Me, the great southwest, for maybe a week - Advice welcome

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nhbubba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    As much water as I can carry. Got it.
  2. moosehog

moosehog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you mean "wicked sawh-lid"? :D
  3. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I translated for him.
  4. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    The weather is looking good for you. Lake Isabella and Ponderosa are forecasting 70s-80s all week. Lemon Cove at the entrance to Sequoia NP is the same, maybe reaching 90. Now here's the rub: Yosemite is forecasting rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. Man, that is really unlikely, given the season and the other local weather. Thursday is 72 and clear. Man, that just might be insanely perfect weather in there. Mammoth Airport is going to be 65-70 at the end of the week. That will probably be your coldest morning of the trip. The 50 miles or so down to Bishop will be chilly. Bishop is forecasting 80s and it'll be that warm all the way down 395.

Death Valley? Stovepipe Wells is reporting 103 right now (9:00 PM local time). They got to 108 today. Their forecasting is all screwed up so don't believe the temps.
  5. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I'll take whatever weather I get. Just the opportunity to ride it and see it. I'm pumped.

35-40-F lows are going to suck with my summer weight gloves. I think I'll pack some rubber mechanics gloves to cut the wind. May require a coffee stop or three to get me through.

Experimenting with spotwalla and a free phone app called bubbler gps.
  6. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I'd bring the winter gloves unless you're trying to live out of a tank bag. I usually bring both pairs if I'm going to be at elevation out there. I hate cold fingers.

There are no coffee shops where you're going. The western US, despite big cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco, is very sparsely populated. You leave Ridgecrest and you won't pass a gas station until you almost get into Lake Isabella. After leaving Kernville at the north end of the lake, there isn't a place to use money until Ponderosa and that's pretty limited. After that, nothing until Lemon Cove. You're going to be freakin' alone out there.

As for the phone/GPS? It's not going to work unless the basemaps are pre-loaded to the device. Even if you have GPS reception, it won't have phone reception to pull in the maps. Standing on Moro Rock, you can SEE Visalia but, have absolutely zero phone reception. There are no towers out there.

You'll have reception in the towns. That's it. Just warning you in advance so you don't spend a bunch of money or effort on remote connections.
  7. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I understand. I have a dedicated Garmin GPS with recent maps in my bag. The phone thing is a bonus if/when it works. If it doesn't.. no harm, no foul. I might spring for the paid version that stores data when offline.

The coffee bit was a snip. Although I did not realize there was that little up there. I'll keep that in mind regarding fuel too.

You're right. I'll toss the water proof fall/spring gloves in the mix.
  8. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Gotcha'. I wasn't sure and didn't want you thinking that it's like the east coast. People are often surprised by how far you can go out here with no services of any kind.

Death Valley for instance: Lone Pine on 395 is your service for 50 miles (gas, soda, etc)--that's Panamint Springs. After that, another 30 miles to Stovepipe Wells. Furnace Creek--28 miles. Then they get longer: Shoshone is 73 miles and Baker is 53 after that.

The Garmin maps that you have should be fine. I still run a GPS III+ with 2000 basemaps. Nothing on your route has changed in that time.
  9. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I figured the longer hops between services are marked as such. I can't be the first idiot to wander through there. The only catch will be my lack of familiarity with the bike. My 'strom can do 300 miles between fillups. I do not imagine my rental will have that kind of range. Just something I need to remember.

Is it Tuesday yet?
  10. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Uhh...I wouldn't count on those sign markings. There is at least one state highway I know of with a THIRTEEN percent grade. In fact, you'll be going right past it in Kernville (Hwy 155). There is no warning on that road until you reach the summit and start the descent. My motorhome could not physically climb that grade and I'm not sure the brakes could stop it going down. I was angry when I found it because there is no warning anywhere, until you start down, then it's too late. The road is seriously deadly and it's a state highway with no warnings at either end!

As for gas stops, they don't know where you're going or which route. You might be up in the Sierras and the nearest gas is only 15 miles away, "down the mountain." But you're following your ride route "along the mountain" and there ain't nothin' out there.

Or Death Valley: there are countless stories of people getting routed the wrong way by their GPS and getting stranded or dying.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/30/3362727/death-by-gps-in-desert.html
    http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/137646147/the-gps-a-fatally-misleading-travel-companion
    Etc.

If you didn't know in advance that Furnace Creek was your last reliable gas, you could get yourself in trouble. I think the Chevron in Shoshone is now 24 hour and Furnace Creek and Stovepipe are also. As recently as ten years ago, those pumps closed at 7:00 PM and you could be stuck out there. The stores certainly close. Furnace Creek will be on partial shut-down for the summer. I don't want to beat it to death but, it's easier to know that you're aware. :D

BTW: Stovepipe Wells is forecasting a high of 76 today. The problem is that it's already 92 (11:30 AM) and climbing. No idea what's wrong with the forecasting on their weather station.
  11. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    Well.. I'll try not to be that guy. I do have hard maps of my route. I have posted it here. Most of it was from your suggestions. I'll also be navigating from way-point to way-point. I think I got this. .. But then I'm sure they all say that.

