Southern Maryland Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by EOD3MC, Mar 15, 2012.

1. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought BMW owned them now?
  2. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Imagine a German marrying a Swede. Hmmm:D
  3. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So two 6'-5"+ blondes, blue eyes, and weird fetishes....what are you getting at?
  4. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effing love Husqvarna! Here's mine :D
    [​IMG]
  5. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    My party planner just got home from work to remind me that we have a Christmas party to attend tomorrow evening. No road trip for me. bummer.
  6. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    I guess the real question is: would these be good for a dirt-n00b?
    I'm looking to make my f a more dual-sport bike. So I figure I need to start from the ground up, literally. Tires then suspension, then???
    In poking around I'm mostly finding 90/10's but the Heidenau k60's are described as a 50/50. Honestly, I will not use that bike 50% of the time on dirt but I want something that will help me learn.

Hey Dana, I apparently do not know how to read a calender... Tomorrow, (Sat) I will move the trough to my store's storage garage and keep it there. I roll in late on Saturdays, 11:00am.
  7. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used up a set of Heidi's. At first I didn't like them because in wet conditions they are very sketchy. The rear end gets loose if you hit the throttle, and I had the front end start to tuck on me once or twice as well. Not 'go down' bad, but enough to scare the shit out of me. On dirt/gravel they were a significant improvement over the tourances I was running before. They do suck in the mud. On dry pavement they stuck very well. I was able to corner hard and push out of the corner hard without worry of losing the rear.

End result is that I had to go slower when the conditions were wet (today I understand that's not a bad thing), and they were quite grippy on dry asphalt and hardpack.

If I were to keep my GS I'd go with a K60 rear and a TKC80 front. That combo should last 10k miles of good, hard riding.
  8. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I hate going to grad student parties with my girlfriend.

If any of you want to pose as her brother so I don't have to go, you will be rewarded with free booze and a crack at some uptight brainy hotties. Many of them are smoking hot; and single.. Catch - you will be bored out of your bollocks by anything they have to say.
  9. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Bruce and Dave,

Good luck on the trip... Drive report please. Your SpotWalla comment had me go to the map and it still shows me at my last duck hunting spot. I need to turn mine back on. :D

See you all at eagle bay next weekend.
  10. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Ready to head south...

[​IMG]
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So there is something like 218,238 registered inmates. Let's assume 0.01% are female, and 1% are gay, and 25% are happily (?) married. Did you get 106,914 PMs last night on the offer? :D
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Short answer: I have plans to run them again. TKC front, Heidi rear.

Long answer: They are probably as close to a 50/50 as you will ever get. Realize that you will compromise some of the stickiness of a nice road tire, and some of the true knarliness of a knob, but they will satisfy your requirement.

The biggest complaint I hear about them is the initial procurement cost (which will be around $300-330) for a pair. However, they are truly the only long wearing "knob" tire we've found. I got 12K miles out of my rear, and the front I left when we rode west last summer had a bit more left before it worn out!

After a few sets of experimentation, we do like the TKC on the front. Since you'll be off road, the TKC bites better and usually gives you that extra bit of traction. The TKC front will last about as long as the Heidi rear mileage wise since the TKC is much softer compound (front tires usually 1.5-2X last longer since they carry less weight).

Heidis do double suck in the mud, but I've yet to find any tire that is truly a star in the mud.

I don't run them much nowadays, as I have two sets of rims and no need to compromise on tires. I run my sticky street tires most of the time, then pop those off for my knobs. However, on the trip next fall to St James Bay we will be running the TKC/Heidi combo as 1) the conditions will be groomed gravel and 2) Will last the entire trip without changing

Edit: They have an incredibly stiff sidewall. If you mount your own tires, make sure you have the tire bead grease (or a few gorillas) to help!

No drama. I probably won't be leaving the house until 1300-1400. If you drop me your phone and addy via PM, I will give you a call when I leave? I figure I will be in Bmore around 1530-1600ish?
  13. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    No! :bluduh And what's more, I got texted to come BACK to that lameballs soiree!
  14. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    Dorito, pm sent
  15. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Made it to Greenville, getting some lunch and waiting for the DRZ to show...
  16. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
    I thought we'd have pictures by now.....
  17. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like you guys are moving... what's the deal?
  18. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Deal is done....headed home with the new toy

[​IMG]

Spot batteries died...updating those shortly
  19. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
    nice
  20. EOD3MC