Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. CatfishRacing

CatfishRacing Just a rider.

Oddometer:
    I ordered from Action LED yesterday and FedEx says it should be here tomorrow.
    Spent a little more but I'm OK with that.
  2. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so, if you have the cheap ebay magicshine /clone/ lamp (NOT the 'real' magicshine), and you get the actionLED spreader lens, as action tells you, the lens on the clone lamp is thicker than the spreader lens. I hit up the hardware store and poked around at o-rings. I found a 1-9/16ths" OD 3/32" thick O-ring is the right outside diameter exactly, but its about 1/32nd too thick. I think the perfect o-ring to replace the one on the clone lamp would be 1-9/16ths OD and 1/16th thick, or 39mm OD and 1.5mm thick. o-rings are often sold by their ID, so that would be 1-7/16" or 36mm.

your mileage may vary. the spreader lens looks awesome in my livingroom, the beam is nice and wide now.
  3. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    I picked up that spreader, so I'll keep an eye out for the right o-ring. My light is still somewhere in China.

Thanks for doing the legwork. :D
  4. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    I got a fat bike!
    I got a fat bike!
    My wife rocks!!!!!
    My wife picked up a 12' (last years) mukluk for me for my 40th.... WOOHOO!:clap

Picks to follow after I pick it up tomorrow.
  5. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You suck.

My wife bought me a GPS and a nice bottle of Scotch for my 40th:lol3
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so I took it outside on the low setting instead of high. it just rained, and its nice and dark in my back yard, stars were coming out behind the storm clouds.

on low with the spreader lens, this thing is awesome. it lit the whole couple acre field standing in a corner of it, and the trees beyond. the spread beam is at least 30 degrees wide, maybe more like 45, and the bright area is quite narrow top to bottom. the spill circle around the bright area is actually as bright as most of my other lights spots. I think even on low, you would either want to aim this thing way down, or have a not-so-bright 2nd lamp or blinkies for riding in urban traffic. but, out on a dark road or trail, its freekin awesome.

frankly, I wish it had an even dimmer mode, and maybe a fast strobe, the blink mode it has is full brightness ON OFF ON OFF about twice/second.

its been on low for 1/2 hour now and its just warm. on high, it was almost too hot to touch. I bet I get 5-6 hours at least on low. serious commuters, travelers light.

2:15 on low and its still green. and still just warm, not hot.

ah, at 2:39, its finally turned blue some time in the last few minutes (it was still green 5 minutes ago)
    and coming up on 4 hours, its STILL blue.

at 4:48 it blinked and went red. its midnigth (I started this at 7pm), not sure I wanna wait around fo rhte 2nd round of blink when the red starts to blink, thats probably ANOTHER 4 hours. hahahahahahaha.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Getting better at spinning and figuring out what gears to change up/ down to to maintain my cadence. Did my 30 mile ride in 2:09 yesterday for a 2nd best ever time and average speed. Took 2:34 the last time I rode when I just didn't have the legs, lungs or willpower.

Starting to suck at mashing though..... :lol3
  8. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    your bicycle will appreciate that. mashing is not only hell on your knees, its murder on the chain, sprockets, and the whole bike.
  9. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I love torque riding. Slow speed heavy pedaling. What I assume you call mashing.

Maybe that is why my knee hurts on occasion.
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Waah! Cry me a river!

M
    who doesn't have either a loving wife OR a fatbike :bluduh
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Good. Mashing sucks.

Spin to win bay-bee!

I'm fixin to head over to a buddy's here in a bit to do a cross workout. 2 x 3-lap 'races.' Its his 3rd day in a row going hard and my 2nd. We'll see who 'wins the workout.' :rolleyes

M
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    No fatbike. Live with a GF, but, not sure if I'd classify her as loving. :confused
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Dude - send us her email - we'll ask her opinion on your behalf. :lol3
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    She's, self-admittedly, less than stellar at emotions. Those who know her say the same. :deal

And, they say I'm a bit :loco, for sticking around. But, this isn't a relationship thread, so..........:lol3
  15. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Well, I wish you the best. I was married for 13 years and spent 12 of them asking myself the same damn question. My second wife, a hot Brazilian, is the best thing that ever happened to me. She's a rare find of sexuality, brains, single-minded determination to improve herself professionally, volunteers a ton of hours at CASA to advocate for three kids in foster care and possesses a type-A personality with an iron hand wrapped in a velvet glove.

The next 3 days are some of the most important days over the last year and where were her thoughts this morning? She called me at work just before she left home to tell me that she missed me. I'm a lucky man.

To get this back on track - she also supports my hobbies and has never once, complained about cycling and the costs of my brevets.
  16. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Okay, the big reveal. Here is my brand-spankin-new NUE series weapon of choice! :evil

[​IMG]

This is one of the primary reasons I opted for the Lefty PBR. Pop that blue button and the fork goes rigid for climbing; slam the red crown and she's right back in the mix of soaking up 90mm of rough stuff. :deal

[​IMG]
  17. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    yer fooked. Shoulda gotten the Scalpel. Send me that hoopty and I'll put you out of your misery. :augie (just kidding. Nice bike!)

My light just came in.

Box:
    [​IMG]

Pretty durn small. :confused
    [​IMG]

Battery: new vs old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek1 Man has battery technology come a long freaking way! (course that lead acid was a replacement for some C/D cell NiCads for longer run times. Its a 4ah battery)

Light + battery
    [​IMG]

Orange Peel on the reflector
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finned for cooling. Seems solid enough. We'll see. For $40 shipped from China, I'll take a chance.

M
  18. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Damn... knew I should have struck that deal with old scratch while I was in the store. :cry
  19. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine got a lefty about a month ago, and he loves his! He used to do some semi-pro MTB races, but switched to street riding about 2 years ago. He got to the point were he really missed the trails, so bought a new bike and signed up for a couple of local races later this winter. To me, they look to be the same bike, except his is a dark gray color instead of mostly white.
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'd plan on using it on low 99% of the time, it doesn't get nearly as hot, and its plenty, WAY plenty, bright enough to piss off anyone you accidentally get in the spot. as I said, on low, with the Action spreader lens, it lights up my couple acre field and all the trees beyond it :)