Gone Walkabout

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HowlingMad, Oct 18, 2012.

1. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    That's Tommy Boy!

And yes, but fix the thermostat first. I'll be spoiled by these warm temperatures by the time I get home.
  2. BillNighSciGuy

BillNighSciGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    No updates in a couple days. How are things going, and where are you?
  3. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been following this thread with mixed thoughts about my own self stupidity and fear of doing this myself--

I really respect you for taking the time and being so honest about thoughts and perspectives on it --- I hope this finds you in good health and best of luck searching for the right thought in time and space--(I sound like a druggie)

get it figured out ///////////// I need the thoughts and lessons

Ride Safety
    Knightwork:ear
  4. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the radio silence, I spent two nights with a uncle outside of Tucson with almost no internet access.

Last night I started east again and found myself near Chiricahua National Monument, in the very southeast of Arizona. I wisely decided to camp inside the park and this morning I fond some really spectacular dirt roads heading east to New Mexico. I stopped for a little breakfast and smelled oil. Not good.

[​IMG]

I looked under the bike to see a the rear shock leaking. Ruh roh. I'm a long way from nowhere.

So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'd rather not buy a new BMW shock, if I'm going to spend the money, then I'd rather buy aftermarket, but finding one of those in the middle of nowhere will be tough. I'm not sure how far I can go on this one before it becomes a pogo stick.

So anyone know where I can find a used rear shock for short money?:ear

Currently in Lordsburg, NM
  5. Nictrolis

Nictrolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't offer a solution, but I like the method you're using to justify an upgrade: Ride to Failure!!! :-)
  6. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll cross post your request in the West and Rockies Region.
  7. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironic....? I looked in to see if we had a shock lying around from our build but it appears we do not. Best of luck.

Kev
  8. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the help. I'm striking out so far. Seem to be a long way from nowhere and it's Monday so everyone is closed. I don't know whether to push east toward El Paso where a new dealer can overnight some Ohlins or go back to Tucson and hope for more options tomorrow. I'm about three hours from either choice.

Anyone know the differences between all the available Ohlins? The El Paso guy only listed two models, both seem basic for $900, but his supplier Parts Unlimited lists several, but I'm glazing over as I read.
    http://www.parts-unlimited.com/products/?productId=82944

Thoughts? Are Ohlins that much better than Wilbers? Anything else I should consider?

Also, I assume this thing becomes a pogo stick once I lose all the oil, but is there anything else besides my spine that could be damaged if I push it?

Thanks for any input.
  9. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you will still be able to ride. It's just that the handling of your machine will be compromised so be careful in the turns.
  10. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this report today. Love it. I'm really, really jealous. Good luck with the shock.
  11. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    PM on your way.
  12. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    The two wheel fraternity is worth gold sometimes. PM responded to. Call me when you can.
  13. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
  14. RTLLTR

RTLLTR RotoTiller!

Oddometer:
    Looks like Howly may be headed to meet up with Taterharry for as loaner shock. In case the old one doesn't make it that far....he is on a 2007 1200GSA. Just in case anyone else has options closer.

Just want to keep the good JUJU for JT!
  15. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For lack of a better suggestion, you may want to try Dona Ana Cycle Salvage in Las Cruces. I think he has mainly older stuff but you never know...

http://www.dacyclesalvage.com/
  16. SpineDr

SpineDr He who doesn't ride enough

Oddometer:
    Loving this ride..... and report.
    I had a 3 day solo ride planned for a few weeks ago but last minute one of mates came along. We had a great ride and he is great company, but I still feel like I missed out on the solo bit. I'll get to do it some time down the track, but as for now, I'm living/riding vicariously through this thread.

Thanks heaps
  17. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Go to nmdualsport.org and look up Roger Payne..... he lives right there and has facilities. Rides a KLR. Tell him Jeff Angstman from Deming said to call you. People likely know him in that small town too. Sorry you are having issues. Jeff.
  18. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Also BMW shops down there are in Tucson and a new one at Barnetts in El Paso, TX. Closest actual bike shop to you is in Las Cruces but big 4 Japanese and KTMs. Another guy named rtxpilot on nmds might also be able to help you. Jeff.
  19. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    John came up to Santa Fe last night, we fitted my backup shock on and he is back on the road. :norton
  20. HelloKitty

HelloKitty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey TaterHarry - Thanks so much for helping out my husband!!