My 950 Refresh or Mission Creep...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sakurama, May 5, 2009.

1. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    just wondering, because a lot of people use a rc8 stack on a efi bike for some extra power.
    and the picture with the fcr's + the velocity stacks look a lot longer than the throttle bodies + rc8 stacks.
    how long is now the intake lenght?.

just compair if it is longer or as long as the throttle bodies + the standard stacks
  2. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    What was the temperature in the video at when you were trying to start?

Mine fairly burst into life at the touch of a button in summer and needs just a little prompting in winter. Certainly not that amount of cranking that you guys were doing!
  3. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    You guys have it all opened up and are playing with the fuses, pop that headlight fuse out and save a little battery life while cranking.
  4. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't terribly cold (50*F?) but we didn't use any accelerator pump at all so the only gas was from the choke. If your bike starts with no AP priming cold I'm amazed. Once my bike is warm it will start with no throttle. I don't know how much it might affect it but my TPS sensor went bad so we left it off.

Sadly I'm waist deep in boxes packing my shop so I just can't put time into it but Chris is going to work on it. My bike is headed over to his side of the shop either today or tomorrow. Man do I hate moving...

Gregor

PS good call about the headlight. Wanted to pull it but I was impatient having spent all day swapping the carbs.
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere
    in a thread
    lost in a sea of posts
    there lies one by k2m
    saying that he solved the starting issue
    by injecting fuel with a syringe
    via permanently installed tubes
    in the carbs, somewhere
  6. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Gregor / Chris,
    that was a little anticlimactic... I feel for you after all that work. A few questions that may provoke some thought:

1. have you played around with different starter jets yet? There's a big range available, and you may just be way too lean yet...
    2. if you open-up the throttle slowly after cranking on choke (trying not to invoke the wrath of the accelerator pump), and peer into the ports with a torch, do you have the desired murky mist hiding down there? If you have, by experience, you're very close to getting the thing to start, and may even be too rich. Try holding the throttle open just by a gnat's chuff. If this results in success, try a smaller starter jet.
    Waiting with bated breath to hear of your success. You are so very close...

Good luck guys.

Cheers... Paul
  7. CosentinoEngineering

CosentinoEngineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >>that was a little anticlimactic

Yes, we were just a little bummed out.

>>f you open-up the throttle slowly after cranking on choke....

Didn't do that but will check next time I try.

>>You guys have it all opened up and are playing with the fuses, pop that headlight fuse out and save a little battery life while cranking.

Yes, we were a bit tunnel visioned at that point.

The initial tyest was with an 85 starter jet, the same size as in the FCR-MX on my ktm 450. We also tried with no jet installed and definitely was getting fuel through the choke passage. Gregor how's that eye? Still burning? I'll try a 65 when I get a chance.

Chris
  8. sakurama

Oddometer:
    It is bittersweet to leave Spannerland behind. I'll still have my friends but it's the end of an era. Here's my shop Friday morning:

[​IMG]

And here it is Sunday afternoon:

[​IMG]

Wow, was that a lot of work. If anyone is interested in some Kennedy tool boxes, a Craftsman roller box or a whole boat load of John Sterling Fast-Mount shelving drop me a PM. A lot of this stuff I don't want to transport so I'm going to try to sell it in NYC first.

Gregor
  9. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    :cry
  10. CosentinoEngineering

CosentinoEngineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A big box from christini arrived today..........

[​IMG]

Fun fun fun!!!!
  11. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    This thread may have the most well-chosen title of all time.

It started as a wash job, right? :D

13. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    inspiring thread to be sure!

i was laughing hard about the "while its apart" qoute!
  14. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon

Of course, many are getting sucked into the mission creep...

I stopped by sakurama's thread to just check out the motor swap and exhaust build, then ended up buying some amazing and magical velocity stacks. Integrating Chris's beautiful stacks have led me to discover a couple more "shortcomings" to my present bike setup and state of tune. So, naturally one thing leads to another and the next thing snowhawk jockey knows, he too is suffering from the chronic affliction. "While I was in there, I noticed that this didn't look right and had to attend to it..."

My buddies with clean bikes tease me about deferred maintenance. I don't get how cooking up new ways to thrash a perfectly good OEM design, gets referred to as "maintenance", when it is just a bit of mission creep.:deal
  15. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Hey Mortimer!

See you tonight at the big bike show? We got nice weather and I still have one bike that runs so I'm headed down.

If you think I'm bad with bikes ill post a shot of our new house later...:huh

Gregor
  16. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  17. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Probably not. I have a pistol match Sunday so my personal time has been accounted for. BMW Tigard is only 3 or so blocks from our house now though. We're actually going to take the kids tonight as they love motorcycles and then I'll stay later. Take notes for me tonight. I'd like to ride that this summer.

G
  18. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Here's what I do to a house. This is the day we closed:

[​IMG]

and then a week later:

[​IMG]

But I promise this won't be a two year affair before we can move in. I want to move in more than anyone but some stuff you can't do while you're living there. That whole upper wall was taken out because I didn't want the sheet rock to protrude a 1/2" beyond the beam - that may be tweaky but it would bother me. Way too many dumb things were done to this house that need to be fixed but it will be worth it.

If you're curious I've started a garage thread over at Garage Journal. How many simultaneous rebuilds can I take on...

Gregor
  19. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    but what about the trike?
  20. sakurama

Oddometer:
    That's not Mission Creep - that Mission Creepy.