My now ex-wife bought a brand new Prius back some years ago when we were first dating. Somehow she got talked into buying the GPS and all the fixings for it, even the "tire protection" jibber jabber. We took it cross country that summer. I had a gas guzzling 4WD pickup at the time and wasn't excited about laying that kind of miles on it, so I did not argue. I couldn't manage that much time off and so her mother flew into Salt Lake City and did the return leg in my place. The GPS had three options; fastest, most direct, and 'alternate'. One day they chose poorly between fastest and most direct. I can't remember which. But the route wound up being slightly better than a single lane jeep trail up over some pass in the middle of nowhere. Neither of those two could identify the business end of a lug wrench. Yet somehow the two women made it okay. ... And then for some reason I married her.
  12. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Man, you seriously have the worst luck. I just looked North and can't even SEE the Sierras. I hope you're not too cold. This weather is so freakish that it's RAINING in Death Valley right now. You've got a chance of thunderstorms in Oakhurst. Sorry...really...the forecast for the entire rest of the week is going to be 90+. Dumb luck. I hope it turns out to be dry for the whole route.
  13. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    This is not the worst luck. There are far worse things possible.

Yeep, got some rain today. Couple sprinkles in the am. And it was cold enough for 2 wool shirts. But things didn't get real gloomy until up at altitude in sequoia midday and on. Wait until you see my photos of gen shurman! Didn't even bother hiking moro rock. I did hike dome rock. Good call there. It was somewhat clear at that altitude.

Roads are epic. Rental is a tiger 800. It rips.

Lake isabella to oakhurst today without even laying eyes on an interstate. I am wiped.

Life is good. Damned good.
  14. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you did the miles up from 180 to Oakhurst, past Tollhouse, Bass Lake, etc, you should be damn tired! That's a lot of turns. :lol3

That Sherman Tree is mind blowing, isn't it?

Tomorrow is a short mileage day. Glacier point, Washburn point and the valley floor are your big draws for the day. Once you're done on the valley floor, it's fairly quick to get over the pass and down to Mammoth Lakes (couple of hours). The eastern side of the Sierra IS scenic so, enjoy that. If you have an extra time on the way south to Mammoth, the June Lakes loop adds some miles but, poops you back out on 395 again. It's a really pretty drive through there. I doubt you'll have time but, just in case.

Ride safe and looking forward to the ride report. :thumb
  15. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    June lake is queued in the gps and will likely happen. Mono lake too.

Not even 6am and I'm already up. Pumped!
  16. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself but, this really is freak weather. If today is gloomy and cloudy and you enjoy Yosemite, this is an option:

Blow off Death Valley. Return through Yosemite after Mammoth Lakes. See it all again. The weather forecast for TOMORROW is supposed to be sunny and 70-80s.

Oakhurst back to Oceanside is 345 miles (5 hours). It's mostly rural interstate after Fresno. Not as scenic as Death Valley but, it will give you a second day in Yosemite. Not the worst way to spend a day. In case the weather turned out really bad for you, this is what the valley looks like on a good day. By the time you read this, you'll remember this corner:

[​IMG]

Yeah, you're going through Los Angeles but, if you plan to be back to Oakhurst about 4:00 PM, you'd hit the very start of Los Angeles at 8:00 PM--after the traffic window. 1 to 1.5 hours of LA freeway and you're in Oceanside at 9:00 PM.

It's 78 and raining in Death Valley right now. Man, you have the luck. The hottest, driest place in North America and you're dancing with thunderstorms! :lol3

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are no reliable weather forecasts for Death Valley itself. Stovepipe Wells has the only weather station and their forecasting is all screwed up (says it's going to be 62 today, even though it's already 78!).

Other weather reports for the park are based on nearby deserts but, not in the park. They're all forecasting high 80s and patchy clouds tomorrow. That may make for some outstanding pictures and at least the weather won't be too hot. Another good option.

So you actually have two good choices for tomorrow. By the time you read this, Yosemite will be in the bag. I hope it delivered for you.
  17. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    It delivered huge. Weather was great. Slight panik when I arrived at the turnoff for the pass and there was an enormous sign saying CLOSED! Turns out it had just reopened (just for me).

Yosemite is crazy. Tioga pass is even more nuts though. Oh man! This is livin'.

All went to plan. Flurries up in the pass, but nothing sticking. Rain @ june lake and some squirrelly tires, but we handled it. I must have pulled over to layer up or down 500 times today. Only problem to report is they want $5/gal for regular in Lee Vining. :eek1 I coasted into mammoth and will pay their resort prices instead.

Occurred to me today that I have not oiled the chain on this thing. I should probably do that.

Death valley tomorrow come hell or ... dare I say it ... high water.
  18. nhbubba

Oddometer:
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's fuel in DV 2 weeks ago
    [​IMG]

At the intersection of 395 & 136(Lone Pine), your most likely turn-off for DV, there is a very informative visitor center. Take a moment and check it out.

I've been enjoying tagging along! Best to you on the continued travels.
  20. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    That just ain't right!

Reason #985 it pays to be on two wheels. Although this tiger 800 is a thirsty girl.