New BMW G650X (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mr moto, Oct 9, 2006.

1. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    Here's my take on the BMW lineup:
    Currently they have the F650GS single and then a big leap to the R1200 with a large chasm in between. BMW needs to attract younger, less well-heeled buyers to replace it's aging customer base and try to gain some market share. It's ironic then, that BMW has no supply of F650s to sell currently - or is it? My guess is BMW is intentionally trying to deplete its supply of F650s and will phase them out. Witness the retail price drop earlier this year.
    Enter the G650 and the F800. The G650 is a stripped down, lower, lighter weight, and less expensive replacement for the F650GS, intended as a simple starter bike with no pretentions as an adventure or sport-touring bike. The F800 is a bigger, heavier and more expensive version to fill the gap between the 650 and the 1200 and will have an abundance of optional and aftermarket products available to set it up for travelling.
    Personally, I think the G is a step down for an F owner. I also think that the biggest flaw in the F650 is its weight. If the F800 is heavier, It would be a hard sell on me.
  2. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I like the new bikes but what disappoints is no
    6speed just like the F650's

3. birdawg

birdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the bikes, however comma, after having owned the 650 for over a year now I have settled into it and feel like it would be a step backwards to go to a more dirt oriented bike. Last weekend I went to the Rally at Shiloh, toodled around Missisippi a while, took a bunch of twisties along pickwick, spotted some power lines and did some off roading then headed home. About 300 miles worth all total for the day. I really like the way I can eat up the highway miles on the GS.
    Now an F800GS that would be sweet.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I'll have to test ride before I can make a decision, but I can see myself selling my '05 Yamaha R6 Raven and replacing it with the new G650 XMoto. Why? I bought the R6 to use on the track even though I haven't had it there yet. I really don't care about 150 mph. In fact I prefer tighter tracks and sub-100 mph speeds. I also want a dual sport of some kind to do a labrador trip and an alaska trip with. Lastly I'm interested in more comfort as I get older. I think the XMoto could perform all of these duties with some aftermarket soft luggage, a change to knobbies for labrador and alaska, and an aux fuel cell. All for under 10 grand, I'm sure.

Show me another bike that would offer that level of versatility and I'll pass this one by.
  5. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As someone that has modified his Dakar to trail-worthiness, I'd love to get more power and less weight. Short of dumping $5K on a TT Orynx Kit, the Dak ain't getting any lighter or faster.

The XCountry and Moto versions of this bike would prolly smoke a F650 in the twisties and straights - again, less weight more power is better in all applications. :evil
  6. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
  7. TexBiker

TexBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That first one looks like BMW made a real dual sport--neato.

Not sure about that third one though, KTM might want their Duke back.
  9. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Needs to be about twice that for long range touring IMO.
    Wish the white plastics were the color of the frame or swing arm (easy to fix though)
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    expanding to a line of very expensive dirtbikes with extremely expensive replacement parts.... :rofl
  11. tristano

tristano Adventurer

Oddometer:

+ 1
    and add that f650 gs will be in the market one more year or at least till bmw sells new f800gs (dual sport bikes are so important for the brand). German cars makers always behaves this way: a golf ( american rabit) 1° serie was far smaller than la lst one they actually sell.
    So next bike for a f650gs owner, in the bmw marketing people's minds, would be a f800.
    I don't know how many f800 they sold till now in Italy, but some of the current owners don't appreciate it so much especially for shift's problems, it's very hard to make it work.
    IMHO the bmw range will be g650 for youngers or as we say in Italy ( home-bar ( means café) bike) with maybe a version more travel oriented
    F 800 as mid range
    R/K 1200 boxer o 4 cyl high range with best seller in Italy like r1200gs
  12. Jutta

Jutta Into the remote places

Oddometer:
    The King is dead! Long live the King!
  13. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Hair and Gordy; Weight listed in the MOA linked PDF: Low unladen weight between 156 and 160 kg (344 and 353 lb).
  14. Herknav90

Herknav90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2.5 gallon tank...Kinda lame...It shows 9.5 L usable fuel which is 2.5 gallon...However .5 of that is reserve.

Per the stat sheet...

3.5 L per 100KM at 90 KPH continuous which equates to 168 miles to empty at 55 mph (BTW, my R12GS has the low fuel light at 160-170 mi)

5.0 L per 100KM at 120 KPH continuous which equates to 117 miles to empty at 75 mph

These figures are lean for most riders...Looks like the aftermarket tank market will have to step it up for the thumpers...
  15. SPEd600

SPEd600 GSDude was pwned

Oddometer:
    Won't all that fuel make it heavy on one side? :huh
  16. rustynail

rustynail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really think BMW hit one out of the park on this one. These motorcycles show that BMW is really paying attention to this segment. I hope they sell well here in the states. It may cause some other manufacturers, like Yamaha, to wake the hell up.
  17. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the ETA on this thing?

I would trade my f650 in for it in a heartbeat! I know BMWs are expensive but the financing is great which actually makes the bike less expensive on a month to month basis. Treat the bike like lease and trade it in. BMW actually gives a decent amount for a trade in of it's own kind. My local KTM dealer wanted nothing to do with my BMW as a trade in nor did any other bike shop for that matter. I know, the best route is selling the bike myself but I keep buying new bikes and wind up keeping the old ones. I gotta get the trick down of selling before buying :D . I hope this thing is priced like the f650 and not the HP2. Otherwise, I may have to make my f into a TT Oryx.

[​IMG]

^ TT Oryx

G650X In Action, what kind of tires are those? I'd have to put some knobs on.
  18. slip

slip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these bikes coming to the states? If so, I want the Dual Sport version.:clap
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I just went outside to weigh my DR. 158kgs (46/54%) including greases, juices, bulletproof bashplate, excellent forks :wink: , extra tools, original exhaust, fresh new Stone master rear tyre and an uncertain amount of fuel.

Not bad aye for stupid heavyweight technology with a low degree of overall integration of the various components! [​IMG]
  20. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    So where do you suppose they hid the battery this time, anything would be an improvement over the F's remove 14 Torx Screws dick dance to check acid...

The X Challenge (will there be a Reality Show?) could be the machine that brings me back to BWM's folds.