KTM 950/990 in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by been saved, May 12, 2009.

1. been saved

been saved Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All

Well this is a pretty odd request but, as they say "nothing ventured nothing gained."

My wife and I have been looking at getting a BMW F800GS for two up riding, fireroads, Tail of the dragon, etc etc etc. We rode the 1100, 1150, and 800 and both my wife and I really enjoyed the 800 for its versatility, suspension, and pillion comfort.

BUT the dang things are expensive!!!!! and the used market is not exactly chock full of them yet.

SO we are debating picking up a 950 for about 2/3 the cost of the BMW, HOWEVER since the main purpose of the bike is two up day or multi day trips it MUST be comfortable for her, and the more buy-in from the wife the more riding we do. She was COMPLETELY against the liter+ pillion ergonomics, and has no use for a bike that cannot comfortably go WHEREVER we want to go.

Unlike BMW, KTM does not make it 'easy' to test ride their scoots, at least not in atlanta.

SO here is the rub, does anybody in Atlanta have access to a 950/990 that we can check out so that I can get wifeys buy in. I hate to make comfort decisions under pressure in front of an fellow who is trying to sell a scooter....

What say you fellow whinos?

Been Saved
  2. e.t.

e.t. Mayor Of Oblivion

Oddometer:
    What type of riding do you want to do, how many miles a day, how big is your wife, how many miles have you ridden two up in a day? I don't see the 950 as a two up all day machine. Unless the wife is 105 lbs, and if that is the case, put up some pics. I have an 06 950. I don't see it as a two up ride, neither does my ol' lady, she's never been on it .

The adventure bikes are not built for passenger in mind, while there may be some comfort advantages over one bike compared to another, I see no clear winner in the passenger category.
  3. e.t.

e.t. Mayor Of Oblivion

Oddometer:
    What type of riding do you want to do, how many miles a day, how big is your wife, how many miles have you ridden two up in a day? I don't see the 950 as a two up all day machine. Unless the wife is 105 lbs, and if that is the case, put up some pics. I have an 06 950. I don't see it as a two up ride, neither does my ol' lady, she's never been on it .

The adventure bikes are not built for passenger in mind, while there may be some comfort advantages over one bike compared to another, I see no clear winner in the passenger category.
  4. northsoutheastwest

northsoutheastwest Alaskaless....for now.

Oddometer:
    Go to Pro Moto Sports in Woodstock and test ride their 990. It is super easy. You bring a helmet, gloves, sign a form and off you go.

Bring your checkbook though....you're gonna want it:rofl
  5. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    A big +1. They have a both a used 950 and 990 they'll let you test. You shouldn't have any problems.
  6. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:

+1
  7. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Be warned, that's how I ended up with one myself. :ricky

8. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    A vStrom is one of the most comfortable pillion bikes made, and some people use them on gravel.
  9. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may not be for you, but Capitol Cycle in Macon GA has an 08' 990 that they'll let you ride. The owner of the dealership has been riding it around a bit. They offered to let me take it for a spin last weekend, but I was in my post Easter wardrobe (flip-flops, shorts, t-shirt). If I remember correctly, you can get it for $13,000 out the door, Not sure if that's a good or not, but at least you can ride it.
  10. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    I can't help you with a bike...

But...

My wife seems to have the same sentiment as yours. I had a GS ADV and a KTM 950 ADV. She rode on the back of both and said that she liked the KTM with the stock seat better than the GS or even my harley. She just liked the upright seating position and I bet it's pretty close to the 800.

Just food for thought. She's 5'7" size 8.
  11. been saved

been saved Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks MUCH

Size and all the typical stuff do not really apply to us, we are in shape and she will ride on the back of a wr250 all day if that is all we have. (She is a GREAT Wife). The main concern is to have time together, of course that being said she is not a fan of the big GS so we are being a little picky :lol3 . I thought VERY hard about the Vstrom but it is to limiting for what we like to do and the ground clearance is lacking, at least for me. We will DEFF go to Pro Moto Sports in Woodstock, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. We have been riding together for years (She will do a multi day trip on the back of the DR650, but WOW is it followed by a sore rear end) and when we rode that GS800 she was sold, I like the bike but it is still SOOOO expensive considering the lack of USED stock. I would hate to drop it against a tree two up...........Ktm plastics have become acceptable to find on fleabay

We will check it out and let you know what we do.

Been Saved
  12. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Sent you an email.