Tennessee Plates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 8trackmind, Jun 19, 2012.

1. andrewsclues

andrewsclues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your hard work.... nice pics and bitchin' ride report. I've been to your beautiful state in 2008, i hope to be back sometime soon.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Gotta have the funk

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hope you make it back. Much to see here. Most of the state is nice, I live in the flat and/or straight road area on the boring end TN. Don't come here! :lol3
    This ride report if proof that even though I live in TN, I still have to venture a ways to see the good stuff too.
  3. rgp332

rgp332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job on the RR, like the way you show the routes . I'm up in Missouri ,but I have made it down to Mt Magazine in Ark.
    Look forward to getting back in Ark and doing some more exploring.
    I ride a wee also,its amazing how much the wally world seat pad helps.LOL
    Keep up the good reports, :clap
  4. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. I haven't been to Mt. Magazine area yet. I've done 7 up from Hot Springs (Ozark National Forrest) but I tend to haunt the east side of the state. ('cause it's close)
    Here's a photo from Hwy 5 I think. I love riding over there.
    [​IMG]

Aye, that cheap seat pad adds at least 150 extra miles of comfort to the day. :lol3
  5. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Nathan Beford Forrest State Park, Eva, TN

Less words...more photos.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, this'll do.
    [​IMG]

So far so good...
    [​IMG]

Commence Circus Deployment!
    [​IMG]

My camping helpers Left to right:
    Camera case, Chair, Cooler, Sleeping bag, Pillow, Tarp, Tarp Pole, Tent Footprint, Tent, Mollie bag.
    [​IMG]

...and the mammoth super jumbo Thermarest. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Just in case the sleeping pad fails, I brought this. (which I did not drink because it's against the rules...like speeding)
    [​IMG]

'M 'R Ducks
    (I just tricked you into sounding like a local) :wink:
    [​IMG]

All set up.
    [​IMG]

Time to build a fire and relax.
    [​IMG]

...In my chair.
    [​IMG]

Blurry long range critter shot.
    [​IMG]

Sun's getting low...More stuff to do before it gets dark.
    [​IMG]

Starting dinner.
    [​IMG]

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice. Not bad at all.
    [​IMG]

My version of the camp lantern.
    [​IMG]

Gotta have a fire... It was in the high thirties. Time for bed....Zzzzzzz
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning:
    Breakfast and coffee all prepared on my tiny Barbie cook set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camp food tastes better. This thing was awesome...even with the pre-cooked turkey sausage I used.
    [​IMG]

Started raining, so I changed the tarp up a little bit.
    [​IMG]

Got the bike under there too.
    [​IMG]

Boat Dog.
    [​IMG]

Shoreline
    [​IMG]

Sunday:
    Wicked windy this morning, and since I took so many photos the last two days, the camera only came out once.
    Headed home. Went I-40 to beat the rain. It started a couple hours after I made it home.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to go back, Beautiful area!
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, did you camera get into the Crown? Just suspecting because of the blurry pics posted - cameras don't have a second eye to close in order to see straight. :D

:roflToo funny, Jeff!

So, the weather folks kept telling us there wasn't supposed to be rain for Saturday. That morning, it was on the radar, and a they were spouting, can't be! The air is so dry!. :deal

Looks like nice set-up you had there.
  7. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the blurry pics were taken stone sober.
    The Crown photo magically appeared on my camera. I didn't take it.

The rain was freaky. I was looking at the NOAA site during the rain. Right after it stopped, they changed the forecast to "chance of sprinkles"...
    Forecast still means "before" right? :rofl
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you down-size your tent? I've been looking at some on-line.
  9. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Yes I did. Tents are like wives, bikes, tires and oil, so I know better than recommend anything, but...my new one helped meet a few criteria that I felt was worth the outlay. It also freed up some room for the tarp. (Which I can't recommend enough)

You got it narrowed down any, or are you still at the "trying to talk myself into it...no, out of it...yes/no/maybe" stage. :lol3
  10. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the reasons to get a tent are on me. Just found out there is an REI store in Brentwood, and will have to see some of this stuff in person.

As far as narrowing-down the choice, yeah. There are probably 5-10 on the list. 1st consideration is the size of the rolled-up tent and poles. I'm seeing 15-16 inch lengths which are really what is needed. Did I read correctly that the aluminum poles are better?

After noticing you had a tarp, I began to look for those as well. Definitly want a nylon version.

Just like someone standing on the edge of a pool wondering if the water is cold, I just need the push.
  11. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Yeah, AL poles are what you want.

Here's a push: To me, motocamping its like the ride doesn't really stop when you stop.
    Everything is still dependent on the bike. You're with the bike, you're still outside, it sort of becomes an extension of the ride itself. You have other challenges, but most of them center around the fact that you're attempting to do all this off the motorcycle. It really is like one big ride start to finish
  12. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming the alum poles. :thumb

My gear collection is starting from scratch. I'm pretty sure there are must-have items at the top of the list. As those become acquired, I'll keep trial fitting into the bags and box.
  13. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Acquiring camping gear is a classic catch 22. Once you get out and camp a few times off the bike, you'll pretty much know exactly what you need/want/can get away with. Problem is, you have to have gear to find that out. :lol3

My (unsolicited) advise: Get the most awesome sleeping pad or air mattress you can afford. Drop two bills if you have to, but get something you're sure you can live with, sleep on, and pack. A couple brand names come up on this site disproportionally often, so I wont beat that dead horse.

Sure, the tent and sleeping bag matter, but being motorcyclists, we already bring warm gear and rain clothes anyway. If things truly get ugly, anything that keeps us warm and dry at 70 mph should work great in a cold, cheap, leaky tent at 0 mph. :rofl
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it! :D

Sleep in riding gear, that's brilliant Jeff! Works for the tree watering in the middle of the night, and propagates the motorcycle adventure. :lol3

I'm now going to visit the REI store this weekend. :evil
  15. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    You know how cold it was Friday night...I had a 40 degree bag.
    My Firstgear riding pants worked great. My Joe Rocket jacket became "Joe Comforter" that night. :lol3
  16. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.... I might have to make and extension cord for the electric jacket liner! :hmmmmm
  17. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Gonna be warm this weekend, anybody headed out to get their "camp" on in this neck of the 'hood?
  18. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Impressed with the new campground reservation system. Complete with (somewhat distorted) wide-angle site pics. :thumb
  19. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
  20. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Riding to Paris TN in the early AM. Pork loin sammitch at Trollingers on the east side of town. PM me if you want to attempt some paved local two lane.:wink: