1. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I've asked the same thing, but don't recall any decent answers. I don't care who knows my plate numbers.
  2. dominican

dominican Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also stuck in that traffic. I couldn't even lane split my way to freedom it was so bad!
  3. banditthecat

banditthecat n00b

Oddometer:
    As someone mentioned before - this was the big weekend for checkpoints...

"A truck load of confiscated dirt bikes."
    https://twitter.com/CommissBratton/status/475742127855771648

Anybody know the criteria for getting impounded? I've heard all it takes is a missing inspecting sticker or aftermarket exhaust (regardless of volume) at one of these checkpoints.
  4. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    dirt bike with a windshield?:huh
  5. banditthecat

banditthecat n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah..... Dirtbikes :lol3

Some people are saying these are just bikes that were impounded for being parked illegally or on the parade route and the caption is wrong.

Either way - trying to figure out how worried I need to be with an aftermarket exhaust and smoked integrated tailight running through one of these checkpoints. Tailight is easy to change and something I've been meaning to remedy but exhaust is atleast 1k to change on an old Monster....
  6. dominican

dominican Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hate this kind of treatment. The only reason I keep my ugly, girlfriend burning exhaust on my bike is because I do not want my bike impounded by these goons. My bike sounds great, less loud than a stock sport bike, gets better mileage, and won't burn the girlfriend, but because of this nonsense, it stays on.

In other news, I bounced off the front fender of a honda accord on the west side highway today. I was merging onto it from the GW bridge, and my lane was going much faster than the middle and left lanes, so some jackass darted into my lane just as I was good enough to bounce off of the right front fender. I bounced, kept the bike upright, stabilized, and saw that only my left barkbuster, my left crash bar and my left leg got hit, as well as the helmet I had strapped to the back left of the bike.I have a bruise on my left leg, but I am ok.
  7. Michael

Michael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, Dominican, glad you are OK! Did the jackass stop or did he pretend nothing happened?

I will be coming up to NYC for three or four days to visit my daughter. She has a sublet on 112th 3 doors down from Broadway. I will sadly be in the minivan instead of my K1200S. Is there any offstreet parking in that area? I am planning to cruise around hoping to pounce on a street spot but in case none is available it would be nice to have another option.

THanks,

Mike
  8. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

The best I can figure out as to why people are concerned is because of the potential reverse lookup to find out registered address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

Yah curious as to how that played out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Last Weds., I commuted among the 5-boro and Hoboken on my Chinese SuperCub clone 110cc scooter for over 50 miles in a single day.
    Other than being butt sore from the poor suspension, I'd say the scoot held up well for city commute... riding between the car mirrors on Brooklyn Bridge was piece of cake.

I mostly parked near the Citibike stations, no one seems to bother me.. a few cab drivers stopped me and ask about the scoot, they say that was the same scoot they had back in India/Haiti/Pakistan, etc.. never could kill it, started every time they ride... and how much they missed riding.:lol3

[​IMG]
  11. DrewCopter

DrewCopter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done this from Astoria -> Elizabeth NJ a whole lot of times around 7-8am. I cannot speak for the evening as I had to go roundtrip all in the am. In the morning, if you aren't leaving by 6am or so I would just suck it up and take RFK bridge to GWB. The WB tunnels might be ok but manhattan will be a clusterffff by then.
  12. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 on the same route & the same experience. Give yourself plenty of time, leave early, and know that the traffic will eventually clear.
    Coming back in to Queens is the same, but in reverse.
  13. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

And on that note. I ordered a custom plate for my bike :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    what's it say?
  15. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I tell you you might be able to hunt me down.

16. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    MOTECH
    way before I got in to motos that's been my nickname since around 15.
    MO and I'm a tech. Also in Hebrew it means sweetie. Dual meaning.
    I'm sure everyone who sees it will think accessories.

17. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:

Absolutely. Once the wifey and I stopped parking on the street we never once considered looking back.
  18. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 The $200/m to $250/m (depending on the lot) is completely worth offsetting the B.S. that is well documented here.
  19. dominican

dominican Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He pretended nothing happened. I looked over my bike and other than the gold paint, it was fine, so I just kept rolling. Life is too short to care too much.
  20. Sckill

Sckill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out of that one OK.