Motomaster 320mm single front disk

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by K2m, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Patacca

Patacca Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer:

THAT' S A wonderfull news Thanx mate.
    Next step your friend local delear's email....:clap :freaky
  2. Patacca

Oddometer:
    LAST QUESTION I SWEAR....

So I'm just one click away to buy it...but last question to be sure 100%.....

with this rotor+calliper+ original master pump (SE) I will be able to brake with only one finger? I mean I will need less pressure on the brake lever to stop? Is that correct?

Or it's better looking for two front disk.....like this one to be able to stop with one finger?

[​IMG]
  3. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will be very happy with the performance and most importantly the feedback from the front brake. When it's wet, muddy, hard pack, soft or tar the feedback to your fingers is what keeps you upright. This is where the brake excels:clap

I think that on a dirt bike a single disk looks the best. So much so that my new 17" front wheel hub is from an SE. The next time I service my forks I will loose the bottom caliper holder. I love the look of a single disk:freaky
    That's a nice looking bike in the picture tho.
  4. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how dose the Motomaster perform on an SE in a racing environment?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9626186#post9626186

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  5. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Racing environment for this bike is sort of vague. I've raced RallyMoto but I'm not about to race the 950 in that. On dirt it's just not much of an issue since you don't have the traction to use all the available braking force. Pavement is a whole different animal.

I have done a few track days on my bike with this set up and it worked great. I was a little worried that I might end up warping the rotor as I was getting the rear end light coming down from 130mph but the rotor stayed true. As of this summer I've got 41,000 miles of road, dirt, two up and track days with this set up and I'm thinking I might cut off the second caliper mount this winter.

On an SE with it's lighter weight I think you'd have more than enough. I'm using a Brembo radial mount master which I added this summer and improved the feel (and power) tremendously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Patacca

Oddometer:
    So now you have Motomaster Calliper and rotor + brembo radial (which size?) right?

So you say only brembo radial could be ok or it's better also the motomaster kit?:freaky

Thanx
  7. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    The SE master should be fine.
    (The 950 Adv master is meant for 2 discs - so not so great for Motomaster caliper)
  8. Patacca

Oddometer:
    Can you try to explain why? It should have double power ( two discs ) but why everybody says no good?

If I put the ADV master on stock SE disc sys what happens and why?

Cant' understand this but I would like to....:norton

Sorry but I asked to two mechanics...and they can't tell me anything just...we should try....that for a mechanic is just like telling...I dont' know we will discover together....so I can do it also by myself....but It would be nice if they (acting like mechanics) would have known this....isn't it?
  9. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Im assuming youre talking about which Master cylinder to use for a single-disc setup.. (single vs double disc is a different discussion)

In simple terms, the force applied to the brake pad is a function of Pressure and piston Surface area.

Essentially, the master cylinder has a smaller surface area than the slave cylinder - and in this way achieves a mechanical advantage (ie smaller force at the lever - greater force at the brake pad).

A twin disc (twin calliper) brake system has twice the slave cylinder surface area of a single disc system. So the master cylinder is sized accordingly.

If you use the ADV master cylinder on a single disc, then you have halved the slave surface area - which now means you need twice the force at the lever to achieve the same braking (roughly speaking).

:dunno
  10. Patacca

Oddometer:
    that means you should go looking for a smaller master area, not bigger.......... :norton

I will think about it tonight...going sleeping...

thanx for now....
    :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton :norton
  11. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a clue in the instructions........2 line....... The caliper was designed to work best with the the standard single disk master cylinders. They probably achieve this by using smaller piston surfaces in the caliper. Forget the rules and assumptions..... Go with the manufacturer's advice as they should know what they are talking about.

A radial master by design will work better again. If you have to purchase an SE master, it might be worth spending a bit/lot:lol3 more and get a radial.

I am running radial masters on my Mountain bike, and must say I love them.

Patacca as you have a SE master just try it first. It's all you need.

Thanks Mooki. For normal applications that advice is spot on

I do love the look of Gregor's Radial .... I want .... I want .... I want.... noooo it's not necessary. Spend wisely

[​IMG][/IMG]
  12. Patacca

Oddometer:
    Thanx I read that on the pic's box...
    Thanks to everybody for the advices, on motomaster website there are a lot of kit wich one is the right one?

A friend of mine gave me this link is this the correct product?
    Again Thanx.

http://www.enduroparts.de/product_i...ng---bremsenkit-flame-mit-4-kolben-zange.html
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I just thought of something. Somewhere in my garage I have a Braking 320mm wave disc, off a KTM SMR. I think it came stock on it? Anyway, point is that the disc is "dished", in other words the outer ring is offset a bit. I think it might be 5 or 6 mms....

I'll have to measure it up when I am home next time, but this could be a nice solution with factory parts to avoid the bearing spacer fix.

Will post pictures as well.
    chevtech and Ferd like this.
  14. Patacca

Oddometer:
    :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear
  15. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Alright, I just dug up the disc out of my ever growing parts pile. Wasn't easy! :D

The good news is that the offset does indeed measure to be 5mm. It's also a very nice fully floating design which appears to be made by Braking (in my experience the steel grabs better yet holds up better than the Motomaster discs), even though it has OEM KTM markings on it.

The bad news is that it was only used on the 2004 660 and 450 SMS Factory Supermoto Replicas and is therefore a very expensive part - €472. So not really an option for most.

Mine has basically no wear on it if anybody wants to make me an offer, though! :wink:

[​IMG]
    dooby and chevtech like this.
  16. Faststage1

Faststage1 mmmm muuuud

Oddometer:
    tis

I need to know every last detail regarding this bike!!!!! I looks like it would stop with one finger cursed with arthritis. Please tell me what the conversion involves.
  17. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Patacca

Oddometer:
  19. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=table2 border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee>Magura front brake system
    </TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee align=right>1.990€</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The States would be the best place to shop for this.... for sure!:wink: