Test Drove new liquid cooled 2013 R1200GS-So Glad I Did!!!!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BlindManJack, Apr 27, 2013.

1. nickgoa

nickgoa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me preface by saying I've pre-ordered mine...and I'm in the June build...July Delivery... and that was without even test riding one first...

with that said my take from the test ride the other day is that the front end is very light, it felt like I'm on a mountain bicycle. Or that the bike was a fake toy..I couldnt believe this was a heavy beast. I dont have experience with other GS or on/off bikes (previous bike was a Aprilia Futura Sport/Tourer...so I'm hesitant to say if I like or dislike it.

However they have done a remarkable job making a heavy bike feel THAT light... I can see how some might misjudge it as it causes them to feel unsafe.

My thoughts are that on unpaved road anything heavier could have an opposite effect and make it really hard to control...now it will just float...
    Plus the effortless steering will make for less fatigueing ride over all and in my oppinion shine in low speed in town bumper to bumper lane cutting scenarios that it flickers through traffic...

I guess I'll have to patiently wait and find out.

N
  2. airhawk1

airhawk1 Asspad Tycoon

Oddometer:
    Your point about feeling like a mountain bike is probably why I like it, because I mountain bike quite a bit. Again, the quick or "light" steering never feels twitchy or unstable, just a pleasure while negotiating the bike at slow speeds in tricky terrain. When cooking through the twisties, it is extremely stable -- it holds your line very well even in unsettled pavement, but if you need to change your line it does so quickly and without fuss.
  3. larryscustomcycles

larryscustomcycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode one in the dirt, had it for a day. Of course, I'm in Melbourne Australia and actually decided to rent one from here: http://offtrackmotorcycles.com.au/

I wasn't sold on it before I headed into the dirt, then switching it over to Enduro I couldn't believe how much it changed the bike. From what I was thinking was a fantastic road bike (assuming of course that this meant it was going to be awful in the dirt) to being stunned at how well it handled the dirt as well. My order will be in any minute now.
  4. Ridestrong

Ridestrong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was exactly my chief impression both times I test rode the new WC GS. Somehow they've lowered the center of gravity but you've still got the same amount of weight to "plant" the bike on the road, as you say,"never feels twitchy or unstable". My opinion, that's the best new feature of this bike. I'm not sure but it looks like the opposed cylinders are even positioned a little higher than previous models and to lower the center of gravity in spite of this seems pretty remarkable to me. It feels almost like I'm riding the power of 1200 cc's down the road on the weight of what might be a 650cc, but stable.
  5. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon ...riding California

Oddometer:
    The new GS is designed with it's competition in mind, including the multistrada. I test rode the 2012 GS and the ducati back to back and chose the ducati. Many others have done the same thing. The new GS has taken a step towards the Multistrada.
  6. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

I you think an exhaust and Power Commander on your 2010 GSA (with all that extra weight) surpass the 15 extra horsepower and 4 extra torques of the new liquid cooled boxer-- well...
  7. Wolftail

Wolftail Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I test drove the Water-Cooled (WC) 2013 GS too. I'm waiting for an adventure model to come out. The dealer said they haven't heard anything about it, but they said many buyers are buying 2013 oil-cooled bikes, just so they can get the adventure package.

In any case, I rode the 2013 WC GS at Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ. It was a base model without ESA. I have a 2000 BMW r1150gs with 22k miles on the clock that is absolutely flawless and has a heck of a lot of performance upgrades.

But, the 2013 WC is unlike any bike I've ever ridden. Period. The power was incredible. I was wearing the salesman's helmet and riding jacket. I didn't have any boots or protective pants, so I tried to keep things under control.

Though, I was hitting 80 mph., as if the thing was a sportbike The brakes are insanely powerful and crisp. I didn't give it full throttle, but I came close and the front wheel was barely on the ground. It would have power wheelied in first gear without any issues at all.

The windscreen's adjustability is pure gimmick. It's a nice try, but it still doesn't offer much protection. But, I think it will be much easier for the aftermarket crowd to work with.

I must agree with those who said the bike felt like an 800gs. It just felt light. It was very nimble and though this bike did not have traction control (just full power), it was VERY smooth.

This sound strange, but the only bike I can compare it to is my 2012 BMW S1000RR. The WC GS is that good. The demo was listed at $17k, which didn't include so much as hand brush guards.

But, I priced out one of the bikes they have that can be customized and has yet to go into production. For $21,000+/- I could get nearly every option, such as spoked wheels, vario luggage, GPS wiring (which is super cool actually), cruise control- CRUISE CONTROL on a GS? How cool is that...ESA suspension and LED headlight. The LED headlight is incredibly trick.

My 2012 S1000RR has 130 miles on it. Obviously, I'm not riding it much. It was $21k OTD. Though, I was just offered $7,500.00 for my 2000 BMW R1150GS. That's hard to pass up!

