Malles Motos - Dakar

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Trang, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    Well, after a bit of hunting around, i've had little success with finding information about the "Malles Motos" of Dakar.

What i do know is, that basically you enter the Dakar event as per any other compeditor, and effectivly pay around 500 euros extra, for the service of having 2 trunks (as per pic below), and 2 sets of tyres, transported around the event for you.

These trunks 'leapfrog' each other, for the duration of the event, and carry your spares, tools, sleeping gear etc.

This method enables you to do the event Marathon, with no service, backup crew etc., thus reducing cost etc.

[​IMG]

Link to video:
    http://player.sbs.com.au/dakar/#/dakar/highlights/highlights/playlist/This-is-Malles-Motos/

I'd really like to know some more information about this method of doing dakar, and what some of the logistics are.

For example, what can you pack in there?
    Can you pack a spare engine as per pic, or is this against the rules?

Either way, by the time you pack:
    - Spare Parts
    - Tools
    - Oil
    - Oil Filters
    - Air Filters
    - RB Highlighters
    - Spare Underwear
    - Socks
    - Sleeping Bag
    - Sleeping Mat (maybe this is a luxury?)
    - Tent
    - Toothbrush
    - etc.

... it wouldn't take long to fill.

And what about when you get back to base, and you really want a Chair or some Shade?

Should you pack a Warm Jumper/ Raincoat.

Where do you pack your Lollies, Gatoraide?

And your mobile phone, can you charge it somewhere?

I find this facinating.

:ear
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to mention making room for plenty

Attached Files:

3. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    I don't know how it is now, but I charged my phone by the ELF table while I worked on the bike. Also had a 12v charger on the bike.
    Shade is under one of the big tents where you get your food. You can sleep there too, or take a tent. I managed to sneak a tent and sleeping bag into the back of one of the mechanics vehicles from another competitor :D
  4. ThatCameraKid

ThatCameraKid Inside Man

Oddometer:
    When Simon Gets back from Dakar, I will take some pictures of his boxes.

He put and entire bike sans the main frame in a third box on The Desert Rose 4x4. Then he had a tent, oil filter for everyday, basic spares a few clothes items, bike stand, some oil (you get it free in the malles moto through elf)

It's impressive what you can get in one. You don't really need food stuffs as the organisers are good with that.
  5. Whoopdefraggindo

Whoopdefraggindo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I'm asking a lot but if you can get a shot with contents in the box, then laid out outside of the box that would be awesome to see how much can actually fit inside. Much respect to anyone who even enters the Dakar, but the people who do it with little to no support are tops in my book.

Oh Yeah, GO PAVEY.
  6. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boxes have a weight limit though, if I remember correctly...
  7. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Google "Bob Bergman Dakar" for his day by day account of a lone, unsupported Dakar run.
  8. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. MEGO

MEGO Africa Racer

Oddometer:
    In Dakar 2007 the box weight limit was 50 kgs. But maybe it was a limit due to the airplane transport.
    Maybe this limit could be higher now with the truck transport.

In Africa when a stage was "marathon" you could not have access to your box.

Sadly after 3/4 days the start order of spares... go wrong. And you got a box full "random" of items...:eek1

It's so difficult to store all the items you need just in one box...
    The "2 seconds" tent outside the box, it's not allowed...
    If you store some big engine parts, you've no more space for gatorade or other. Maybe in South America you could buy it directly at bivouac or at the city near. Not in Africa... But in winter you do not need so much salt in you camel back.

Not a lot of pants or jacket and when you see the "mud stage" think about maybe they could not change the items next day...
    Socket and slip could be same for many days...
    And same for tech shirt.

Dakar is not only a bike race...:lol3
  10. ThatCameraKid

ThatCameraKid Inside Man

Oddometer:
    The limit still sit's at 50kg for each box. And they have stopped doing Marathon stages now too. So people with assistance always have their mechanic. You know have to pay for you two boxes on the organisers truck too.
  11. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info. So malles moto is allowed spare engine(s) and marathon class not?

Are you allowed outside assitance from other competitors? How strict are they if you get a chain from somebody else or something?
  12. MEGO

MEGO Africa Racer

Oddometer:
    IMPORTANT: Each bikers got a box, also the Pros, if they want it. But the classement of the "Malles Motos" class is restricted to the riders who did not has mechanics on the race!

