RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott 259

scott 259 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Noah, look forward to your reports! Ride safe.

2011 690R
  2. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Just make sure you don't put any "heavy ones" on the back and you'll be just fine....but just in case, you got a spare set. Life is indeed good.
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Very smart approach doing Canada, AK, the US then a break at home to sort things out before taking the EURO/Russia/Mongolia plunge! :clap
    S' funny, KTM are a major producer of radiators. (VW, BMW, Triumph bikes et al)
    I am very skeptical this product. It may EAT your chain prematurely before it ever wears out. Countershaft sprockets are cheaper than X ring chains. DID are the best! Keep an eye on things. One of the most common RTW traveler problems: shot chain/sprockets.
    Good move ... i've caught my lower leg under a pannier off road ... Not good, hurts like Hell. Curious ... Did you have to do any custom reinforcement of your sub frame area to carry the Zega hard bags and duffel bags up top? When I rode a 690 a few years back ... I looked and saw NO sub frame at all ... so how does that work? Fantastic idea on the inner cloth bags. I do the same. Only way to fly. Keeps your stuff clean, makes packing/unpacking fast, easy. :thumb

What (or who) is "RR"?
    OK for back to back 10 hour riding days?
    Not sure how much camping you'll do in Latin America or Asia. I've traveled some in both (7 years in Latin America) and rarely camped ... ever. Too many people and not always safe. Mexico and Cent. America really not great camping ... but parts of S. America are OK, like S. Chile and Argentina. (Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego)
    Will get MUCH hotter in Southern latitudes ... but humidity is what will get you. But you'll figure all that out.
    For now ... you really should have a GERBING jacket (never a vest) for AK, Canada and later in Russia -Mongolia. Life Saver. ( and maybe a low draw HID headlight, 35 watts instead of 55w and 3 times as bright ... DDM Tuning.com) I've run one for a year no ... never go back to standard headlight.
    Can you walk in them all day? Maybe walk around shoes?

All the best, hope the crappy Spring weather improves. Rain riding gets old! Hang in, stay warm and safe. (can you spell G E R B I N G ? :D )
  4. Liebchen & Izzy

Liebchen & Izzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ill keep track but I'm not sure if we will cross paths in AK or in route,ill be headed back up the end of may. i might be able to hook u up with a place to stay:freaky and some route info in AK. You might be cutting it close for snow boarding up here when you arrive its been a warm spring.:ear
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That is one hell of a route Noah, you are in for the experience of a life time!

Very nice bike and gear setup as well.

One tip for your Shoei Hornet, get the pinlock visor insert and fogging up won't be a problem any more. You can get either get the universal version and drill two holes for the plastic pins in your current visor, or you can buy a new visor that comes with them installed. All European Hornet's have them stock.
  6. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :clap

Let me know if you need a place to stay in NY when you get around this way.

Safe travels! :freaky
  7. POLPO

POLPO In Italy is Octopus.

Oddometer:
    Ciao, I'm Massimo "Polpo", I live in Torino, north Italy, whatever you need when you'll be in Italy, just call me,
    347 424 11 10

Ciao.

Polpo.

P.S. One day is gonna be my turn for the RTW.
  8. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found your thread. I remember you said you were doing a trip, didn't know it was this ambitious! Any idea which set of passenger pegs you mounted? Would be cool to know that my passenger pegs were traveling the world! :D

Have a great trip, subscribed.
  9. DirtRideRoader

DirtRideRoader Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a trip!

Look forward to reading about your adventures.

Good luck and be safe.
  10. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone offering advice and well wishes. There are still some issues I am working out on the road... But that is half the fun. Today I am trying to find the rattle in my dash.

I am in Bend Oregon until Thursday morning then I am headed back to the coast to start going north again.
  11. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember. lets say i used one of each :D
  12. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    This one is a lot to tackle.. here it goes.

I broke my radiator tipping the bike over at a dead stop in the desert. I could not find an aftermarket so I replaced it and needed protection.

I have friends that swear by the the dirt tricks products. Time will tell.

The subframe is the gastank. I have replaced the problematic bolts with the RR (RallyRaid products) bolts. The pannier racks bolt to the foot peg mount and should handle the weight.

I'm looking into a Gerbing jacket.

The seat is comfortable but what ktm is 10 hour comfortable?. I stand up a lot of the time to switch up the riding position.. so 10 hours isn't bad.

The SIDIs are pretty comfortable all day. I do have a pair of walk around shoes for the destination.

As for the humidity, It will be interesting to see what the Klim gear will do.

And camping. I have the gear for when i need it. I figure its a much about survival if you get caught in a storm or something and you need shelter. I have not camped yet on this trip because of the wet. Even though i have been sleeping in the sleeping bag at sketchy hotels where i don't trust the bed.

I think that was everything.
  13. lukeman

lukeman Cool Hand

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. I'm super jealous. The bike looks great, looks like you're going through Quebec, its some great riding up there.

Cheers.
  14. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have friends in Anchorage. I would love route info. Hopefully the roads are clear and the mountains still have snow :D
  15. Jeckylll

Jeckylll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't tell by your route if you were going to be in/near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. But if you get in trouble near here or need a place to crash I would be happy to help.

I am the part owner of a New shop DaD's Cycle and Sled shop and we can get you help 24hrs a day :)
  16. AK Smitty

AK Smitty Self life coach

Oddometer:
    Im in.

Epic winter here in AK. Should be plenty of snow when you get here. On your way to Anchorage I would detour to Valdez. It will blow you mind but you will have to hike for turns or bum a ride with a snowmobiler. Alyeska Resort may be on weekend operation by the time you get here.

PM me up if you need anything or for a beer, I am in Anchorage.

Safe travels
  17. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Hey, if you need anything we are here in Bend! Did you get any of that spring Bachelor pow on saturday? Wooo hooo! :lol3

Dave
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Solid decision, probably outlast the bike. :deal

Back to :lurk , jealous.
  19. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    We found some hidden stash yesterday.
  20. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Excellent - Been up there too much the last week and took sunday off - TO MOTO! :clap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.