My only concern is how light this bike felt and if that light sensation is going to transfer over to the freeway. Under heavy power, it absolutely needed one thing, which was sorely missing: a steering damper. That's an easy fix and I'm sure someone will come up with one, as the power delivery on this bike is very surprising.

To me, it reminded me of the light, agile, and precise feeling of a Suzuki GS 500e (the naked version of the bike), but in a dramatically more refined package. I spent several hours with the bike, but it only took me 1-minute of riding to know that I wanted one.

I had no trouble touching the ground, and stopping with one foot, even though my inseam is just 29.5 inches. I'm 5'9" so my upper body is long (which is why sportbikes fit me VERY well).

This is absolutely a bike that the "kids" who can afford it are going to be turning into Super Moto bikes, like some have down with the multistrada. Having said that, this bike is in a league of its own. There's no comparison between the Duck and the Beemer. There is always the danger of buying a first year BMW, and that's why I'm holding off. I've been there and done that with BMW too often. I've learned my lesson, both with their automobiles and their motorcycles.

But, next year's 2014 model specs will be released within the next 4 months, at the latest. It's worth the wait. But for those who have no problem buying first year bikes (I only have this rule with BMWs and it's only based on personal experience, so don't flame me too badly), I'd say there's not a more refined motorcycle that BMW has in it's lineup.

At least, not in its performance lineup. This bike is going to be a game changer. It's going to be just like the 2000 r1150gs. Everyone else is going to be playing follow the leader.

if you have the cash or you're in the market for a new bike, you must ride this bike. I REALLY would not purchase this bike without riding it first. It's handling is vastly different from past GS'. Its handling is outstanding, but some may prefer the heavier feeling of the older design.

If I were to compare this to a car, the first that comes to mind is an Acura NSX. It can be driven like a Honda Accord all day long. But, on the weekends, when it's time to have fun, a few blips of the throttle turn it into a beast that few riders will ever be able to reach the limits of. This is the first GS, that I'd love to take to the track and see what it's capable of. It's that good on-road.

Unfortunately, the bike had 100% street tires on it, and I was nowhere close to any trails. But, with the seemingly drastic lower CG, this bike should fare just as well off-road as it does on-road. Again, I strongly recommend riding this bike before buying it, even if you must drive a couple hours to do so. It's so different from the other GS', you really can't trust your dealer if he/she tells you that the only difference is the water cooling. Wrong. It's turned into a Formula 1 "sport touring adventure, do-it-all bike." In fact, I believe it's created a new segment of sport touring bikes, that can carry enough "junk" to ride around the world, but will also cruise happily at 135-140 miles per hour. The bike I road had a 170mm rear tire on it, and it was clearly leaned over to the point that the edges of the tires were gumming up, just like an S1000RR.

Not a single complaint can be found. I can't wait to order one and I'm strongly thinking about breaking my own rule, regarding first year/first model bike purchases, in order to get my hands on one quicker.

Behind the S1000RR, it's the best bike I've ridden during the past decade, hands down. GO BMW!!!!
  8. leesoars

leesoars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Need some help out here. I've been riding for 51 years now and raced on and off road for a number of years. I ride about 20k a year on my 10 concours and my tricked out 08 klr. Would someone please explain the BMW GS to me. When I see a loaded GS coming down the road my heart skips a beat. So cool that's what I want to travel on, Oh the trips I could take on that bike. When I bought the Concours myself and my two V Strom riding buddies road a 1150 for about 125 miles through serious twisty road. We switched bikes frequently and as much as we all wanted to like the 1150, we all thought the V Sroms were quieter, smoother, and handled much better. For a LOT less money. I'm doing a four corner ride in a few months and with high hopes tested a new 1200 wc last week. I was so let down, I wanted this to be the bike. It had great power, but I have never heard a bike make this much noise. It sounded like a harvester in a rock covered wheat field. It also made a loud whooping pulsing noise at about 65, and the front end was kind of sketchy, on twisty pavement. also very klunky gear box. Is it me or is there a BMW gs thing like a Harley thing that I just don't get.
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some people really like the feel of a big twin. Some don't. You may be one of those who don't. Within the "like big twin" group there are sub groups: those who like boxers, like the V (Harley), like the L (Ducati), like the transverse V (Moto Guzzi), etc. If you like a boxer big twin you ignore engine noise, telling yourself that it only sounds louder because the cylinders are sticking out there in the wind.

I often tell new boxer riders to wear (better?) ear plugs... it makes their bike run better. :deal
  10. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I own an 08 MegaMoto, that is easily one of the greatest bikes I've ever ridden. I've test plenty of bikes, including GSs and GSAs. I really liked the GSA. I couldn't stand the gs. These were the oil head models. For the wc gs, the engine is nice, but it lacks character like my MegaMoto. The windscreen was shit. The handling was a bit twitchy for a bike like this. Someone nailed it. BMW went backwards to compete with the Ducati. I guess I'll wait for a GSA or I'll just pick up an 1100GS and build it the way I want it.

