Suggestions on 1190 exhaust options?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Babatad, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Daveman

Daveman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did you get it at that price (570)? On the mail I received it was 598 for the exhaust + another 20 for shipping
  2. Tjeu

Tjeu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've payed 58 for shipping, but no taxes.
  3. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wings are not a spin off of an Akra. I had Akras on my 950 and I really linked them but the wings are nicer quality.
  4. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of HIS Majesty's Tax Collectors
    The same reason as to why an Aston Martin exhaust is dearer than a Ford.
  5. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    :nono or at least I dont agree :D
    Again: I've got TWO titanium/carbon Wings for my 990 at the same price you guys are getting ONE
    1190 exhausts are quite expensive for a single can
  6. TakSD

TakSD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously the prices of exhausts, and most ktm parts for that matter, are not driven by r&d or manufacturing costs. It is simply demand, supply, competition and our tolerance...
  7. Wonway

Wonway KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer:
    I installed the Arrow Race headers today and thought I would share some pictures and information. The install was pretty straight-forward and everything fit very well. I am very happy with the quality of the Arrow and Wings slip on. Here are some pictures:

As I said above, the Arrow pipes do not come with a rear cylinder downtube. You will have to use the factory one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also recorded the sound with and without the stock headers. At idle it sounds about the same but with a bit of throttle the volume definitely increases. You can see it on the decibel meter. The test is not very accurate as it is in an enclosed building but you can see the comparison. The long DB killer with spark arrestor was installed in both tests. The only difference is the front pipes.

Video here: http://youtu.be/zkK2tmHoYGM
  8. Dualsport Crazy

Dualsport Crazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wonway & greatly appreciate you posting pictures & the YT video:clap

A few questions for you please:

a) Did you have to re-map after installing the headers & what was the difference when you took it for a ride.

b) Any issues with the fitment of the wings shorty to the arrow headers

If your gonna get it on dyno please share the results.

Cheers....:freaky:ricky
  9. Wonway

Wonway KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer:
    A) Unfortunately I will not be able to ride it to test it for a while due to weather but I did not notice any big difference in throttle response with the new pipe. It is louder and has a meaner tone but no major difference. After consulting with a couple of tuning guru's they said it will be fine to run as-is without a change of tuning (There are no tuning options yet AFAIK). The consensus is that the tune shouldn't change much because of the header is it is the same length and size. The slip on probably made more of a difference than the header. So that is my story and I'm sticking to it :D. I do intend on doing a Dyno run once break in is complete but unfortunately the weather here has been absolutely terrible. Frigid temps, snow and a whole lot of rock salt on the roads everyday won't even let me take it for a ride. The one time I did it was covered in salt.

B) No. They fit perfectly.

One thing I did notice on the old pipe that the cat held a lot of heat for almost 15 minutes. I wonder if that contributes to the heat problems that people have complained about with this bike in traffic. I can't test that either :)

I will say that the throttle response in neutral seemed better and I think you can hear and see it in the video. But that is jut a guess at this point.

My plan is to go get it on a Dyno after I put some miles on her and see what she does. I have a Dyno sheet of a 1190 standard on my possession from the same Dyno that I will be using. If it is not close or much worse I will be pulling the pipes until some sort of tuning is available. But I am not really in fear about any damage that could be caused by this.
  10. Dualsport Crazy

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million Wonway for your quick response :1drink

The weather is the same out here in Canada & has terrible this year. Will not be able to get my hands on the bike till April or hopefully earlier. The rock salt & de-icer is a pain, have to wait for a few good showers to wash down & then pull the bike out.

I'm sure your a 100% right with the cat causing lots of heat issues. Will look forward to your results from the dyno.

By the way the shorty Wings looks great..... Are you happy with the quality & finish its got !!!

Hopefully I should get my 1190R by the end of march & am looking at the Wings shorty along with a few other goodies.

Thanks once again ....
  11. Wonway

Wonway KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you what, I have had many bikes with many different exhausts including Termingnoni slip ons on Ducati's that were almost $3,000 and only made out of stainless steel. The fit and finish of the Wings can is better than those Termis and is Titanium. The clamps and hardware are precision made and not some cheap piece of metal simply rolled on a slip roll and basically just clamp to fit.

Thanks to this forum I gave them a try and couldn't be happier. And the service & shipping time directly from Slovenia was beyond expectation. In fact unbelievable.

I can't comment on the others saying that 2 cans for a 950/990 were cheaper, but perhaps it is the shipping or the fact that the 1190 includes a very nice carbon fiber heat shield that is embossed with the logo and looks terrific. Or maybe because it is a totally different design than any off the shelf can. Whatever it is, it is worth it IMO. Can you tell that I am pleased?

Do it and you won't look back. :wink:
  12. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    My experience and thoughts as well. :clap
  13. Dualsport Crazy

Oddometer:
    I currently have the Akras on my 2010 990R & just love em, but after reading on this forum about the wings on the 1190's & your suggestion I would definitely go for the Wings shorty :thumb

Thank you for sharing
  14. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    i have wings on my SE and love them. i have leo vinces on my 990 and love them. i have the akra on my 1190R that was installed by dealer before i bought it.
    DB killers removed last week but have not ridden it yet. ( it's in the shop for some major farkleization--40+ items!!) I've put 350 miles on 1190. will put 300 more on asap and get 600 mi svc done. then appt with tuner/dyno guru on march 1st. tuner can't wait to get his hands on this bike. he is very talented and has done wonders with my SE and my 990. so we'll see what he can get out of this machine with the insert deleted akra and stock ecu. anyone know if i'll need a power commander??: ( i'll have pre-op and post-op dynojet results). very intrigued by the arrow race system(cat delete) and shorty wing for my 1190. or 1 into 2 dual system. of course i already bought touratech panniers . prob won't work with dual system. I'm just sort of babbling. hmmmmmmm. ramblings of a ktm obsessed mind. :eek1:eek1
  15. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How can he adjust anything without adding a pc or similar?
  16. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    On my 12 SMT 990 as well as the older 990 Adv. you can make or buy a simple cable that plugs into the bike that allows you to tune the bike with free software program called TuneECU. You can change all sorts of settings as well as maps.
    I believe the new 1190 has the same plug but I don't know if anyone knows if it will work on the new bikes yet cause of the canbus system.
  17. Wonway

Wonway KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer:
    Oh noes! Not the magical canbus system :eek1
  18. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AS far as I know TuneEcu wont work.
  19. Harold Waikiki

Oddometer:
    he has a full on mobile dyno and computers that he takes to races, etc.
  20. Harold Waikiki

Oddometer:
    i will find out on march first hopefully.