GTA jacket repair

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Timo Explorer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Timo Explorer

Timo Explorer Trail Wizard

Oddometer:
    I have an Olympia AST jacket that I am very fond of. Would be much more fond of it if it was actually waterproof, but thats another thread. The zippers in the arms have split, and are in need of replacement. Does anyone know of a competent shop in the Greater Toronto Area that could make such a repair? I should look at replacing the whole jacket, but it fits and feels great, so looking for a repair place if I can get it done for reasonable costs. Thanks.
  2. IJM

IJM Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer:
    I had a a jacket repaired here quite a while ago and they did good work - still using the jacket 7 yrs later.

Sport Sewing Shop

1931 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M4L 2C2

416-690-4669
  3. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    I replaced the zipper in my Ralleye 3 myself. Doesn't look like i cut out old one with an axe. Kind of proud. Not that hard.
  4. ereneT

ereneT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know a lady downtown Toronto who works with leather, she did a nice job fixing my leather jacket. If you're interested I can go by her house and get her number .
  5. Timo Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all. I think I have found a place not far from home that can do the repair. Cheers.
  6. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Please keep us posted on how the repair goes and if you'd recommend the place.
    Thanks
  7. Timo Explorer

Oddometer:
    OK, got my jacket all fixed up and ready to roll.
    Went to a place called Freak-N-Leather, in Bradford. Its more of a leather chaps and black t-shirt type of shop, catering to the HD crowd, but no worries, they also have a great seamstress that they use for repairs.
    She replaced both long zippers in the sleeves, with heavier duty zips, mended some torn mesh on the inside of the jacket, and had it all done in 2 days. only $40.
    Excellent work, highly recommended. :clap
  8. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I wonder if that is the same place that used to be in Oak Ridges. Great to know. Price seams :D(couldn't resist) reasonable too.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some years ago, this shop repaired a 40 year old Woods canvas canoe pack for me; the stitching was rotted, they resewed it perfectly for very reasonable cost. It had sentimental value, as well a being functional.

Recommended.
  10. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a waterproof zipper for my POS Streetguard 3. Anyone come across any? I may have to get a regular zip.

No, it's not under warranty. I wish.
  11. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
  12. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Great tip thanks. I have lots of repair shops here but they're not interested in sourcing the zipper. Online shopping wasn't great unless I ship from Seattle but then I'm not sure what I'm buying.

Still snowing so I've got the time.