The Mobius Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DR. Rock, May 23, 2008.

1. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    I've always figured that if your birthday falls on the 13th, it's your LUCKY number! When it falls on Friday, just too bad for everybody else, cause it's MY lucky day! :D Many Happy Returns of the Day, Dave!:clap:freaky
    Tell LDF to go easy on the candles! :lol3 :annie
  2. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday, Dave. :beer
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over last summer I pretty much stayed off the computer. My loss as I missed your passing through Nelson. Had I kept track of your progress I could have guided you on some dirt as a substitute for some of the blacktop between Nelson and Salmo. No point saying I'll do better next time as I doubt you'll by this way anytime soon.

The sign at Gray Creek Pass stated as fully open July 1st. Well not in 2011 it wasn't. The snow didn't clear the pass until July 17th. And then the road on the west side was closed again for repairs. Here's where you commented on the "jersey" barriers: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16790345&postcount=119 , I'm used to hearing them called "no-goes" .

I'd say you stayed at the best hotel In Nelson.

And a nitpick re "glad to be back in mpg". Officially we're supposed to measure fuel consumption in L/100km, most people still refer to mpg. Canada went metric in the late 1970s. Something about a mouse next to an elephant.
  4. kl Richard

kl Richard This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks David, I'll be in touch with you when we've got things in order!!! BTW Have Fun!!??
  5. La Donna Fugata

La Donna Fugata You're not the boss of me

Oddometer:
    Brian,

When you have your plans in place we must make arrangements to meet again. We would sure love to see and host you and meet your wife.

Keep us posted on the details.

All the best

Regards,

Francine
  6. rugbyrtcwka

rugbyrtcwka railroader

Oddometer:
    I've been following your Mobius since day one. Every time I read one of your RR's I feel like I've gone on vacation with you two. I'll continue to follow your progress in hopes that you roll towards Winnipeg and Northern Ontario some day. Then I'll not only get a chance to meet you, My wife and I would be happy to put you up in our beach house as a base for exploring that area on the bikes if you so choose.

I'm not a dual sporter, but you've inspired me to take a few trips of my own on my pavement pounder and I wanted to thank you for that too. I try to write my RR's with the same flare and humor you do but, comparitively, my RR's don't hold a candle to yours.

Keep up the great work! you've developed a large fan base. I can't wait till you decide to make a book out of it. I'll be the first in line at thte book store.:clap
  7. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    for sharing your ride.

[​IMG]

that there is a lot of lenses :D
  8. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DR. Rock: I'm sure you're already checking threads for south eastern Oregon ride ideas. Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents. Leslie gulch south of Ontario is an amazing place. Willow Hot Springs is a great place to camp and soak for a night. Of course the Steens Mountain is an awesome place. I rode those areas in the RR in my sig line in 2010 and also rode them again this year. Haven't started that RR yet. I can shoot you some GPS tracks if any of them might help. Make sure you don't mis Wachs RR's and Hodakaguy's RR's. They are inspiring!
  9. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

David/Francine,

For more OR info, touch base with inmates Brad21 or Wachs. They are friends of mine from Bend OR who have traveled SE OR extensively, especially Wachs (cofounder of Giant Loop). Dave probably knows every drinking water & gas source out there. Brad will have GPS tracks. There are few other folks out there worth talking to. See them all at www.benddualsport.com.
  10. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like many I've been enjoying your report and pichures! Thx so much for taking the time:clap. The picture from your last day at the bottom of post 3252 of the lake and mountains with the reflection from the lake is fantabulous!!! I would love to make a print of that. Just STUNNING
    :eek2
  11. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great so far, only on page 150 out of 315 but really enjoying ur trip. New to ADV, sorry I missed you when up in NW Washington. Scooter hr is a KLR650 which a few of us terrorize the local forest service roads and such in the Skagit
    Valley. Have to laught at LDH's fear of bears, my wife has the same fear and she grew up here in the Northwet. My solution, which is not an option in NYC, is to carry my bear repellent (i.e. 357 or 44 mag handguns). Gives her the sense of security but when stored in my backpack, wouldn't be much use in an emergency :wink:.
  12. stereo john

stereo john Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Borg?
  13. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, new to Mobius, but really enjoying it. Just finished IV, you gave me a new appreciation for where I live, 70 miles north of Seattle. Living up here I had begun to take our awesome scenery for granted and didn't appreciate it, I now am going to look at it differently from now on. Looking forward to going through the rest of your adventure. Been riding dual-sports since 2007 but just found out about ADV. Been spending my time on the KLR boards.

Ron Kelm
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
  14. 11Bones

11Bones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why can't I jump from page 315 to 316:cry, I need my Mobius fix.:deal
  15. 11Bones

11Bones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well hum, I fixed it all by my self:clap
  16. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's a bug in the forum software.
  17. rugbyrtcwka

rugbyrtcwka railroader

Oddometer:
    Resisting this road report is futile! :lol3
  18. SteelRain

SteelRain Beer Cooled

Oddometer:
    What kind of mount is that? Any place to buy one or is it homemade? If homemade any directions?

I love this thread, but never noticed that mount before. I want one!
  19. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    :lol3 VERY homemade. It's an upsidedown doorstop cut down to the right angle, and the Contour helmet mount. I cut a couple slots in the visor, and use the velcro straps to snug it down.

More information than you could ever want about helmetcam tips & tricks here at Motojournalism, courtesy of Anthony (thanks so much for the scarves!) the inmate formerly known as Antontrax.
  20. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave and Francine
    As we drove home from California - passing through some of the projected Mobius 9 topography - I thought many times "what a great ride those guys are gonna have"! Just beautiful country.
    Would I love to tag along again or what!!!
    Sadly, a long way from home. I'll just dream on. :cry
    Cheers
    Ron