TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Have the dealer install the 2011 map if you want to insure the warranty is kept. Stock 2011 map is an improvement over what you have now.
  2. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    not anyone willing to share a map for a fellow adventurer? might be the case.. :freaky

well perhaps anyone can contribute with this one..

when you accelerate hard can you hear a metallic rattle coming perhaps from the valves which settles down after you keep the trottle steady at some specific rpm?

I'm afraid that this sound is probably pinging coming from detonation from starvation. With the akrapovic map is a little less but it's there.
  3. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    What year model is your bike ?

I am running a '07-'09 hybrid map with my stock air filter and have good feedback on that. Many people here have used the Powertripp maps '09 i believe with good results.

Have you had a look at the TuneECU map download page ?
  4. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got something similar going on, so I'm :ear.
  5. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi thanks for your answer, i was recently using shootis map but after installing an itg filter i seem to have these results. It happens with the akrapovic map as well.

Now i don't know if it is something that was always there but the old plastic box sealed the noise away or is something that it isn't supposed to happen. It came after installing an itg filter. Perhaps it might be ok but if there is an cpr/itg filter user that experiences the same please let me know.

My bike is an euro 07 model.
  6. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    i made a clip so you might get a better idea. Notice the high pitch sound when accelerating.

http://youtu.be/wZWHgLOdLKQ
  7. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    The guy that tuned my bike heard that too. He played around with the mapping to see if it was detonation but in the end, decided it was the cam chain.

8. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    Yep, mine's the same. I could hear it before my airbox came off though. It started doing it when I was out west last year and happened after my bike was running terribly. The bike quit running rough after I changed a very dirty air filter, except for intermittently, and given the condition of my fuel pump filters as I saw in my recent fixes to the bike, I can see why it ran rough sometimes. But the high pitched rattle is still there.
  9. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    well, thank god i'm relieved that my engine won't blow up just in my face :rofl

perhaps i should stay positive and just enjoy the benefits.. the power is overwhelming now

thanks o.c, you're the best..!
  10. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think we are both ok. I wish the sound would go away, but I've quit being anxious about it.
  11. felixblack1

felixblack1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, 2008 990 Adv S with stock EU fuel map running stock exhaust (hopefully not for too much longer:ear). I've recently adjusted my secondary butterflies to minium 25% opening in an attempt to fix the snatchy throttle issue. It's helped a little but I don't think it's the right way to fix it. I've read this entire thread and have seen the occasional reccomendation to load the later fuel maps and also power-trips fuel map. Those with 06-08 bikes that have done this have you found this to help? Have any chucked a wideband on/put it on the dyno to see how the motor is coping with these richer maps? I'm worried with our mismatched cams and ignition maps the motor will be running too rich. Has anyone had a custom tune for the 06-08 990s that they are willing to send me?
  12. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried yesterday tripp's map and the bike wouldn't even start. For our bikes (pre 09 models) the best way to go in my opinion is with shootis map. Or perhaps with a custom map from a tuner..

For your problem i fixed the snatchy throttle by purchasing the oval second butterflies.
  13. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Mine's also a Euro '07 "S" model and i have a hint of that sound coming, but thats just the cam chains as i understood.

The powertripp map is tuned for the newer motors with much more ignition advance and different cams. I tried copying the map cells over to my '07 stock map while leaving the ignition maps stock but then i guessed that it would be running un-necessarily rich and might even lead to bad running as i'll be left with stock ignition timing so i didn't load the map. I'm now using a '07-'09 Hybrid map with good results in the power delivery and unchanged mileage.

Still waiting to find a capable dyno tuner to take my bike with TuneECU and tune the bike while monitoring AFR for best results (power & mileage)
  14. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, just double checking on something in TuneEcu here. When we check the box for 02 sensors, or secondary throttles, or SAS, etc, that means it's enabled or active, right? When the box is unchecked, or clear, that means those items are shut off or inactive?

