Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I googled it, and watched a video, where pedestrians and even a couple of motorcycles were using it. Very cool, and a great solution.
  2. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a nice solution if not for the cost. That cannot be cheap enough to be something that becomes more than a novelty.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are lots of places in this country where we have wasted more money on less useful infrastructure than this. :deal

See also, http://www.wvcorridorh.com/ :cry
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  5. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    New car smell is not the odor that immediately comes to mind after reading that story... :topes
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yabbut, you gotta climb that fucking hill to get on it. No way I'd make it up that thing.
  7. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    If you had only moved all the way over into the oncoming lane to pass, it wouldn't have been an issue. Nobody was coming, so there was no reason for you not to do it. But rather than focus on behavior over which you have absolute control, you want to focus on the behavior of the other person.
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I guess I had to expect getting passed in more unsafe spots 'cause its Sun. 2:37 and 4-5 people going around me into oncoming traffic or over the crests of hills.

One was 1/4mi away from a church! Guess he wanted all of us to meet our makers just that little bit earlier. :norton Good thing the old guy in the Caddy still had decent reflexes! :phew

M
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles? Or mopeds? Mopeds are bicycle with small (very small) motors on them - usually driving a rubber wheel bearing on the tyres surface.
  10. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I guess they are scooters of some type. Bigger than mopeds it seems.
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LwyV9o5ILF0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  11. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yep.. headlights on some look big.

I not that some of the bicycles don't look to have lights .. in the evening.. not good ... maybe it is a local thing? Or maybe they are saving their batteries for the dangerous bits.
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I strongly suspect the snowplow driver was incredulous he passed 3 nutcase cyclists out in the 'biggest snowstorm EVAR!' last nite

M
  13. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy is quite the piece of work…

full story here;
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ny-lawmaker-no-bicycles
  14. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    He's probably correct though - sooner or later, everyone gets hit but, that's no reason to tell them to stop that particular activity or lessen the efforts to make the streets safer to everyone.

Apply his logic to cars - we're still building them and we're still paving streets.
  15. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Barraga must be an idiot. It is this type of small minded thinking that should get him canned at the next election.
  16. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    In the Netherlands, 50cc scooters often use the cycling lanes. They are well behaved. Larger motorcycles that can keep up with traffic use the roadways. I've taken my Brompton folding bike over there and have used Dutch bikes, and it's a very enjoyable experience. The mixed use is no problem, because everyone follows the rules.

Here in the Seattle area, we could get some of this benefit by letting scooters use dedicated trails like the Burke-Gilman, the I-90 trail, etc. We'd have to act like the Dutch and enforce speed limits for all 2-wheeled vehicles to 15 mph, because it's not the mix of vehicles that's dangerous, it's the mix of speeds. Eventually we should build dedicated trails for low-speed two-wheeled vehicles.

I'd like to see the Iron Horse state-wide rail-trail opened up to motorcycles and ATVs with the same 15 mph speed limit.
  17. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    "The mixed use is no problem because everyone follows the rules". The problem is when they don't. Never happen in the land of "it's all about me".

I will always have a problem with asshats that purposely obstruct traffic by going 3mph, in a pack, occupying the entire lane on a road with a posted 55 mph speed limit when there are clearly marked bike lanes, and alternative LSV routes.

I'm not going to run over anyone. I followed a small group of 8 last weekend on a narrow 2 lane road for over a mile before they moved over to let me pass. The problem is the guy 9 cars back who is an even worse asshat that decides to pass 8 cars and a pack of bike riders that are in the way.

I have the same problem with Granny Bluehair, Soccer Mom, Stupid texting teens, claptrap cars, and the seats leaned all the way back, one eyeball over the dash ass that thinks it cool to profile down the road at 10mph so you can have the time to fully appreciate his 150 decibel sound system blast out obscenities.
  18. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    Saw this on another thread. I don't know what the guy on the bike was so pissed about?

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kCv4UZHkAdo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone else mentioned this set up as something they do in Europe(?). If you notice, there is a line at traffic lights for cars(where the car stopped at the site of the altercation) and then there is a line up front for bicyclists to stop at(along with a bicycle symbol). The guy in the car was in the wrong for encroaching into the bicycle area.
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would end badly.
    There are sections of rail-trail here for walking and biking that are so torn up from quads that you can't use them.

No enforcement, no one cares except the ones who want to use the trails the way they were meant to be used.