Thoughts on a Hodaka

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by lilsmokey, Nov 13, 2012.

1. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey ya'll.

I have been given the chance to buy myself a ugly old Hodaka (Combat wombat?) 125cc for $250. I have known the owner of the bike for a few years now (Trough motocross) and i have seen the bike run once or twice. For it to run it needs the carb cleaned, gas lines and some rust cleaned out of the tank. All stuff i have done on a few bikes in the past (KE100, KE125, XL500 etc...) so I am not troubled by that bit. For the bike to ride it needs a clutch cable some time in the near future and some brake work. Other than that it only needs cosmetics. At the bottom of the thread ill post the add so you all can check it out. Tell me what you guys thing about it.
    also are there many Hodaka collectors left in the world today or have they all died along with the bikes?

Thanks everyone.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3351190421.html

Hodaka 125cc, average shape, looks to be pretty complete, engine turns smoothly. It's been sitting for awhile, should be an easy project for someone with basic skills. Rare bike.

No title, dirt only.

$295

XXX-XXX-XXXX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Looks like an ideal low-impact low-cost get-er-running project. If you like it, go for it!
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like a 125 wombat to me - 76ish. definitely not a combat wombat. price is right.
  4. lilsmokey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looks close to me :D
  5. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 77 Hodaka Wombat 125 exactly like that. As a kid I had a Road Toad 100. Go to http://strictlyhodaka.com/ Paul will be your new friend. That can be made street legal, Mine was. Hodaka's were all imported into a small town here in Oregon. They are fun easy to workon little bikes.
  6. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always liked Hodaka's,most decent examples are over priced as hell though.

They were good little bikes when new but they just aren't worth 3x what a comparable Suzuki or Yamaha brings.
  7. lilsmokey

Oddometer:
    Ok ive been talking to the kid that ownes it. It needs points and he says they are a bitch to put in. Is that correct?

Thanks for the thoughts and info guys. Ill get more pictures when i can.
  8. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is nothing more difficult on that bike than any other. the transmissions are a bit fiddly, but aside from that it's just a regular old dirt bike.
  9. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I've got a Road Toad, and while I can't say I love changing the points, it's not a big deal at all. Otherwise, I'd say it's a really fun little bike. Modern bike will of couse, smoke it, but still, it constantly amazes me what it'll do.
  10. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed the points and condesor on my 77 and it wasn't that bad. If you dont want to take the motor out the easiest way is to remove the gas tank and battery and just lay the bike on its side to solder them in. Cake.
  11. lilsmokey

Oddometer:
    I have never changed points on a dirtbike. Can i have a picture or 2 of your new points and where they are?
  12. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hodaka's are cool. If you need stuff for the Wombat, go here: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/

You can make them really work with some stuff they have.

Hodie Ho!
  13. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Points are under the flywheel condensor is there also. Change both while your in there. The parts are cheap. I dont have any pics of it. Strictly Hodaka has manuals for sale.