Marathon is another type of class. A FIM class. In Marathon (the bikes with M on the front number) the riders could not change some parts of the bike. If I remember: complete fork, mono cross and rear bigfork, chassis, engine case (not the in parts like clutch, gear etc., ) and I think no more.
    If you change one of this parts, you will be passed in the SP (Super production) class.
    In Africa, before the start of a "marathon" stage, FIM mans put "colours" on your wheels and check it in the night...
    During a stage (even if Marathon) you could change every bike parts with the same of your friends. Or with the spare parts you got in your T4 truck, who must be in the race...

The race rules could be more right on.:deal
  13. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    more info please.

1. About the motors.
    2. When they say tyres do they mean complete wheels or just tyres?
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

Yes, all competitors are allowed help from, and to help, other competitors... and in Malles Moto, it is pretty much in the spirit of things to help each other out...

Jx

ps. Just incase anyone was thinking about it, while Malles Moto is slightly cheaper, it is not an easy way to enter your first Dakar... x
  15. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Dankie Jenny

After seeing Mr. Merkits snipped on the Dakar broadcast I have to say it propably loooks "cooler" than it is.:D

I am good friends with Albert Hintenaus we ride together often and he said Desert rose is the best option, however $ as you know is my limiting factor.

Can one buy tyres and mooses from Euromaster?
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I think unless you really are a seasoned rally rider, going with an assistance team really gives you the best chance of a finish (or not in my case!), particularly for a first timer - so many things can go wrong, and having the expertise plus someone simply to take the pressure off once you get to the bivouac is a huge help...

Kemal and Si are old mastered at Dakar now, but while 'enjoyable' I doubt either of them would say it made things easy!

As for spare tyres, I presume Euromaster have some sort of supply, but it's going to be limited... Obviously most competitors who go with assistance will have their own stash on their assistance truck. Si Pavey has Patsy (Desert Rose) carry his spare tyres and mousses on their truck this year, and Patsy also did the fitting for him.

Jx
  17. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Agree about the seasoned riders knowing the ins and outs of bivoucs and orginisers. Unfortunately if $ is a problem then Malles Moto is the only option.
    I have been racing for a long time and been doing most maintenance myself.

However I suppose being dog tired and with so many things to do it won't be easy. At the moment just getting funds together and building a bike is not easy oh and then the little fact that I broke T3 cracked T4 and comressed T5 and T6 last year July isn't helping either at the moment.:D

However after my big crash I realised normal enduro's and offroad racing for 1 or 2 days is not what I want to do anymore. Whilst lying in a state hospital in NamibiA on a backboard in a neck brace and strapped to a backboard counting the light they rolled me past I realised that if I was gonna walk again or be paralised Dakar was either forever gone or I need to get there.

I was in Hospital for 5 days when I realised the human body is not so weak. I walked out with a back brace and went to work 10 days after my crash.

Why the long story, just an idea why I would like to do Malles Moto and Dakar so badly. Maybe for me 2012 will be here too soon to get all the $ together, but then 2013 hopefully.:clap
  18. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Hey Tau, it is your dream so don't let anyone put you off if Malles Motos is the way you want to go.:deal
    It's all about the journey and not necessarily about the destination!
    If it was just about the destination then why bother going round in a big circle to get back to BA!
    I guess you are on this 'Adventure Motorcycling Forum' for the journey and would find the satisfaction you deserve if you battle to the finish under 'mainly' your own steam!
    Good luck which ever year you decide to enter, just do your homework then enjoy the ride!:clap
  19. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Thx Barrier

Ja it looks like I might have to sell my HP2 to fund this expedition:eek1.

My Yz 450 is in the market as we speak. I only started DS riding begining 2009 with a GS 800 so taking it easier will hopefully help the cause. I have been racing from the age of 11. Mx and enduro's etc. I still don't believe this is waht Dakar is about, I assume it is about getting up from day 5 onwards and having to do hectic days after a hectic day.Making a plan to fix the unfixable understanding the French and then staying injury free. Riding a bike is important, but like somebody said the time spend trying to improve your ability should rather be used improving fitness and mechanical know how.

I need to do a couple of top end rebuilds with my local mac and valve setting tuition, I "can" do it, but not good enough.

After my good friend Albert finished 51st this year in Dakar I am in no way expecting a top 40. He is super fit and calm the perfect Dakar type. Had full Desert rose support and a 690 RR that gave him zero problems.

Like I have said If Malles moto is the only option then so be it. But first getting the $ together:rofl easier said than done.
  20. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Euromasters do not have ANY spare tyres or mousses etc, you use what you bring or buy off other competitors who no longer need them (this happens a lot actually)