The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. opticalmace

opticalmace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  2. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Another interesting observation: the maintenance schedule for the suspension is at 12,000 kms! Having said that, after reading heaps of dirt bike websites it is standard practice for any dirtbike owner to immediately grease a new bikes linkage/swingarm/steering bearings as they always come under-greased from the factory. If you just commuted to work and did a very little dry gravel you might not notice the rust and stiffness till a year or so. By then the damage is done of course! I've spoken with the NZ Honda head office and the guy I spoke with said that the bikes should come with more grease & my bike was (hopefully) an exception. I will be checking our work bike (another crf250L) to see......I couldn't resist pulling out the swingarm bolt on my bike and was happy to see some sort of light oil on it (definately NOT grease) so I cleaned that off and greased it up. I still want my dealer to do the swingarm and steering bearings as a point of principle....or because I'm not that skilled yet!:D
  3. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of surprised to see the torque figure on the front sprocket is only 7 lbf/ft.
  4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sprocket retainer "clip" has 2 M6 bolts...they are soft and cheap non rated bolts...any more will twist them right off...and blue locktite is a good idea...I will probably replace them with 8.8 or 10.9 flange head bolts when my 13 tooth sprocket gets installed
  5. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd throw this out there.

The 13t sprocket I got from CRF's only, was $18.95+Fedex (no other choice) $10.77.

The KTM mirrors I got from Moto-Science were $84 (for both)+$12.30 USPS.

Both items came from California, the mirrors ordered Friday, shipped Saturday, in hands Monday. The sproket was ordered on a Wednesday, and didn't come until today, the following Tuesday. Fedex site said it was coming Saturday, so I hung around all day waiting, and never showed. Many things I get on Amazon, mc related or not come USPS, always inexpensive, and fast.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:

An alternative to the KTM mirrors are the Double Take mirrors (http://www.doubletakemirror.com/)... I run these on my KLX and DR and LOVE them. Maybe not quite as "fancy" as the KTMs but enormously functional.

I wish the KLX had an easy to change front sprocket.. it uses a giant 27mm nut that's peened to stay put. My DR650 is like the CRF, though... three M6 bolts that are easy to deal with.

BTW, I saw a CRF this weekend at my Dirt Bike Instructor training class. We were teaching an actual class of real students, and a young guy showed up on a shiny new one. It was technically his mom's, but it sure is a pretty bike in person. With the stock exhaust, it was almost silent. Much quieter even than the KLX (we had a stock KLX there too).

Rob
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lurked on the KLX forum, and read the horror stories of the front sprocket. I'd like to hear a CRF ride by, only heard what it sounds like while riding. WTF, it's snowing again!
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Oh it gets even better. The stock chain is so short (it's a 106) that you can't actually get the sprocket off without removing the rear wheel, or at least, unbolting the rear sprocket. When my chain wears out and I go up to a 45T rear sprocket (42 stock) I'm gonna see if a 110 will fit so I have a little more room to play with.

When you see one ride by, pay CLOSE attention. It's so quiet that any other ambient noise will block it out. It's really that quiet! :)

Rob
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is not a lot of lateral force exerted on the countershaft sprocket. Many C/S sprockets are retained with circlips and allowed some lateral movement on the countershaft. Seven foot-pounds of torque is just enough to snug the bolts so they wont vibrate loose.

Spud :beer
  10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it, but a shipping charge of $18.95 for a C/S sprocket is a rip off. :(:

The Primary Drive C/S sprockets sold by Rocky Mountain ATV/MC are very good sprockets, and only cost $8.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/226/957/618/2105/Primary-Drive-Front-Sprocket

UPS shipping from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC costs only $7 for orders under $99, and is free for orders over $99. Customer service from RM ATV/MC is excellent; orders placed by 5 PM are shipped out the same day. Since I live in an adjacent state, any in-stock items I order from Monday through Thursday are received the very next afternoon. :D

If anyone is contemplating using either a 45T or 48T rear sprocket on his CRF250L, I highly recommend the Primary Drive rear sprockets for the XR650L, which cost $19.99. :deal

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/226/957/8729/2192/Primary-Drive-Rear-Steel-Sprocket

I use these rear sprockets on my 2005 XR650L, and they are excellent. :D The torque from the 650cc engine is very hard on rear sprockets, especially since the XR650L lacks a cush drive on the rear wheel. My PD rear sprockets always last the life of the drive chain. These sprockets are an excellent value. :deal

Spud :beer
  11. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, shipping was $10.77, the sprocket was $18.95. If I do decide to go with a 42t rear, probably use Rocky Mountain.
  12. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain doesn't seem to have a 42t to fit the CRF. The 13/42 means not messing with different chain chain/links. Not sure if anyone knows what rear sprocket from a popular other dirt/dualsport will bolt on. Ramz says a Sprocket Center 42 is bolt on. I think Sugardust said she was sent the wrong one, which they replaced, but can't remember the source. I just saw Sprocket Center has a JT 42t, which is $32 + $10 for custom drilling to fit CRF. Not sure of ship coast. Hey, that's $1 a tooth!
  13. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few weeks ago, I got new brake lines installed, so that could be the issue Maybe installed to tight, with not enough clearance? (Don't think so but I never checked my tail light after the install)

About a week later I also disconnected and removed my front blinkers. Rear blinkers flash erratically, but I did not mind, So that could be the issue. Thoughts on either?
  14. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you look at the rear brake pedal (not in the back, about the mid-way point), you'll see another spring that goes up to the brake light switch. There's a hole in the plastic plate thing which allows access to adjustment. Not sure which way the adjust has to go, just wing it.
  15. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it, No reason to think that removing the front turn signals had anything to do with it right?
  16. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't looked at the front brake switch, to see if there's adjustment, more likely to be the back, I've not removed turn signals, maybe someone else has.....
  17. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    I took my bike to offroad for the first time last sunday. Everything was great except one downside..

That thing is really not an easy one to pick up when fall aside.. :eek1
  18. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    I guess everything is relative, when you come from picking up a KTM 990 a few times the CRF feels like lifting air :deal
  19. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Any damage? Did you bend/brake any levers/shifters? Interested to hear how it handled the fall.
  20. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    Of course... :D

Seriously bent stock handlebar.. (this stuff is really peace of s*it!)
    Bent the brake pedal (deciding what to do with it, any update? if yes, to what?)

But everything was rebendable.. at least to ride back to the service for proper reshaping :rofl