally streached to the point where I had to remove one of the links....she is good to go now.
  15. biggziff

Oddometer:

We'll expect a video like this by Weds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MHrYinuuyAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Saget

Oddometer:

Thanks for taking the time to do that, that gives me a good comparison point. But don't go tearing into it on my account. I just placed another order from Hobby King to get the Corsair flying. For about the price of an E-Flite Power 60, I got a bigger NTM Prop-Drive motor, 100 amp ESC, 4S 5800 mah battery, a prop, and shipping!! If anyone asks me why I've become somewhat anti-Horizon Hobby, there ya go. There's more, but since no one asked I won't rant. :wink:

Just looking forward to getting that bird in the air! If I'm happy with this stuff, I'll order the same setup for the Extra 300.
  17. biggziff

Oddometer:

I hope Hobby King is getting back on track. My last 2 orders haven't even shipped and it's been nearly 2 weeks. Chinese New Year they said...although the first order was a week before the holiday....

Patience is not one of my few virtues.
  18. Saget

Oddometer:
    Fortunately they had everything I wanted in the US warehouse. I should have it by the end of the week. But I know what you mean, I've never had an order take unreasonably long from them, but I've heard lots of people say they have.
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always....always check the US location first.

I noticed while looking the other day they had the little Spad on sale for like $60....I also noticed they had pioneer on sale...i would say stay away from that plane....I had great hopes for it but I could not get it to fly worth crap....finally on the last crash I decided to trash it....still have not pulled the good stuff out yet, but it has left me a little wearry on their other planes. I have had mixed luck with their f9f Panther, It is a great plane when it flys, but it is built to a price point....first one lost a fan in mid flight....then it never really flew quite right after that. Second one had a bad servo right out of the box....I know we are talking sub $100 planes here so that is why I can give them a pass.....but these are not their planes, they are made by skyangel and only sold by them....the Pioneer is the first "hobby king" plane I have had and not impressed would be an understatement.
    If their P26 ever goes on sale I will give that a try, or the Sky Raider I love that one as well.....they also have a nice 310 that I like, but not for full price.

I did buy a Banana Hobby Panther a few weeks ago, I have not got to fly it yet....just too darn windy, for the last week we have had 20+mph winds....with at times over 40mph.....now a big snow storm is coming......I hate winter.

For all the bad press you read about Banana I have yet to have one single problem from them....I have bought 6 FMS planes from them....and I really like the FMS brand.....so far I have gotten just what I have ordered.

And I agree with what you say about Horizon I think they are killing the hobby....or fueling HK one of the two. But they do it to themself. Not long ago....well 6 months...my wife got me a gift card to the LHS (read horizon hobby outlet) I decided I really wanted a Tamiya Sand Scorcher Re-Re....so I checked on line with Tower and then with Tamiya itself to get an idea of the price. Went to order and they said it would be $600....ahhh NO. Tamiya has the rough rider for $199 on sale and Tower has the sand scorcher for 299 with a 50 off and free shipping. I did not buy and just ordered both online.

I try...really try to support the LHS as much as I can....I do see a value there, but I am not going to get screwed that bad on something. Now if horizon comes out with something that I really want....the PZ Albatros is one, I will buy from them, but on other stuff not so much.....I still have about a 150 credit there....last thing I bought was some paint for the exhaust on the Sand Scorcher.

I remember seeing that in the early 80's and wanted one so bad.....now that I am 47 and not 17 I can afford to get one. I want to pick up one of their cc01 bronco's and tig weld up a trailer to haul the bug on....now that will be cool.
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem, with the battery I slowly worked up the flight times....now I like scale so I do not rocket around the sky, but I want power incase I do something stupid....but with what I have in there I have flight times of 7 minutes and am pretty happy with that.....the plane is not too scale it has a large constant chord wing and makes it really a big trainer and not a warbird...but it sure looks good in the sky.

I also have Alfa's little P39 and that thing is a great plane....wish someone in the states carried them....Hobby-lobby did at one time (online hobby store not the art and craft place) now you have to order online. Many say they have great experences with them, but the site is so web 1.0 I am a little weary.