Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. globalklr650

globalklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in gurrero negro on our way around the world on one KLR650. We should meet up.
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    A tourists day.

What a day, being close to the timeline somehow we got mixed up and we set or alarm for 7.00 am for the 8.00 am start of the tour.

Somehow we managed to stuff things up and set our alarm right but did not check the time on the phone thus we got up at 8 for our 8 O’clock tour.... FAIL!!

Anyway, the hotel we were staying at also ran the tour and they too were slightly late so we gobbed some breaky down and took off.

Mum nature delivered us a perfect day (other than bloody cold) for whale watching, on arriving at the lagoon a quick recovery of the delivery ute was in order as this was used to ferry people out to the boat and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That done we set off out to watch these beauties gracefully glide through the water with the occasional playful tail splash and heads bobbing out of the water.

The ship

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent a total of about 3 hours out on the water which was so cool.

You would think it was cold or something

[​IMG]

Part way back is the slat mine, an added bonus with some kickarse big machinery

This truck carries 360 T of salt in one load, I tried looking it up in the KTM accessories catalogue but couldn't find it.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dumping a load of salt :eek1 120T in 5 seconds!!!

[​IMG]

Conveyors

[​IMG]

Sieves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D9R ..... I want one :rofl

[​IMG]

The Salt heap

[​IMG]

Spot the D9R bully on the top

[​IMG]

On returning back to Guerrero Negro we were running late, I was still feeling like crap so we decided to stay another night here and set off in the morning instead.

This also gave us the chance to write up today then we are all but square, Wifi will get harder south so we have to make the most of it when we have it.
  3. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to find the hot dog guy in Santa Rosalia - in the square by the metal church from France.
  4. SkycamNZ

SkycamNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just been checking on some figures.... The SE is good for 98hp... or about the same as the two DR's combined! I can understand why it can make molehills out of mountains! :thumb
  5. Ozgirl61

Ozgirl61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr Ozrockrat and myself were very happy to be able to become a small part of your adventure, we are very happy to have met you both and have you guys stay with us while waiting on the bike, panniers and other adjustments to your trip was sorted. You guys arrived as strangers but left as family, safe travels and we will see you guys elsewhere in the world....:freaky
  6. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    Yay, the pictures are flowing again :thumb

This picture is nice, but, needs more salt :)
  7. SkycamNZ

SkycamNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol! Wonder what the lifespan of the equipment is in that environment? As long as it remains dry, probably not too bad, but if it gets wet, watch a pile of rust develop before your very eyes!
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Everything here is either new or fooked!.....they don't tan here they rust.

Not a very wet place here but enough to invoke the tin worn. :D
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Not an early start as we only had 266 km to cover, well we needed the time as it turned out.

We left Guerrero Negro in stunning weather other than bloody cold again but we rugged up and enjoyed it.

Not even 50 km down the road mum nature got angry with wind and wind gusts that saw us drop to 30 - 40 km/hr at stages and riding far enough over I thought we were gonna get a knee down.

We rode through sandstorm after sandstorm with the road coming alive with swirling sand in an instant then being blown off just as quick, pics never do it justice..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every truck that came past was new mission in learning to stay upright ... kinda fun for a while however with me still sporting my bad flu this soon wore off to a chore.

It really took it out of me reverse counter steering for upwards of 200km and little reprieve, as luck would have it I was thinking I need a break and we came upon a Military checkpoint, still blowing and cold we got off the bike very carefully as I could see Maya going to ground.

After the cars and truck had cleared it was our turn to explain WTF we were doing out in this weather .... but they just waved us on with the gun and big smile so we carried on with a big smile.

The rest of the trip was uneventful other than big winds, on arrival we looked for a Hotel, couldn’t find one at a reasonable price so we got some lunch instead to get a level head and I was stuffed and needed some hot input for energy.

After that we found a half reasonable place out of the town centre with off street parking as a lady said don’t leave you bike in town!!

A walk back into the town to buy supplies and take a look at the church that was designed by the dude who designed the Eiffel Tower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a hugely impressive lace but kinda cool with its historical background.

On the way back from town we spotted this..

[​IMG]

This was the view across the sea of cortez from where we stayed

[​IMG]

This was someone moving house Mexican style.

[​IMG]

Again, Tacos for Tea, Gin for desserts and early to bed after typing this up, 8.17pm ... I am knackered ..... anyone wonna swap a hangover for the flu???
  10. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    The flu should bloody well be gone by now Andy. Just tell it to F.off.
    The Bakery has a reputation of sorts there. Good luck with the coffee
    Hi Ellen.
  11. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Hi Kiwis,

Looks like you seeing some great stuff. We have hit Cancun and got the vehicle we are driving back (otherwise known as the drug mule car :rofl) - hope to see you both soon.

Craig and Sharon.
  12. uberaudi

uberaudi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report! Can't wait to see where the road takes you next!
  13. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice parking job Andy. Are you going to wash it in the pool?
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Hope so, in La Paz tonight after an accidental long day, another seriously windy day.:huh

Keep tabs, looks lie me may cross to mainland around 20th

Thank you, least we are back on teh road now and able to tell more lies :evil

I didn't put it there .... true :D ... and yes the flu ... was not far off going to the doc which I never do, it started going to my chest then backed off so now I only feel like crap instead of death partly warmed up :D
  15. flying kiwi

flying kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool to see you two back on the road and in good spirits, as well as the gin! Lovin the photos of the trucks etc. Reminds me of my time working in South Australia in the open cut coal mines and 50ºC. Maya looks a treat and a far cry from the dirty bitch that came off the truck a few weeks back. Keep the ride reports and the gin flowing. How is Ellen's foot now?
  16. gbacque

gbacque Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

You say pictures don't do it justice but that looks pretty dam windy to me. Wind isn't an easy thing to capture....being clear an all. But those trees and dust show it pretty good.

Glad you guys are back on the road. Loving the RR. :clap
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    We are still strange :D .... just you know us now. :eek1

I have also sent a leg humper application form from Mexico ... you should receive this within the next 2 to 15 months :rofl

Again thank you to you both, you made AZ and more so Phoenix an enjoyable time when we were tried to the max with the new bike etc.

You guys have become a big part of our adventure and we hope we can catch up down south ... sounds like a great plan :clap
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    The day started out in normal style.

Pack up Maya, first trick was to get her back to the top.

[​IMG]

Our plan was to get to Ciudad Constitucion and we made it there in good time by 2.00pm, we decided to carry on to the next town to find there was no accommodation and the wind was fair howling through.

Another 134 km would see us in La Paz so we made a break for it, the wind was an absolute torment making it yet another hard ride and great practice for Patagonia.

We passed some beautiful Cacti gardens of epic proportions

[​IMG]

Beautiful bays full of holiday makers

[​IMG]

A few washouts to content with but all pretty minor

[​IMG]

Cool as twisty roads

[​IMG]

With La Paz in our sights we made it prior dark and found a Hotel, it was a very busy place indeed.

The day we accidentally did,

[​IMG]

Turns out the El Norte winds is what we had encountered over the last few days that had battered us and froze us, I hadn’t worn my puffy jacket since Alaska and certainly didn’t think I would wear it for three consecutive days in Baja!! :rofl
  19. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Hi Kiwis,

Where are you? Still keen to catch up - we will be somewhere on the coast tomorrow between Salina Cruz and Acapulco and after that heading north.

Craig
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    We are in Lo De Marcos Monday and probably Tuesday night bro.