Possible to make a Ducati Sportclassic comfortable?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by optimum_malarky, Jan 2, 2011.

1. lousgoose

lousgoose Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really depends on what your purpose for the bike is. Just for in-town riding only and such, yes, the SC is a sexy beast, but it's limited greatly in other applications. Warts and all, the GT is absolutely the best motorcycle I've ever owned and truly the best all around street going bike I've ever driven. Get the GT, you will not be disappointed. I have touring bars, Hepco-Becker luggage, touring shield, comfort seat, steering damper, and Termis. I can basically go anywhere anytime on mine. No offense, I've driven the Bonnies and Thruxtons - great and fine motorcycles - but except for the retro moniker they share, these bikes do not even belong in the same comparison class with the GT. You can find a barely used GT for less money than a new Bonnie, and you'll get way more motor, better chasis, better brakes, more comfort, capability, and character. But obviously, I've got a bias streak about a mile wide :norton
  2. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would stay away from the GT unless you plan on replacing the suspension. It is about the cheapest setup on any modern Ducati. You can put helibars on the SC that pull the bars back about an inch, raise them a bit and change the angle (the really bad part about any ducati stock bars). You can also pull the pins in the stock bars and raise them up about 3/4". I passed up a new Paul Smart back in 2007 and am still kicking myself. Get the newest duck you can afford, more reliable and a greater parts availability.
  3. runpasthefence

runpasthefence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went through this very same issue and ended up buying a 2009 Sport 1000s.

I'd read all of the reviews and opinions that said the bike is a torture rack. This is my second road bike, and my first was a modern Triumph Bonneville.

First, keep in mind I'm 25 years old, 5'8", and have a 29" inseam.

So, I finally made up my mind that I'd jump in head first and buy one without riding or sitting on one. The bike was delivered almost a month ago while I was still overseas.

Anyway, I've been riding the bike for a few weeks and I'm happily surprised how comfortable I am on it. I'd bought taller clip on risers and 7* handle bars because I was anticipating an extremely uncomfortable riding position, but I still haven't put them on. I will eventually put the risers on, but I could totally live with the current riding position.

I find the seat uncomfortable. It is unreasonably wide, making the bike feel much taller than it already is. Having a 29" inseam makes this a pain at stop lights, but I'll likely have a custom seat made soon. Of course, if you aren't short you likely won't notice it.
    Also, the seat is awful for two up riding...another reason I'll be making a custom one.

Another comfort issue for me is power delivery. There are solutions here, but I find the throttle unreasonably snatchy. This can be hard on the hands, wrists, and crotch as if you're not used to the nature of the throttle your junk will likely be forced into the tank under unexpected rapid deceleration.

On the Sport vs. GT argument....go with what turns you on. The GT didn't do it for me either. I like the fuel tank, clip ons, seat, and fairing on my 1000s better than any GT I'd seen. Furthermore, GTs come with steel wheels and coming from a Bonneville, that was something that I was trying to avoid.
    The naked Sport1000 has a lot of options for raising the clip ons or even adding a true handlebar like the GT. The Paul Smart and 1000s models have limited room for adjustment due to the fairing.

My 1000s is exactly what I wanted and better (more comfortable) than I expected. Of course, your best bet is to find one and ride one. I'm not sure how I could justify a Sport 1000 with a Triple in the stable either...I'd imagine the Triple is more comfy and a better performer to boot.

...and because everyone likes pics even if they're iphone quality

[​IMG]
  4. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    I am convinced that any bike if it moves you enough, can be made comfortable.
  5. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    What is a good source for locating a late model sport 1000? (besides craigslist)
  6. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    ducati.ms?
  7. OBCPO

OBCPO n00b

Oddometer:
  8. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:

LOL, been there, done that!
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly where I was. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Thruxton and swap in a 270 crank motor from a Scrambler or Speedmaster and then build up the motor for more power. But it takes some $$$ just to get into the 75 hp range. After renting one and putting 250 miles on it I realized I wanted more. It's a pretty capable bike in stock form, but to get it where I wanted (power, suspension, brakes,) was going to take quite a bit of $$$ kicking it up into another price bracket and I was still going to have a 5 speed transmission no matter what.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after the ride I looked around some more and decided the Ducati Sport 1000 was the way to go, nearly perfect in stock form...... except the bars.

Here's the bike I ended up buying, it's a 2009.

[​IMG]

So I've been looking for solutions. I'm thinking to go with Convertibars adjustable clipons. What I like about these compared to the tube bar solution is the massive adjustability. I've been down the road of trying to find bars with just the right bend before. One of the key features on the Convertibars I like is the ability to adjust the angle of the bars using the special angled bore collet and altering the position front to rear in addition to the height.

[​IMG]

Here's a pretty good video of them on YouTube.

Here's what they look like on a Sport 1000

[​IMG]

SpeedyMoto also makes their Tall Boy clipons which I believe add about 1" in height over the SC 1000 clipons (which are about 2" taller than the S model) and do offer angle adjustment.

[​IMG]

The other option you have is to either modify the top triple clamp to accept the GT1000 bar risers or buy a top triple clamp and risers from a GT1000 and go with a tubular handlebar like this GT.

[​IMG]

Here's a Sport 1000 I found with the tube bar conversion which inspired me to purchase this bike.

[​IMG]

I plan to add a small flyscreen like the on the bike above.

The thing is, if you like the Cafe Racer style this bike is very hard to beat overall. The engine is fabulous, the suspension is modern, and it looks like sex on wheels.

If you want even better suspension it's an easy upgrade and won't look out of place on the bike. My bike has the fully adjustable forks off a Monster which slip right in. There are several triple clamps on the market to allow you to upgrade to later Ducati or Ohlins forks if you want and several options for the rear shocks. You can lace in some Alpina tubeless rims and you're right in there with current tech.
  10. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sport 1000 with the bars is a stunner.
  11. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    This is the bike BMW was trying to beat with the NineT. The Ducati looks light years better.
  12. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Now if they just had a scrambler version...
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to go this route and use the GT tube bar setup.
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the bike BMW is trying to pursue with the NineT is the Moto Guzzi Griso.

[​IMG]

Which also looks light years better.
  15. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Which BTW is why I'm so glad I held onto the S2R. The proportions are nearly identical.
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right, and good choice.

[​IMG]

I'd much rather have that than the BMW NineT.
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completed my handlebar swap last weekend, and yes, now my sport classic is comfortable.

Here's the original handlebar setup with clipons.

[​IMG]

And here's the new setup using the top triple clamp and riser post parts from a GT1000. The handlebar itself is a EMGO super bike bend 23-12571

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did machine a 0.60" tall aluminum spacer to raise the stock clamps up a bit to make it "just right" for me. I prototyped the spacer height using a stack of washers to see what I preferred and what the cables would allow. I have not changed out any cables or hoses but this is about the max you can go on height with the stock cables/hoses. The throttle cables are the limiting factor. I think the GT1000 cables are longer if you want to go higher, the next limit would be the clutch hose.

[​IMG]
  18. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks great!
  19. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    That's a stunner.