TomTom Rider

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by harleymac1, Mar 10, 2013.

1. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What does anyone know about the new release of the TomTom Rider? I have read press releases and have been trying to locate where I can purchase one. Is this available in the US or was this only in the UK?
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I thought TomTom was out of the consumer gps market? Last I heard, they were concentrating on units mounted as OE in cars.
  3. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    I don't think it's been released in the states yet. Should be available pretty soon if it's already on sale in Europe.
  5. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    stevie88, would like for them to get some kind of info out. I am definitely interested in this as I am not excited about dropping over 6 bills for a Garmin. Hope they at least let us know what is up soon.
  6. stevie99

Oddometer:
    It's slated for a spring release.:deal
  7. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    i hope their got the bugs out

the last one still drives me crazy

tt rider 2

cheers
  8. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's listed on Amazon for sale now at $389, but says it's out of stock and there's not much info on it. If you place an order they'll contact you when they know its availability and not charge you until it ships. I put one in my shopping cart, but haven't bit on ordering it yet. It sure offers a lot of nice features for much less than any Zumo. If it actually works I like the "plan winding route" feature.
  9. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doug Pirahna, it does sound like a really nice feature set. I am a little disappointed by the price as the articles said a $299 release here. Of course we are talking about the media too. On the other hand, it is still much less than the lowest priced Garmin that is tagged for motorcycles.
  10. noyooper

noyooper American Idiot

Oddometer:
    I contacted Tomtom and their response is availability from retailers in April. They also plan a U.S Rider Web site which will correspond with availability. Amazon is probably aware of pent-up demand for a lower-cost MC GPS, hence ofering it on their site. I bit and ordered one and will inform all once I hear about shipping. FWIW, I have or have owned Tomtom, Zumo 550 and Lowrance GPS's for use on my motorcycles. I'm not an off-road adventurer (I do ride off-road though) so I have no use for a device with topo maps/etc where I ride here in the U.P. For the 90% Road riding I do this will suffice. As far as customer support and ease of use I have had good success with Tomtom's products.
  11. Doug Piranha

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear about your good experience with TomTom, I've never owned one. I also went ahead and ordered one from Amazon last night after talking to one of their customer service people. I had actually sold them my Zumo 450 and a crappy Motorola running GPS, something I didn't know Amazon did. I've liked the Garmin units I've owned, but come on, their prices are getting ridiculous on the bike GPS', likely because they haven't had any US competition for a while.
  12. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Amazon now says these will "usually ship within 3 to 5 weeks".:clap
  13. Doug Piranha

Oddometer:
    I received and email from Amazon last night saying an estimated delivery date of May 15-22nd.
  14. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you gents. I will make my purchase soon. Please let us know your thoughts when you get it. Also, the Amazon ad is vague. Please advise what comes in the box, i.e. mount, battery lead, etc.
  15. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    While its possible to outline a trip plan using the GPS itself or by using the trip-planning features on TomTom's Web site, has TomTom developed any offline desktop trip-planning software to go with it?

daryl
  16. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Daryl,

I think the new Rider comes with the Tyre desktop software for trip planning. Only runs on Windows. Tomtom didn't develop the software themselves, but have a deal with the creator to provide it.
  17. AlecMyrddyn

Oddometer:
    Hi harleymac;

I've got one on pre-order from Amazon as well, and will post a review as soon as it arrives and I've had a chance to test it.

The Rider version for sale to the US on Amazon right now has:

• The Rider unit.
    • Short RAM mount with U bolt for attachment to handlebars.
    • Powered dock.
    • Power cable for hardwiring to bike power.
    • USB home charger.
    There's a deluxe "Premium Pack" version that also includes:

• A car mounting kit (suction cup powered dock & cigarette lighter power cord).
    • An anti theft solution (a lock for the powered dock and a lockable replacement for the wingnut on the ram-mount)
    • A carrying case.
    I haven't seen pricing or availability on the premium pack or the ability to order the anti theft solution separately in the US yet. The anti theft solution is available to direct order for customers in England directly from TomTom for £69.99.

Look at post 8 in this thread on TomTom's discussion forum to see images from the manual as to what comes in the boxes.

-Alec
  18. harleymac1

harleymac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alec. Now the question, at least for me, is what headset I can use with the Rider. This link only shows Cardo Scala Rider models as well as Interphone. I have really been leaning towards an Autocom system as they have about the clearest sound I have heard. Hopefully I can still go this route and have the GPS and phone available in helmet.

Anyone out there have previous experience using an Autocom with the older versions of the Rider?
  19. AlecMyrddyn

Oddometer:
    I *believe* the new Rider uses an HFP/HSP Bluetooth Profile to link to a helmet headset for phone calls and spoken directions. But I can't even confirm that in the manual.

I don't see anything indicating it has an audio-in/out port to hard-wire to an Autocom unit, OR even a built-in speaker... ? I suspect it has neither, and the Car Dock has a build in speaker for if you choose to use the GPS in your car as well.

*If* the above is correct, you'll need an Autocom Bluetooth unit for the TomTom Rider to talk to the Autocom.

I have a Sena SMH10 on my helmet, and I'm sure that the Rider will talk to it using HFP/HSP to deliver spoken directions and its Cell Phone capabilities.

-Alec
  20. AlecMyrddyn

Oddometer: