Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    Hi Ron:

The big Scooters are neat machines. I do not have any dirt/offroad bikes at the moment. I am looking to add a street bike to the stable in '07 and will be finalizing my choice at the Toronto show in December.
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Yea, big scooters are cool. I mostly bought mine for when I ride with the wife, she loves the seat.
    Ngorongoro, you should post that you're going to be at the TO bike show in "Ontario Riders", I think a few of them are getting together down there.
    (PS: Man, your Manitoba insurance is brutal!)

Machster50, nice to see someone sign in from that area.

My Mom is from Kap, so I've been around that area a few times.
  3. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where have I been to miss this post and party invite?

Winnipeg check'in in. Toban is in/around Winnipeg too.
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I was wondering when you were gonna check in!
  5. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gimme plenty of notice and I should be able to partake. I'm toying with the idea going to Sturgis for a couple days too (August). In lieu of Christmas farkles (ok, ok...in lieu of LOTS of Christmas farkles), I've asked Santa for a kitchen pass for a few days moto-vacation. :deal
  6. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

Yep, plenty of notice! That's why I started the thread six months ahead of time!:D

7. Job with child and family services...six month contract...didn't save...got stuck...now slingin parts at the ford store

N.O.R.
  8. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    Yup, highest motorcycle insurance rates in North America.

My first motorcycle experience was as a youngster on my uncles' 80 cc Yamaha riding up and down the shores of Lake Wabigoon!
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    My brother lives in Hedingley, (right beside Breezy Bend Golf course)
    he pays something like 5X what I do for insurance. Insane!!
  10. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    He might even get the cheap rates because he's outside the perimeter.

Going up again next year :puke1
  11. Walub

Walub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Since I bought my bike this spring I have been having a blast with it but have not had much luck finding riding partners. Glad to know there are a few Winnipeggers who frequent this site. ZZR_Ron I think I talked with you about taking a short trip into northern <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ontario</st1:place></st1:State> for a weekend but it never worked out. Defiantly Count me in for some beer/camping/riding in spring. I really need read the regional forum more often.<o:p></o:p>
  12. Walub

Walub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The whole insurance thing really ticks me off. I could buy a new bike every 4 years with what it costs me in insurance. I have a brother who lives outside of the city and I am going to be giving him my bike next year so he can insure it for me. It is a little shady and I normally like to just pay my dues but they are forcing us to do that stuff. 1900 bucks for 650 for a year? It is just crazy. The fact that I have to pay all of that during the riding months and can't save by taking the plate off in winter just pisses me off more. I know a guy who is 55, rides a mid 90's Goldwing and lives in a small town. He pays over 1000 a year. 55 and riding a Goldwing how often is he going to get into an accident? It is just crazy. Someone at Manitoba Public insurance really has it out for us. They really need to classify us by age. Until I bought my bike this year I was not the kind of guy who wanted to organize and complain to the "Man" but this has made me want to do that. Why can't they let us have our hobbie without paying through the nose for it. Really they should be encouraging people to commute on smaller displacement bikes. It is much better for one person to ride a bike to work then to one person to take a car. Anyway Rant over. Whew I needed to get that out. Thanks for listening.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  13. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    I pay around $five or six hun for just liability,and I feel it is a bit much with a clean record,the multi-bike discount,loyalty and I tell them I am a member of a club CMA or whatever and that all adds up to 15% off the policy.Hard to believe the rates are so high over there.I know the listed bikes are high to insure here,I was running some #'s a month ago with the agent to see what some new bikes would cost.It is pro-rated,so Putting on an extra bike in Nov-to March is very minimal,but in summer its way up.Good reason to ride lots-you pay for ins-may as well ride,ride,ride.
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Walub, i think we did talk about a ride at one time, but I work shift, so things got screwed up.

As far as the insurance, I pay $406 a year for my 650.

BTW, I know about the insurance scam, I lived in Gimli for 5 years...

Autopac sucks!

EDIT: And yes, the reason I'm starting this thread so soon, is so
    people who don't make into this part of the forum have lots of time to see it.
  15. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about 800km outside your target range, but given my location, this is probably the nearest get-together, and I'm not averse to riding long distances. Depending on the timing, I might be able to make it. :deal
  16. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

Plus it's close to home for you. Aren't you originally from MN?

I'm only about 160 km from International Falls.
  17. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grainbelt - you can lead the convoy from Winnipeg as parade leader to make up for the extra distance. :freaky
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yessir, friends and family in the Minneapolis area. Might be able to get my brother up from Minny on his RD350 - sweet classic ride.

Humvee - appreciate the parade leader offer. Our head office is in Wpg, so I could potentially stop there, work for a day or two, and continue on. This is getting better by the minute.
  19. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    It's nice to see a good response from the Canadian Prairie contingent!

I've got thouands of kilometers of dirt road , two track for ya to ride.

And many hundreds of kilometers of abandoned rail line...
  20. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Here's a rail line pic. Abandoned from Souix Lookout, all the way down to
    Thunder Bay. Crossing the bridges is scary cool!!