Sahara Day, April 6, Peoria, AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Jesse Luggage, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jesse Luggage

Jesse Luggage Crash Tested & Approved... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Day in the Sahara
    Al Jesse and the crew at Jesse Luggage Systems would like to introduce you to Chris Scott, famed traveler of the Saharan desert. Chris has traveled the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Sahara</st1:place> for the past 25 years, in all sorts of vehicles, including of course, a motorcycle. Chris has written of his extensive experiences in the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook. http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/

[​IMG]

Al met Chris on his own trip through the Sahara desert on the border between <st1:country-region w:st="on">Mali</st1:country-region> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Senegal</st1:country-region></st1:place>, and the two have remained in contact ever since.
    On April 6, 2013, Jesse Luggage will host a presentation by Chris Scott, in which he will describe some of his travels, as well as discuss how to set up and outfit your motorcycle for adventure travel. This is a great opportunity for those who are looking to get ready for that big trip, and for those who are dreaming about it!
    Attendance will be limited, and the exact location in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Peoria</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">AZ</st1:State></st1:place> (not at Jesse Luggage), will be disclosed to those who sign up. We will plan the festivities to begin around 3pm and last until dark. We will ask for a small donation to help cover the cost of Chris’ expenses and for the refreshments that will be served. Sign up at neil@jesseluggage.com

<!-- / message -->
  2. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic from the ride in the Sahara when Al met Chris Scott.

[​IMG]
  3. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
  4. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pix from Chris's web page. Sahara riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. MATTJH

MATTJH AARG Pirate

Oddometer:
    10 AARG members signed up so far.
  6. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    Lunch in the Sahara....

[​IMG]
  7. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a kickstand I see dragging ?
  8. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:

Sure looks to be. Maybe part of his presentation will be on remote sidestand repair. :lol3
    It would suck to have to zip tie it. Doesn't look like there's a lot of places to lean a moto in the Sahara.
  9. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    A pic from one of Chris Scott's first Sahara rides. (He's been doing this for awhile).

[​IMG]

A reminder that this coming Saturday is the Chris Scott meet and greet, in Peoria, AZ. Chris brings extensive Sahara riding experience to share with us. Reserve a spot, by emailing your request to neil@jesseluggage.com.
  10. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    We want to renew our invite for anyone interested in motorbike travel, to attend our “Sahara Day” with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Africa</st1:place> traveler, Chris Scott. This event is a meet and greet, with Chris giving a photo presentation and talk on his “Desert Biking Years”. The talk will cover more than 30 years of motorbike riding in the <st1:place w:st="on">Sahara</st1:place>. In addition, there will be lots of time for specific questions, and general schmoozing. Some of the subjects that Chris may cover are, planning for the ride, i.e. sponsorship, , bike choice, bike loading, gear that you need, (not just what is available to buy), riding seasons, fuel prices, border crossings, satellite navigation, moto troubleshooting, the list goes on. Bring your questions, bring your enthusiasm, bring your travel plans…
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also at the event, will be some motorbikes on display. A Yamaha XT660 Tenere.* Which is one of only a couple in the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place> right now.. Then there will be a race bike that ran in the original Paris/Dakar in the Sahara, and another that won the Pharaoh’s Rally, now known as Pharons Rally in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Egypt</st1:country-region></st1:place>. .(Beginning and ending at the pyramids of Gisa) There’ll also be a couple older R80’s, one of which has done 700,000 K, two up, as well as Al’s personal R80ST which he took around the world.
    <o:p>Tommorrow is the last day of email monitoring. We're closed on Friday and Saturday, so if you want to register, do it now. If you miss the deadline, sneak in with somebody who didn't miss it, and you can just blame me for misreading the email. (Your riding bud said TWO people were attending.)
    </o:p><o:p></o:p>
    * The name Ténéré comes from the Tuareg language, meaning "desert", in much the same way that the Arabic word for "desert", <st1:place w:st="on">Sahara</st1:place>, came to be applied to the region as a whole.<o:p></o:p>
  11. Jesse Luggage

Oddometer:
    One of the bikes that will be there.

[​IMG]

If you want more info on the bike, ya gotta show up.

Edit: looks like it's got a laser centerstand. High tech stuff.
  12. ewilly

ewilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody from the East side ride over to attend this event! I am signed up and going to leave around 3:30PM from the Chandler area if you want to ride over together.
  13. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    are accepted for this as near as I can tell. signed up twice, no response given back on location. Oh well, probably for the best-I only like to be a poser:lol3.
  14. ewilly

ewilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to thank Al and his wife for hosting this event! It was great meeting some new riders and the food was great. I really dug seeing the old bikes and the slideshow with narration.

Regards, E
  15. Morgan Steele

Morgan Steele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

I was overwhelmed by the graciousness of Al and Julie. This was a wonderful evening. I look forward to seeing them again in the future. All the best to Chris Scott as he begins his US adventure.
  16. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    +1