Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RicoAJP

RicoAJP ADV Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I've been attempting to call Kriega UK as well as US but I keep getting voicemails. I'll be in San Diego from the 13th for a few days before I start heading back to Toronto.
  2. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Best thing is to send an email to Michael, he will get back to you.

I have a bunch of Kriega stuff (can't remember if I have a US30 or not)... if there is anything I can do to help out, let me know.
  3. swooshdave

swooshdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I were to guess the passenger was either leaning on the bag (unintentionally or not) or the bag was loose. The rocking motion tore the attachment points. Snug straps will not let the bag move and then it can't tear.
  4. ratthing

ratthing refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, and used a 5" Maxpedition TacTie (MOLLE attachment strap). I use one of these for a drag handle on a rifle case that doesn't have one, too. 4x for $6.99 msrp. There might be some other MOLLE straps that would work, but I had these sitting unused in the range kit.

=RT=
  5. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Hi Rico,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In the past few weeks, I've done about 20,000 miles of traveling. None of which were on my bike! :becca

But the bottom line is: that aint right. :eek1

If you've got a proof of purchase, you've got a new pack. PM me and I'll get it sorted out right away.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Michael
  7. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    I'd love to give you a different answer, but the ALP has the exact same mounts as the ADV Platform.

Michael
  8. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Mate,

I only just got my first peek when I was over in England last week!

Because all the gear is designed and developed by just two blokes (Dom & Mike, who own the company) - not to mention the fact that they like to make sure it's 100% before release - new product isn't exactly churned out at the same rate as some other companies. However, 2014 will see the introduction of three new items.

Two of those are courier style bags, aimed more at urban riders (specifically those from the US who have requested a bit more compartmentalization for the gear they haul to work and back), but there is also a very tidy new 'Rally Pac' that I'm sure you'd dig. It's built to Dakar spec (i.e. regulation size), so not all that big, but is without a doubt the most solid and reliable minimalist tail pack I have ever seen.

The Rally Pac is currently at the production sample stage and the other items are only at prototype stage, but I'll post up pics as soon as they're out of R&D and I get the OK from the UK.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Eh? :huh

Send me an email and - if the four D-rings aren't enough for what you have in mind - hopefully we can figure something out.

Michael
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback and the epic photos!

From what I can gather, the only negative occurs when you want to stretch your legs on pavement. Looking at the photos, it could be that further tightening the seat strap (to raise the bags slightly higher) might help with this. However, the Overlander 30 was designed for off-road use, so if it does it's job in that situation, perhaps not being able to slide right to the back of the bike on slab sections isn't such a severe compromise.

But, as ever, all this info is valued and appreciated. So please feel free to pass on any more opinions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael
  11. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Michael,

There are a few surprises I found when utilizing the Overlander 30 bags, those issues were covered in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911217&highlight=overlander

where I did a comparison of the Giantloop Coyote and the Kriega Overlander 30 bags. This being the Vendor thread I thought it might be inappropriate to post in this thread. PM me if you'd like portions relative to the Kriega bags posted here.

Yes the Over-the-seat-strap issue is my primary concern. i understand the bags are off road focused, as is most of my riding. Sadly there are very few places in the world where I can connect a weeks worth of off road riding without utilizing pavement connection sections. Therefore I am just a bit disappointed that there was not a better solution rather than the Camlock buckle in the middle of the seat. This however being the first design of the Overlander 30 bags I'm hoping Kriega can utilize customer feedback and critique in hopeful further product upgrades, much as GiantLoop did to create an improved Coyote bag.

Micheal can you help me understand what your trying to achieve with the suggestion of further tightening the seat strap to raise the bags slightly? I'll most certainly give it a go, but always like to understand the logic behind the thinking in case I am missing anything basic.

As my arm gets closer to 100% healed I'll be acquiring more pics of your bags in action. Today I loaded them up for another test run. This time mounted farther forward to see if it improved the bag stability.

[​IMG]

If you get a chance to read the review and have any suggestions in terms of mounting I'm all ears.

Again thank you for all the help.
  12. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Michael's pictures of how good these bags look on a Triumph Scrambler, I ordered a UScombo30 today for my 2012 Scrambler. Leaving in 3 days for a trip from Reno to Buckley, WA and back to give it good test. Most excited I've ever been over "luggage". :clap
  13. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Hey ftb... I finally had time to fully read your review and watch your video.

In general terms, my initial feelings about the Coyote vs. the OL30 was very similar to yours. Over time, and with a bit more experimentation (or maybe just I am now used to the OL30) I do feel that the OL30 is in general a better set up.

Maybe I should have prefaced the above by saying that I used the Coyote and currently use the OL30 primarily on my Super Enduro (although I have set both up on my 400) which is a much larger motorcycle.

A couple things I would try:

1) Play with the OL30 bag location a bit. My initial placement ended up being different than I have now.

2) Try hooking the top alloy hook strap to the opposite side rack loop, so they cross each other over the top of the rear fender. This might allow you to move the bags around a bit differently.

3) For me, the strap tightening sequence made a difference in how secure the bags fit on the bike. Daisy chain, top/rear alloy hook straps made tight. Load the bags. Cinch the straps around the bags. Tighten the cam buckle over the seat.

Not saying any of this is the answer. But I know I fiddled a bunch at first. Now they go on and come off "like buttah"
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Great to hear, Av8rPaul. We do try!

Pics please! :D
  16. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Well, it seems traveltoad beat me to the punch once more... :shog

What he said is absolutely spot-on. You can definitely get that seat strap a lot further back, so that it is no more - and quite possibly less - intrusive than a GL pack positioning. But if you do get a bit of garage time and would like me to talk you through a few configurations, do let me know. Happy to Skype your cell, landline or computer, so no problem if you're still abroad.

Looking forward to more photos of your rides. And kudos for the ground-sleeping, bivvy bag, 'tarp' action - I imagine the forest floor crawlers over there are no joke!

Cheers,

Michael
  17. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving tomorrow for a little 1500 mile break in run on the bike and the bags. Pictures will follow.
  18. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:

Michael;
    Stop drinking and reading/typing..........FTB is using a hammock style tent..........duh!!:lol3

Cheers..........and thanks again for the help with my last problem!
  19. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Michael - I'll PM you my Skype contact info. It would be great to chat when you're free. Thank you.

Yes the bugs in the jungle can be unnerving at times. The 8 inch poisonous centipedes are what give me the shivers, though the Tarantulas, poisonous snakes, and Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes can keep you on your toes as well. As Droptrotter noticed it's why I choose to hang in a hammock most times though when packing light its just a bivy sack.
  20. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Oooooohhhh... yeah.... :thumb

That's a relief. I knew my fellow Inmates were a nutty bunch, but that would have been a bit much. Shoulda looked closer. :doh