CENTEX ADV: Quest for the HOLY SMOKE!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Mar 29, 2010.

1. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Loco has been up for sale for a few months now so I'm not really surprised.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  2. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I guess there is no need to go out of my way through Glen Rose on my way to SanAntone anymore? Unless I want to look at dinosaur tracks.:rofl
  3. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I plan to ask Tom and Linda in the next few days:deal
  4. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I recently ate at Johnny's in Salado. This place is both BBQ and steaks. The steaks are some of the BEST I have ever had...oh, but wait...this is the Quest for the Holy Smoke Thread:deal So back to Q:lol3

Ribs were damn good about a 8
    Brisket was good too.....7

Ribs were well seasoned and large but only 2 ribs in the combo plate:cry not saying I left hungry by no means, but don't don't expect Loco Coyote portions:lol3 Brisket was well seasoned/nice smoke but a tad dry. I had french fries and they were home cut SSDan:deal( no fake fries here:evil) This was a side destination after my primary destination(Millers)in Belton was closed on Monday:cry Not disappointed in my fare and I will eat here again...I tend to favor the steaks here(ribeye or Sirloin)...so if you are headed down IH 35 and you find yourself near Salado, Look up Johnnys..here is the link to their website..
    http://johnnyssteaksandbbq.com/about.html
  5. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any news?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Johnny's:This was the place where I tasted the sauce & found it to be almost exactly like my grandfather Powers' secret sauce recipie. That was back a few owners though... Don't kno bout now

Now remember....I said Millers ONLY HAS RIBS FRIDAY & SATURDAYS
    They're open TUE-SAT (OH ..&....Tue is the day they make SMOKED CHICKEN SALAD....but it doesn't last till Friday!!) last time we were actually there on a Tue around 1PM & it was all gone already!!!!!
  7. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard the Loco Coyote being sold rumor from a friend of Tom Hammond, owner of LC. I sent his wife a message but have not replied back to me. Have a feeling it is a done deal. Hope they have enough sense to not change things much but who knows. Heard the new owners are long time fans of LC so I hope they stay the course.

Plan on going there soon and will ask them. I do know Tom was getting tired of running the place. He has done this before and then comes back, who knows this time.
  8. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Linda and she confirmed that they did sell Loco Coyote but will be there for a couple more months. Go there while you can.... We need to a run to Loco soon.
  9. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Another sad day.
  10. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry:cry:cry
  11. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Two more Miller's Smokehouse fans.....PhilHill & his wife Pam went by to eat on Sat afternoon. Pam said the pulled pork was some of the best she's had. (Their pulled pork is not smothered in sauce like anuther place's just down the street). I didn't ask but I'm sure Phil had the ribs.....& I'll bet they were tasty too.
    Another fine eatin place in my opinion. We need more like this....

I do LOVE the ribs at LOCO too.....& hope the new owners will continue the exemplary execution of Tom & Linda's vision.
  12. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I met with Linda and she says they plan to run Loco Coyote until June 1. They also plan to have a farewell party toward the end but the date is to set. Linda assured me that the new owners will carry on the Loco tradition of quality and for everyone to give them a chance to prove themselves:deal
  13. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    yep, its the golf pro et al that purchased LC, rides a hd. No restaurant experience... setting up a driving range in back....JK :D
    Bought the house with restaurant and land. Stole it !! Moving down to glenrose. Granted I heard this second source soo...
  14. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    You know BBQ is so hard to get right, I sure he's gonna prove himself mediocre. Hopefully I'm wrong.

No restaurant experience? That's like somebody with no golfing experience joining the PGA tour.
  15. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Linda, said the man and his wife have been longtime customers and have experience in the food trade....We will have to watch and see...but yeah they do ride HDs:eek1
  16. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    " Have experience in the food trade" = "Have eaten at restaurants."
  17. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Now thats just wrong:lol3
    On lighter note be ready for Q at my place this weekend!!!:freaky
  18. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:

I may use this line someday when people ask what I do. "I'm in the beef industry". This means I work at McDonalds.

I tried Ghost's Q last weekend and it rocks. Dang I recognize that brisket sandwich and rings on the opening page too. I could eat one now for breakfast. If I could only find the place again before it fills with coyotes.
  19. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I have 10 briskest out to cook this weekend. Feeding 150 for a wedding. Time I get through cooking that much Q. I will be Q'd out for a bit:lol3
  20. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I see Dody at Loco Coyoye, this guy NEVER gets tired of Great BBQ. Well except for a couple hours after feeding all those people. Then he is probably headed out to LC Sunday..????