And yes, BMW has the same kind of loonies that Harley has. While at the "round the world/reveal" thing here in Vegas, some snobby gs and GSA guys were telling me to sell my "worthless" bike and pick up a "real" bike. When the BMW riders came in, three of them migrated towards my bike.

"Is this yours?" one of them asked.
    "Sure is," I said.
    "I have one back home. It's one of the funnest bikes Ive ever ridden," the Russian accented guy said.
    "Whatever you do... Never sell it!" the third guy said.
    I looked up at Mr Snobbypants and smirked.
  11. leesoars

leesoars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, guess your right about brand snobs. If it's got two wheels I love it. Just don't understand it. I guess thats why BMW coats cost 450 dollars more than some of the best coats. Had an 85 800 RT I rode the crap out of. Great bike, short gears, drum brakes and all. But if i'm going to spend a ton of money and spend 10 hr days on it I want it to be the right bike. There was a new 12 loaded gs adv sitting next to the wc gs, I'm sure I left some drool on it. I love the looks and the idea idea of riding it on some great rides. But I do that on my KLR, just closer to home. When I test ride a bike I try and get a vision of what it would feel like on a long day. I always wear earplugs but didn't when i tested the wc. When I got back I asked about the pulsating howl and the salesman tried to say it was the tires. Unless the tire had a bad spot in it tread usually does not make it pulsating sound. We put the bike on the center stand and it had about a foot and a half play in the drive train. Maybe something there. Bike only had about 100 miles on it. Oh well maybe wait for the KTM or the ADV to come out
  12. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess I will have to give the new WC GS a demo this summer. The front end can't be any quicker than my Supermoto! I have never ridden a GS so no preconceptions.
  13. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod I bought the wrong bike, once. Very expensive lesson. And it was a BMW, too. :rofl
  14. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I've been riding for29 years now, and always pretty much hated Harley's and BMW riders.
    To me they were nothing but posers, with their fancy and shiny bikes. and being a speed-addict most of my riding years I spend on cbr900, cbr1000, zx-9 and so on.
    Living not too far away from the German autobahns had certainly a positive influence on my riding style :D

All in all, I've actively raced for 9 years, been on the podium several times, was the overall winner on the Belgian endurance races in 2009, and even last year my best achievement was becoming 2second on the German Nurburgring 6 hours endurance trophy (out of 66 teams).
    This above, just to let you understand what kind of rider I am (and maybe in the very near future 'was')

SO, as of last month I became on of those "posers" on a brand new GS LC... :huh
    Yes, I find it making some strange noises, klunky sounds from the gearbox, every now and then there is this strange feeling going through my feet, like I just hit a brick or something :eek1.
    The front end isn't anywhere that I feel on my current trackbike. The brakes are so-so for me, and at speeds over 120mph it surely doesn't feel rock solid anymore :cry

BUT MAN, I'm becoming more and more addicted to this bike. Even with its (to me) minor flaws, I'm really having fun on the streets.
    I now actually understand the guys, travelling with their GS's and KTM's (still don't understand the HD fuss :D). They're just having fun on a bike that isn't 101% the way they want it to be...but then again what (or even who for that matter) will ever be the 101% you want it to be.

Since I'm a total noob on riding this kind of bikes their might be way better bikes than the new GS, but she already stole my heart, and 3 mayor trips to the Austrian alps are already planned :clap:clap
  15. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test drove,
    Will happily wait a few years to test drive the GSA version.
    I am 6'5" tall.
  16. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, I loved the new screen, works very well for me. Actually I don't agree with anything the naysayers listed. Great bike, love it and will own one in 2014. Only have 10.5k in my triple black so have to ride it some more. Different strokes for different folks sure is accurate.
  17. UtahDirt

UtahDirt What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer:
    My dealer received their second shipment of 9 WC's last Friday none spoken for, ALL were gone by Tuesday. This is the second shipment that went fast. Damn I snooze I lose. They order with all options, you can special order if you want. The new wire wheels sure look trick next to the oil cooled wheels.
  18. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have not had a test ride yet but as a new rider (4 mths on Tmax 500 scooter & 1 year on Kwaka Versys 650) I believe it will exceed my meagre requirements.

My bike is now in stock at my Sydney dealer but I am unable to pickup until mid may when my bike license goes to unrestricted from Learner/Provisional.

The waiting is killing me!
  19. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the part where I always want to ride right off the road and across someone's front yard or down the sidewalk to get around traffic? The bike is just plain comfortable to ride at the same time! I've never owned a BMW bike and have had various japanese sport bikes and Harley's. Never had as much fun on a bike as I've had in the past 450 miles on the new GS. Agreed that the brakes can be a bit better and the front end doesn't inspire confidence over 100 MPH but you can't possibly do everything great!

Just wanted to drop off my 2 cents....
  20. Starstriker

Starstriker www.transasia.se

Oddometer:
    Its funny, alot of people complain about noise, and still, they add more or less open pipes to their own bikes to make them sound more :rofl