Thanks folks...
  15. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Yep, thats right.
  16. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okeee Dokee, thanks! Also, I loaded up my first modified map tonight, and the starter wouldn't activate......I went back to the original map, and it fired right up. As I looked things over, I found that on my modified map, I didn't have the "idle speed control" box checked. I went ahead and checked it, then re-downloaded the map. She fired right up, did the 15 minute deal, and I went and rode it around. I went from an early KTM akra map, to a modified Shootis map. I added 25% opening of the secondary butterflies from the bottom RPM, gradually increasing through the RPM and throttle position. I changed the FL switch to "0" at 2000 RPM and over. It's definitely smoother on the bottom end, but I think I lost some mid range power in favor of MPG. I've still got a lot to play with, as it's still herky jerky on the bottom, but it is substantially less than the akra map, and deceleration is less abrupt.

~D
  17. trickster

trickster Greek n00b

Oddometer:
    That's the attitude! If you come up with some good results please do share. I have found that shootis map is running a bit rich in high rpm comparing to the akrapovic map. In the following days i will give a try to decrease the fueling with threshold the akrapovic ones..
  18. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks my man! I still want to try the akra and stock 07' map from the Tune Ecu site just to see how they run on my bike. I still agree with Tahoeacr in that on deceleration, theres too much fuel, and once you crack open the throttle a bit to add a little air, we get a big combustion leading to the jerking. The problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to modify the fuel to decrease it when I want. Part of me wants to try decreasing the fuel on the L-map under low map (high vacuum), low RPM and low throttle position. I do love how easy and quick it is to make changes with Tune Ecu. It's freaking snowing today, and my wife just had surgery yesterday, so no playing today :(:
  19. Reese

Reese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well so much for that. I got impatient and loaded the 2011/12 map (KM601US1102001Map.hex) on my 2010. Looks like the 2009 map was on there from the factory.

I used the CJ Designs Tune Ecu Cables For KTM Engines with 32-bit Windows 8. The cable was recognized with the correct driver version. No driver download needed.

Bike was on center stand and ambient temperature was just above 0C.

Here's the order that I did things in for my own reference later on...

01. Set COM3 speed to 921600 and flow control to Xon/Xoff (all other settings left at default)
    02. Connected battery tender jr. and waited for solid green light
    03. Removed 15AMP headlight fuse
    04. Removed seat
    05. Removed two screws from where the tool kit sits and removed plastic cover
    06. Pulled out wiring bundle and removed from the cap from the connector that looked like it would fit the cable
    07. Connected cable to bike and laptop
    08. Turned ignition on
    09. Started TuneECU and selected ECU > Connect and verified green light in lower-right of TuneECU
    10. Selected ECU > Read Map and waited about 3 minutes for map to load from bike
    11. Selected File > Save Map File and saved as KM601US0902001Map.hex
    12. Selected Diagnostics button and took a screenshot - TPS @ 3% and 0.79V
    13. Selected ECU > Download
    14. Selected KM601US1102001Map.hex that I had previously downloaded from TuneECU site
    15. Accepted warning about destroying the engine and waited about 10 seconds for ECU to receive new map
    16. Received confirmation that download was completed
    17. Selected ECU > Disconnect
    18. Closed TuneECU and disconnected USB cable from laptop
    19. Started engine
    20. Opened http://timer.onlineclock.net and selected 15 minutes (did this within about 5 seconds of starting engine)
    21. Let idle while keeping an eye on temperature (fan cycled on/off starting at about 10 minutes in)
    22. Turned ignition off after 15 minutes
    23. Connected USB cable to laptop
    24. Turned ignition on
    25. Started TuneECU and selected ECU > Connect and verified green light in lower-right of TuneECU
    26. Selected Diagnostics button and took a screenshot - TPS @ 0% and 0.67V
    27. Turned off ignition, disconnected cable from bike, and re-assembled

I haven't had a chance to take the bike for a ride yet and probably won't until tomorrow. I thought I had read that the TPS voltage should be 0.66 when cold so I was concerned about the 0.79 reading. Then I saw 0.67 when hot and thought maybe I had hot/cold reversed in my head. I hadn't planned on making any TPS adjustments today.

Here are the before and after screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Korruptio

Korruptio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So does anyone has this shootis map available? I PM'd him some couple days ago but I havent got reply yet.